Your Parents (and Their Types) | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Your Parents (and Their Types)

• Thread starter Deleted member 16771
  • Start date
Nuh uh sister girlfriend!
giphy.gif

An INFJ with an ESFJ mom and an ENTJ dad. An INFP brother (possibly INFJ, but I'm leaning a little towards INFP, and we're a year apart and practically twins, so I know him very well), and a sister that I'm 99% sure is an ISFP. We are all adopted, but me and my brother are the only ones who are biologically related. Vast difference within the family, but me and my brother are close and biologically related. Modern psychology, though very unsure, guesses that personality is a mix of biology and environment. It basically has no clue. But this is interesting to note. I've never met my birth mother, but I want to soon. I have three years of college left since I'll have to take an extra year, but I want to meet her within the next two. Maybe I can find something out then.

An INFJ with an ESFJ mom and an ENTJ dad. An INFP brother (possibly INFJ, but I'm leaning a little towards INFP, and we're a year apart and practically twins, so I know him very well), and a sister that I'm 99% sure is an ISFP. We are all adopted, but me and my brother are the only ones who are biologically related. Vast difference within the family, but me and my brother are close and biologically related. Modern psychology, though very unsure, guesses that personality is a mix of biology and environment. It basically has no clue. But this is interesting to note. I've never met my birth mother, but I want to soon. I have three years of college left since I'll have to take an extra year, but I want to meet her within the next two. Maybe I can find something out then.
After posting this last comment, I ended up contacting my birth mom. She's definitely an INFJ. She never married, but from what she told me is that my birth dad was for sure extraverted, and seemed to be sensing and perceiving. I would say most likely an ESFP. Interesting. Of course I'm very happy to have been able to contact her and she is too. Thanks lads, this led me into something amazing :)

After posting this last comment, I ended up contacting my birth mom. She's definitely an INFJ. She never married, but from what she told me is that my birth dad was for sure extraverted, and seemed to be sensing and perceiving. I would say most likely an ESFP. Interesting. Of course I'm very happy to have been able to contact her and she is too. Thanks lads, this led me into something amazing :)
Wow, well that's something. I don't know what to say, but this is obviously amazing. :smiley:

Hi all, so last week I watched a video from INTJ & INFP Coffee and the INTJ there (Alex) mentioned that her mum is an ESFJ, just like mine, which got me wondering if there's any pattern between the types of our parents and our types.

In my case, I'm an INTJ and my mum is an ESFJ. While I was raised just by my mum after the age of about 5, I reckon that my dad was probably either an INTJ or INFJ from what my mum has said. I'll post a little conversation we had about it today (anonymised) so you can see how I came to that conclusion (also she's cute :smile:).

So guys, what about your parents? What were they like, what types do you think they were/are, and how do you think that has influenced your own personality type?

Dawww.. :grimacing:

Ok, personally tested my mother. Off the charts ENTJ.

My father, INTJ / INFJ border

EDIT: Me - INFJ with overly developed Te

I have an ISTP mom(!) and I believe my dad was an INFP. But he died ealry on so now my step-dad is ESTJ. I go along very well with him but I strongly dislike my mom. She is selfish, bad with money, impulsive, quick tempered...It took a lot of hours of therapy to get over the damage she made. And my sliglhty neurotic temper (which I am improving constantly) is all down to her.

There are lot of ways parents can fuck up their kids. At least I am not too-dependent. I have some attachment to my twin sisters and my step dad. But my mom literally makes the place worse. When she went away on business trip or something, I remember how happier everyone was.

Her newest achievment was to be a victim of an online scam so now everyone has to suffer because of her stupidity.

The less I talk about this the better. I really like my grandparents though:

Maternal grandmother: ISFJ
Maternal gradfather ESTJ
Paternal grandmother: ISFP
Paternal grandfather: ENTJ

Last edited:
Reactions: BritNi
Mother: ENFJ
Father: unknown lol. Surely introverted though. Possibly INFP

Reactions: BritNi
My immediate family is split into Si/Te and Ti/Se users.
Mother is ISTJ
Father is ISTP
(For giggles: Older brother is and ISTJ and younger brother is an ISTP)

I'm the only Ni/Fe user. My extended family lives about 2 hours away, and only saw them on major holidays. I'm pretty sure this cemented my E4w5 nature. I felt odd, like an alien. I look a lot like my dad so I knew I wasn't adopted. I talked about topics they thought were weird and my focus was on the future and understanding people. I use humor as armor. It makes me feel more accepted and I like making people laugh.

Mom (Si/Te) never talked about large life themes or how she felt about things. I've never had a heated political, religious, or social debate at one of my family meals. I cannot think of one. I could always tell what Mom was worried about though. She would only talk about it and want to plan out the details. And repeat it out and repeat it to reinforce the plan. My common response was "I KNOW MOM....gosh. I got it the first time." She was really only focused on the immediate logistic plans on how to get thru the day/week. No long term vision or planning. She did not understand other people well. She was cautious and rigid, almost mechanical in her thinking or approach. Very direct communication. She is fiercely loyal to her family and I always knew my mother loved me unconditionally but I realized around age 13 she didn't understand me or my point of view.

Dad (Ti/Se) does not talk about his thoughts or feelings. He likes to talk about what he physically experiences. Largely visual stuff too. What he physically sees. "I saw xyz person the other day. Did you see Avengers yet?" Ti/Se/Ni makes him quiet but a different energy than me. I'm usually thinking about random high level inner world stuff, I'm literally not present when in my head. My dad is present and watching something. Looking at a wildlife or trees to determine what they are, watching how someone is walking, feeling what way the wind is blowing, etc. He can tell you the best way to throw a curve ball and shows love by doing or teaching you something physical. He used to love to wrestle with us on the ground. He loves to watch movies and I share that with him. I want to talk about the deeper meaning or theme of the film. He just really wants to experience it. A good movie to him is all about if the experience was fun. Critical plot examination is usually not his thing. He'll agree with my analysis or remarks though but he usually hasn't thought about it.

Growing up as an INFJ my primary function stack is the polar opposite of my mother. It's like we're from two different planets. It's frustrating to have to slow down and talk thru the specifics. My father and I share functions but they are different orders and strengths. He can vaguely read the energy in the room but not understand how people feel. It's common for him to make a joke but not understand the audience. I can read the people in the room and understand the social dynamic quickly and understand what is required of me. I'm interested in people and relationships. He's interested in how to do things better and practicing them until mastery. We're both social introverts. We enjoy time with other people but need alone time.

Last edited:
Here are a few generations of my family for anyone's curiosity/study/theories. All types by my husband (an aspiring personality theorist) and those with * have taken tests as well.

*Mom: ESFJ-T
Bio dad: Exxx (Divorced when I was very young and haven't talked to him since)
*Uncle, Mom's Bro (raised me as my dad): ESTJ

Adopted Bro: ExxP
*Me: INFJ (Yes, growing up was hard)
*My Hubby: ENFP

My Kid #1 (f): ExTJ
My Kid #2 (f): IxSP

Reactions: Asa
Hi all, so last week I watched a video from INTJ & INFP Coffee and the INTJ there (Alex) mentioned that her mum is an ESFJ, just like mine, which got me wondering if there's any pattern between the types of our parents and our types.

In my case, I'm an INTJ and my mum is an ESFJ. While I was raised just by my mum after the age of about 5, I reckon that my dad was probably either an INTJ or INFJ from what my mum has said. I'll post a little conversation we had about it today (anonymised) so you can see how I came to that conclusion (also she's cute :smile:).

So guys, what about your parents? What were they like, what types do you think they were/are, and how do you think that has influenced your own personality type?

Your relationship with mom looks really great! What happened with your dad, if I may ask (sorry if you already shared this elsewhere)?

I think feeler parents are generally better, I wish I had them.

TJ parents with Fi family values are also good in their own way, but not always the best for emotional support, Except if their Fi is very developed ofc, like it seems with you and in a lot of INTJs.

FP parents can be a bit overprotective (especially IFP), while TP parents can be too loose and un-involved. This is probably the worst type of parent.

Just some stereotypes ofc. I think I will be a good parent because my Fe is really integrated and I have a good INFJ partner. But most TPs aren't like that,