Are INFJs really that rare? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Are INFJs really that rare?

I don't think Japan favors introversion nearly as much as you assume. Traditional Japanese societies is quite different from how western Japanophiles tend to think of it. They may have some large geeky communities, but these are generally shunned by the more mainstream and traditional members of the society. In the Asians I know extroversion is definitely the norm in their in-groups, although they may act introverted around strangers. Asian culture tends to be very Judging too.

I read somewhere that extroversion and judging preferences are both favored by the needs of agricultural societies. Apparently in bands of hunter-gatherers introversion and perceiving preferences are much more common. INFP is supposedly a common type among Australian Aborigines. In most societies natural selection has preferred EJs since the neolithic era though.

I am glad you mentioned these points. I work with mainly Asians from Asia and I am left wondering where this idea that they value introversion comes from, I often feel tempted to tell them to get with it and that we are not in some rice paddy back in 1920 and we do not have to be stuck together all the time. They just seem to be very group oriented and they just do not understand that I do not really want to work in groups with them to do every thing. My personal opinion is that the ones I work with tend to dislike loner types and people who dislike working in groups. I do believe that beyond the superficial politeness, they do like and expect EJ-ness more than most in western societes and their J tends to be very big when you get to know them. Even the introverts amongst them seem to be really good at playing along and expect to work in groups and be around others as much as possible because they conform to expectations well. I would rather to working with westerners due to this if I am honest.

From my work and travels, I think the people who most appreciate introverts overall are strangely Africans and countries like those in the Caribean with people of African descent. They tend to leave you alone and think quiet people are just terrific and must be intelligent. Even though a lot of them are extraverts they seem to place no real value on extraversion and they tend to attach all sorts of positive attributes to people who speak little. The whole hunter-gather thing you mentioned is interesting.

I think in my experience (or lack of experience), I have never,
once met an INFJ that I have been consciously aware of.

So I guess it depends on individual experiences, whether one type is rare or not.
A type can't be called "rare" anymore if you have met 5-10 of them.
It goes against the meaning of "rare".

Last edited:
I really do think so....the mix is oddball and unique. Even the one friend I thought *could* be INFJ turned out to really be an INFP :( ~(Actually two of 'em). I think INTJs and INFPs are a lot more common although they're also rarities.

maybe i wanted to feel special, but i think i mainly just always felt very different from people around me. when i first did an mbti test i became a bit emotional because it just made sense. i wouldn't say that it made me feel special so much as it validated and helped me to understand my feelings of difference to some extent. and i think we are probably less frequent in the population than other types.

I concur.

INFJs arent that rare actually, they are just so reclusive they cannot be surveyed to weigh in.

INFJs arent that rare actually, they are just so reclusive they cannot be surveyed to weigh in.

actually we're even more rare than we seem. we're overrepresented in the literature precisely as a result of being so reclusive and sitting at home taking personality tests on the internet while everyone else is out "interacting".

actually we're even more rare than we seem. we're overrepresented in the literature precisely as a result of being so reclusive and sitting at home taking personality tests on the internet while everyone else is out "interacting".

Speak for yourself.
I've only taken 8 personality tests this month.

I know only one person I would designate a definite INFJ, and that person is not on the forum. I use this person as a measuring stick for all the would-be's-- like me.

[MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION]

I'm much too skeptical >_<

How are you doing?

one day all of you doubters will be sorry. when i take over the world and imprison you for the good of mankind.

we are... the defeated :m095:

shows what you know.

I'm sorry, did you say something? I couldn't hear you over the sound of me busting out phat beatz yo

:drum:

They hide in books, journals, obsessive friendships, obsessive romances, and online forums.
They live in their own world in homes made by gnomes.

bingo. Lot of ESFJs and ISFJs and especially INFPs being mistypes as INFJs all over the internet.
IMO intelligent Sensors tend to mistype as intuitives because of popular prejudices about S vs N that filter into popular internet tests. And because of the bigoted "S = Stupid and Shallow" notion

Reactions: the
I don't doubt the 1% statistic. If it's true that INFJs are inordinately interested in typology, wouldn't they be most eager to take the personality surveys? And if they are most willing to produce surveys and to take them, wouldn't they show up as more than 1%? Are INFJs inclined to lie on personality surveys? People's statements show that INFJs want an accurate typing of themselves and would even take multiple tests. Are a vast majority of INFJs mistyped so that the true statistic is far greater than 1%? Even if all ENFJs were supposed to be INFJs, the numbers wouldn't exceed 6%.

I could go on a rant about how being an introvert is easier, but I won't because I like the monkeys whoever decided to put them as smilies is a genius.
I concur 100% with aforementioned monkey observation. :m183: Creator of monkey smilies, we salute you!
I don't doubt the 1% statistic. If it's true that INFJs are inordinately interested in typology, wouldn't they be most eager to take the personality surveys? And if they are most willing to produce surveys and to take them, wouldn't they show up as more than 1%? .

So wait a minute... I'm notoriously mathematically challenged, but...
If I go out to a concert any given friday night, venue capacity 300, there'd be 2 other INFJs there... Awesome. That's 2 more than I thought there'd be. Have to start making new friends...
And if you live in New York there's a whopping 81 751 (and a partial) INFJs running around!!!!
;D