A philosophical debate - Tools | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

A philosophical debate - Tools

That's true, only their actions can be considered to be good or evil, and even then, those terms are subjective.

The idea of a tool possessing special 'power' is a pretty ancient belief -- i think that's the basis for voodoo and the like (you create a tool or a fetish and then it has a power of its own).
Hahaha, no I don't mean that kind of power. Nothing metaphysical in what I'm saying. I'm talking about about the power of corruption. I thought I had explained that. Nothing to do with demons or monsters or something...

Hahaha, no I don't mean that kind of power. Nothing metaphysical in what I'm saying. I'm talking about about the power of corruption. I thought I had explained that. Nothing to do with demons or monsters or something...

Now...power can lead to corruption quite easily. Harnessing great authority and power is like unto learning to drive an old muscle car around town....somewhat.

Temptation is conceived in the mind. Self-control is built in the mind. The act of killing is controlled by the mind.

Just me put it perfectly.

Just me put it perfectly.

Why thank you, Quinlan.....speaking simply works for me as well when something is so cut and dry. I cannot do that often enough.

Although I can understand why an INFJ might not see a gun for what it is and are more likely to see it for what it means, a symbol more than an object.

I'd say that tools are nothing in-themselves. They are what we make of them; that is why we made them.

I think we are tools.

I took this photo at work one morning...

Ductape.png

DUC TAPE

Hmmmm...okay so which airline is the one I should NOT be flying on?

Funny how guns were singled out for this debate, when a better argument can be made against the neutrality of tools using money.

Money is ultimately an abstraction of the objective world. Now most transactions are electronic, so that not even the money exists anymore. Anything can be assigned a value. The problem with such an abstraction is that it separates us from a relationship with that which sustains us, and that there is no limit. This is especially dangerous in an economy driven by credit.

Credit is currently pulled out of thin air and must be paid back plus interest. This means enough must be produced to pay back the credit, the interest, and make a profit or else the money created will be valueless. This can result in over-exploitation.

You could also argue that guns abstract killing in such a way that knives wouldn't, making it easier to kill.

Reactions: acd
Don't worry. It's a Fiji Airline.

And duct tape has way more uses than 1001. It is a wonderful invention made into reality.

Duck tape is standard for Qantas flights.

And duct tape has way more uses than 1001. It is a wonderful invention made into reality.

I only said 1001 uses cause I have a book literally called,

"1001 Uses for Duct Tape"

It gets the point across that Duct Tape is very useful at least :p

I only said 1001 uses cause I have a book literally called,

"1001 Uses for Duct Tape"

It gets the point across that Duct Tape is very useful at least :p

It truly is.

It is particularry fun when it involves holding someone down in a chair :tongue1: