Are Platonic Relationships a Myth?

not sure

On Holiday
Feb 10, 2011
MBTI
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I was browsing YouTube when I ran into an old favourite. Just Friends is a song about a man having trouble convincing his friends that he could have a platonic relationship with a woman. Well my question, "Is it possible for heterosexual men and women to have purely platonic relationships?" I say that they can but, I would love to hear your opinions.

It isn't necessary to listen to the song. If you listen and need help following the lyrics, there is a link below. The lyrics are in Jamaican Patois but Standard English speakers should understand with a little stretch of their imagination.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4WA3jWtFHQ"]YouTube - Tony rebel & swade-JUST FRIENDS[/ame]

http://www.free-lyrics.org/Tony-Rebel/292363-Just-Friends.html

Yeah, I think platonic relationships are absolutely possible. I have quite a few. Most of my friends are male and there is no sexual tension or attraction on either side, in most cases. Sure some of my male friends would jump if I batted my eyes at them, but most just see me as one of the guys. I like it that way. Much less messy.

But why address this question from only the heterosexual standpoint? What about two gay guys being completely platonic? Or two lesbians? Any input there?

Yes I think so, though I would guess they are less common than friendships in which one or both friends would be willing to sleep with each other.

I'm not sexually attracted to every man I would be friends with. I think I've had several platonic friendships.

I have had several platonic relationships with males over the years. I have always thought of these guys as brothers, so the idea of being intimate with them is actually pretty gross in my eyes.

If I personally don't find them attractive it's very possible. If I know them well enough to know that a relationship isn't something I'm looking for with them then it's also possible.

I'm friends with an ex and it's completely platonic because I know it won't work, and I have a lot of platonic friendships with females from work or classes as well.

Yeah, I think platonic relationships are absolutely possible. I have quite a few. Most of my friends are male and there is no sexual tension or attraction on either side, in most cases.

But why address this question from only the heterosexual standpoint? What about two gay guys being completely platonic? Or two lesbians? Any input there?
+1

I would say that the fact that the pool for suitable partners for gays is so much smaller that platonic is not the primary goal but may creep up as a consolation.

yes, it's obviously very possible, not even thread material.

yes, it's obviously very possible, not even thread material.
I really don't see how it is void of thread potential. It's something people potentially could disagree on, and is one that some popular culture seems to propose is not possible.

Yeahhh because not everyone is heterosexual...

I would say that the fact that the pool for suitable partners for gays is so much smaller that platonic is not the primary goal but may creep up as a consolation.

But is platonic really the primary goal for most single people? There may be some that are fine on their own, but aren't most people looking for that special someone?

I don't know. Yes in a way that acts are platonic, but does that mean that no side wants something more. Even wishing hug could be non - platonic...It is too strict, but the fact is that we like/ love our friends, lovers etc. in complete. If someone is close to me, really close, then I feel need for some sort of physical closeness (as I said touch, hug, shaking hands)...

So, for me - no. I don't know for others.

To people who's [F]eelings run there life, yes, functional platonic relationships are extremely rare...

:m173:

It is totally possible but it's rare.

My best friend is a girl, I just see her as a friend but she is in love with me.

Also I have another good friend that's a girl, she just sees me as a friend but I want to mount her like a lion.

In most cases one person is attracted to the other. I think platonic relationships usually happen in cases where two people have know each other for years and lose interest in each other but still maintain friendship.

its just hard for me to imagine because i'm never like lets fuck lets date i dont care about those things so if it's not platonic that's totally not MY fault

:m173: Intelligence Is a Turn On.

Most all my friends are intelligent. Most of my friends are also male.
Problem? Not Really.

its just hard for me to imagine because i'm never like lets fuck lets date i dont care about those things so if it's not platonic that's totally not MY fault
@Slant

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8tyehOb5dE"]YouTube - The BloodHound Gang - The Bad Touch Lyrics[/ame]