Are you or your emotions in control? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Are you or your emotions in control?

I feel there are appropriate places that I can let my emotions run wild and other places where I need to rein them in. I kinda feel that knowing the difference is what maintains a civilized and evolved society.

i don't know if anyone here is involved in therapy or spiritual practice but they can make your emotions way more intense, you really dive right in and can find out what you're doing and why. hell i didn't think i had any emotions a few years back, but when i did, this was similar to how i dealt with them, probably still do sometimes
To a point. It varies. I'm a lot more in control than I used to be.

I've always had a fail safe though. I call it my robot mode. When pushed too far, my feeling literally shuts off totally. This used to be quite more pronounced and was quite a shock or frustration to some people, when they wanted me to see their way, or connect, or empathize, or even be able to manipulate me - it simply would not work.

now it's like if i take a second to tune in to myself i can probably find out which one i'm dealing with at basically any given moment, i mean we are always experiencing something, i just don't always want to know lol. but i can't help but be influenced by them, i mean if i'm angry i think angry, i walk angry, it doesn't mean i pick a fight but yeah they still sway me for sure. like even going to a movie to calm down is still being influenced, i'm trying to get away from it you see? and i think most thoughts are generated from emotions, where else would they come from? i mean like, why else are they there? for example i'll notice if i'm feeling, lets say empty, then my mind'll be going nuts, trying to keep me from feeling it, trying to distract me or find an activity that'll get me away from that feeling, it's like they work together but they're def connected from what i can tell. getting off topic but yeah def influenced by emotions one way or the other, and i can see now it was probably always this way, it's just more about if i'm aware of them or not.

wELL (oops, capslock) I'll be goddamned [MENTION=2263]bagelriffic[/MENTION] , welcome back!

Why are you and your emotions two separate entities?

Why are you and your emotions two separate entities?

thats a really good question, guess its been awhile since ive talked about these things with others and my current understanding of stuff like this is different than the way most ppl see it.

gah this is going to start to sound esoteric and i've gotten flak for that before so i'll try and keep it.. mainstream.

as i said in the beginning if you get involved in therapy, particularly depth psychology, object relations theory, or eastern spirituality or philosophy, stuff like that, you start noticing that tendencies, habits, desires, emotions, is all shit from the past basically, and that you don't need to see that stuff as who you are, actually its our belief in it that keeps it going. one easy way of seeing this is that when these issues are allowed and fully understood for what they are, then they go away, they stop appearing in your experience. and if it disappears and i'm still here, than it can't be me.

but yeah this isn't necessarily some weird spiritual "all is one" stuff, maybe thats the truth i don't know, but this is modern psychology, they all adhere to this stuff too, its actually pretty weird to think that society (in the western hemisphere anyway) see the importance and significance of modern psychology, and yet most of us don't even know what they've discovered about who we are. its pretty mind blowing stuff.

I think I am generally in control - the only time I feel myself losing control is with my best friend, because I trust so much, I find myself sometimes being too honest about what I feel, and sometimes saying things that I had not wanted to say, simply because I couldn't hold the emotion in anymore. Usually I try for quite a while to hold in it, but I know that eventually it will come out, and I've heard that diffusing it and letting it off little by little it better than bottling it up until it explodes.

I used to always censor my emotional expression, I never expressed any emotion until I was confident it was "right" for me to feel that way, but now I tell myself that feelings are just feelings and you can't control them, and it's okay to be honest about what I feel, with the people who are closest to me. You can't control what you feel (you can only control your actions).

Your emotions are separate from yourself because sometimes you feel things that you know would be wrong to act on. Then it's like a battle between your emotions and yourself. Your emotions are just another part of your brain that affects you.