Aphantasia, Internal Monologue, and you! | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Aphantasia, Internal Monologue, and you!

5, though I would've been like 2 when I was younger. I have an internal monologue but it's largely under conscious control.

I think internet use fucked with my visualizing abilities because I do it more when I haven't been online for a long time. But I don't think that's all of it.

Also when it comes to characters and things I'm imagining for myself I visualize more, maybe at the level of flashes of 2-grade images.

Reactions: Wyote and Reason
This thread has been super fascinating, thanks for starting it @Reason

Number 1. If anything I cannot seem to stop picturing things in my head. As if I'm drugged by my own mind. I think it is a coping strategy that I developed to survive social situations.

I have an internal monologue, but it is not necessarily what I default to. It's interesting that this discussion tends to be framed more as a matter of ability rather than preference. An example being my creative process which is often abstract and I feel little need to assign words to it. Whereas, my internal monologue kicks in when I'm reading, recalling a conversation or, in some cases, when I'm stressed.

...0. not being edgy... i seen the apple with out closing my eyes, the moment apple was spoken. (same with various nouns.) but it's a split second.

my inner dialog... is rampant. It makes it a challenge to read with out music... but specifically... what do you kids call them nowadays... instrumentals...

back in my say we had called the music you kids do as the Vivaldi spaz!

1, but it is green, my lips are parted, and I can taste the sour notes on my tongue, like sweet granules of sand dissolving, juicy ripe and fragrant.
that sucks cuz i know now that is what i have been missing , every thing says i should enjoy reading but never seen any point they were just words on paper . my ex mother-inlaw rest her soul , loved to read because she would place herself there with descriptive writting . so it is true people can see inside there heads ..... damn no wonder this has been a tough road i cant see where im going or supposed to be . damn

Reactions: Anomaly
i know what an apple looks like same with my paintings all landscapes but when i try and see an apple where one dose not exist (in my head ) nothing . i brought it up because as im getting older my memory is not as sharp as a tack anymore so if i forget what something looks like i may never see it again unless presented with it , lost all the time cant picture roads or places iv been. meditation and self hypnosis ,i want to belive will help but , im afraid i waited to late in my life to start a who am i and why journey, something i have pondered on my whole life . thanks for the input , and good life to my fellow introverts

Reactions: Reason
I'll ask 1M questions before we arrive with a picture in my head. If you say apple as in fruit or brand.. then I'll think of all them kinds.. so it'll start as 5 then 1.

:tired: I'm told i complicate things even the simplest questions.

I'm in an eternal internal monologue since forever.

Now I'll internally monologue this thread and how I responded to this thread. Thanks reason.
THIS!!! Except I do have like... first visuals upon hearing something like Apple. I will see the apple...in very vivid detail. I will hear the crunch of bites, and remember the taste of juice, and then I will think about things that are connected to apples... like fall... pie, candy apples, then what those things remind me of, like carnivals, cotton candy, ferris wheels, then on and on... its really just a string of rabbit holes.... :/

My inner monologue is constant. It argues with itself too. Or it is arguing with me? Is it me? Arguing with myself? *has crisis*

YEAH... thanks @Reason. :p

Lovely thread actually. Just found out my bf has Aphantasia. Weird.

Reactions: Reason
If asked to picture an apple, which of these is in your head?
View attachment 81528

Follow up question, do you have an internal monologue?
I don't know how anyone can see something they can't see. What's there is just an idea, even if u "shape" it as an apple.
If there was little distinction between what you saw and what you imagined, that would seem problematic (to me at least).

Are we talking Smeagol internal monologues or like dialogues between different parts of oneself?
giphy.gif

Apple #1 but displayed on a tattered projection screen, if that's helpful.

As for internal monologue: yes. His name is Phillip. He's acerbic. I don't like him.

Apple #1 but displayed on a tattered projection screen, if that's helpful.

As for internal monologue: yes. His name is Phillip. He's acerbic. I don't like him.
:tearsofjoy: lol

I also have an internal monologue, and often at night it won't stfu. The latest was rattling on about the possibility that we're all a cast of characters for alien entertainment like on 'The Truman Show'. If only we could find the door. Maybe, the door is death? (Edit to expound: Maybe the real, reality is ... 'out there'?)

:thonking:

Either way, it only shuts off when I'm extremely exhausted. Otherwise, it's a sea of questions that circle around whatever the main thing is, until I can resolve it or categorize it into my internal gridwork of understanding.

Wishing you and Phillip well. lol.

Last edited:
:tearsofjoy: lol

I also have an internal monologue, and often at night it won't stfu. The latest was rattling on about the possibility that we're all a cast of characters for alien entertainment like on 'The Truman Show'. If only we could find the door. Maybe, the door is death?

:thonking:

Either way, it only shuts off when I'm extremely exhausted. Otherwise, it's a sea of questions that circle around whatever the main thing is, until I can resolve it or categorize it into my internal gridwork of understanding.

Wishing you and Phillip well. lol.
That is too weird. I watched 'The Truman Show' two days ago after having thoughts similar to yours. :laughing:

I don't know how it started but it involved Simulation Therapy, solipsism, Jim Carrey and inner whispers telling me that I may very well be Player 1. :sweatsmile:

The most helpful tool I've come across for dealing with a busy mind prior to sleep is "Cognitive Shuffle". There is also an app, because of course.

Reactions: Reason and Anomaly
That is too weird. I watched 'The Truman Show' two days ago after having thoughts similar to yours. :laughing:

I don't know how it started but it involved Simulation Therapy, solipsism, Jim Carrey and inner whispers telling me that I may very well be Player 1. :sweatsmile:

The most helpful tool I've come across for dealing with a busy mind prior to sleep is "Cognitive Shuffle". There is also an app, because of course.
It's a favorite movie of mine, given the implication therein. I enjoy a bit of playful postulation regarding existence. Though, it can also take me to some very dark and ominous places rather quickly. Last year, I almost lost my life due to that line of thinking. I won't go into detail now, but it is certainly a risk to venture past a certain point.

As for your second statement... lol. We must be accessing the same wavelength. ;p

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll check out the app. It might prove useful in aiding in better sleep for once. The insomnia has been rampant lately.

It's a favorite movie of mine, given the implication therein. I enjoy a bit of playful postulation regarding existence. Though, it can also take me to some very dark and ominous places rather quickly. Last year, I almost lost my life due to that line of thinking. I won't go into detail now, but it is certainly a risk to venture past a certain point.

As for your second statement... lol. We must be accessing the same wavelength. ;p

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll check out the app. It might prove useful in aiding in better sleep for once. The insomnia has been rampant lately.
There is a certain point, you're right. I hope you're doing better now. And I hope the tool is useful for you. It is suppose to trick the brain into a state of hypnagogia. I don't know what wavelength you and I are accessing but it is certainly not for everyone. :tongueclosed:

Reactions: Anomaly
There is a certain point, you're right. I hope you're doing better now. And I hope the tool is useful for you. It is suppose to trick the brain into a state of hypnagogia. I don't know what wavelength you and I are accessing but it is certainly not for everyone. :tongueclosed:
Yes, doing a bit better, thank you.

Haha, that's fine. I am okay exploring most anything in thought. It's nice to meet a fellow traveler on the road to 'knowing'.

Reactions: Ulla Lulla