As an INFJ, do you have mood swings? | INFJ Forum

As an INFJ, do you have mood swings?

squashballer

May 29, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
With my recent ex, she brought up that I can get mood swings out of no where and snap out of them quickly too.
In fact I didn't really notice this that much until she told me.

When I think back to my childhood, I think thats the place it originated because I was always reserved and never spoke up. So while growing up I used to have these moments where I got really bottled up and exploded, verbally of course.

I have learned to manage that to an extent now because I tend to be more open and honest with my feelings.

Does anyone else had this experience?

INFJs seem to operate in a way which is entirely calm and collected the majority of the time, while also having a proprensity towards short random bursts of insanity - particularly among those close to them.

'tis quite fun.

Me-thinks this thread is relavent here:
http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=3241

Last edited:
With my recent ex, she brought up that I can get mood swings out of no where and snap out of them quickly too.
In fact I didn't really notice this that much until she told me.

When I think back to my childhood, I think thats the place it originated because I was always reserved and never spoke up. So while growing up I used to have these moments where I got really bottled up and exploded, verbally of course.

I have learned to manage that to an extent now because I tend to be more open and honest with my feelings.

Does anyone else had this experience?

Yes, of course. I think the frustration an INFJ feels at not being understood may force out explosions. My outbursts usually come after a long period of holding my feelings back. Now I just say whatever the hell I please. I feel much more at ease with myself.

INFJs seem to operate in a way which is entirely calm and collected the majority of the time, while also having a proprensity towards short random bursts of insanity - particularly among those close to them.

'tis quite fun.

Me-thinks this thread is relavent here:
http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=3241

Interesting Wyote, the only calm INFJs I've ever met were on SSRIs. Fiery, intense, turbulent would be more descriptive of INFJs than calm.

Interesting Wyote, the only calm INFJs I've ever met were on SSRIs. Fiery, intense, turbulent would be more descriptive of INFJs than calm.

I know one other INFJ besides myself in real life, and we fit Wyote's description. Well, I don't know her well enough to see her have a fit, but that is what I do. I'm no longer on any psychotropic meds too.

I would think that if an INFJ is fiery and noticeably turbulent that they have some major life stressors that are difficult to deal with.

INFJs are:

-Private
-Sensitive
-Quiet Leaders
-Abstract Communicators
-Artistic
-Mysterious, Complex

I'm with Dragon on this. If they appear turbulant, something is very wrong. I think many are mentally turbulent, but it is not noticeable to most.

Last edited:
I know one other INFJ besides myself in real life, and we fit Wyote's description. Well, I don't know her well enough to see her have a fit, but that is what I do. I'm no longer on any psychotropic meds too.

I would think that if an INFJ is fiery and noticeably turbulent that they have some major life stressors that are difficult to deal with.

That's not my experience at all. Now INFPs...for the most part I would describe as 'calm.' I've met a handful of INFJs from radically different places and they're usually intense, brooding, fireballs. I have never once met a calm INFJ. Never.

I do however meet a lot of folks on meds who describe themselves as 'calm', but if I were them, I would be hard-pressed to type myself under an influence other than my own, true emotions.

Heh, perhaps I merely wish others didn't notice my intense brooding...

:m206::doh:

I don't think anyone has ever said i come across as calm. I am easily stressed, I worry about most things, I'm very intense and create problems that are not there. And yes I often swing from very stressed to in a good mood as well. I have a fiery temper but its easily placated, I never sulk and am easy to calm down if you say and do the right thing. i know a couple of INFJs as well, one who gets very obviously stressed, the other who actually appears calm most of the time but she bottles it up and basically gets depressed if she does this for too long.

yes i have a lot of mood swings.....

i am turbulent now, and yes something is wrong with me... something is wrong with my life.....

but i easily go from a bad mood to a very very perky and good mood...

and most of the times, only my close friends and family notice it....

and people who don't take time to understand why i go through these things, only see me as an aggressive, uncaring, spoiled, blah blah blah (all the bad traits they can think of)

I AM VERY INTENSE

I actually totally recognized what Wyote said about INFJs being calm most of the time and then having short bursts of (extreme) insanity. I'm really surprised that this isn't universal.

I'm always intense of course, but that's beneath the surface. I usually shove that part of me away because it's really not conducive to functioning properly in the world around me. Of course occasionally it surfaces in the form of before mentioned insanity.

I just noticed that I have frequent mood swings as I was talking to one of my ex girlfriends and she literally told me that my mood swings freaked her out. I hadn't notice until now that it is true. She went further to tell me that I acted like Edward in Twilight in the beggining of the book and I couldn't deny it to her because it was true.

My moods internally can jump around alot of I am under stress. However, they seldom leak outside of me and others will very rarely see this.

The old saying, "Beware of the quiet ones." has been applied to me.

Though, I have mellowed some with age.

I am so glad I found this site. I thought I was the only one who feels like I'm going crazy!!! Yes, I have mood swings easily changing from a bad mood to a really good mood, but co-workers and acquaintance type friends never really notice. Most often those are the people who compliment me saying I'm always so happy and smiling and I think to myself ...really? because I don't see myself that way.

With family, close friends, and loving relationships it takes alot for me to get upset but when I do get upset it's a short burst of raging insanity...within minutes I'm apologizing for being so out of control (because I feel so much better and bad for my behavior) and can calmly talk about what's bothering me. Like Nicola Jane said I have a fiery temper but its easily placated, I never sulk and am easy to calm down if you say and do the right thing. I can forgive and forget just from having my feelings acknowledged. It's pretty hard on relationships, most can't accept the insane outburst with the quickly calm and much happier transition.

That's not my experience at all. Now INFPs...for the most part I would describe as 'calm.' I've met a handful of INFJs from radically different places and they're usually intense, brooding, fireballs. I have never once met a calm INFJ. Never.

I do however meet a lot of folks on meds who describe themselves as 'calm', but if I were them, I would be hard-pressed to type myself under an influence other than my own, true emotions.

Maybe what Indigo said is a better description. I don't usually act crazy and intense, though I definitely can.

Yes, major mood swings. To the common stranger I am reserved and nondescript. To the people I'm close with, I am a firecracker.

If I was an INFJ I probably would carry around a knife and wield it any time someone said a morally offensive statement.

I have mood swings. It used to be worse, I think I've mellowed out with age and meds. haha... But, I am very selective about who gets to see the waves below the quiet exterior. Its all about trust for me.