Your Parents (and Their Types) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Your Parents (and Their Types)

• Thread starter Deleted member 16771
  • Start date
which got me wondering if there's any pattern between the types of our parents and our types.

I enjoyed reading the lovely conversation between you and your mum. :) I particularly liked the part where she said you only have your father's best qualities.

My mom was ESFJ
Dad INTP
Brother ISTP
We all have Fe.
All my grandparents had Ne/Ni, and three were introverts.
All my brother's kids are introverts, as well. Very few of us are the same type.

the way I present myself online is completely different than in person. I would say I’m more comfortable expressing myself online rather than irl.
Online introverts seem extroverted, and extroverts can seem more introverted because they're off being extroverted and not online.

@neko - When I learn more about your background I want to give you the biggest hugs. I feel so sad for you, but I also know you want to live a happy life, so I try not to dwell or draw attention, and just want to send you cute photos of kittens and cartoon animals being cute and be silly. <3

A bit off topic and may warrant it’s own thread but do any of you introverts wish you where extroverts and vice versa?
Could maybe be it's own thread, but...

No. I like being introverted.
I do admire extroverted, outgoing, and charismatic personalities and how easy it is for them to connect with people and make everyone in the room feel great just by being themselves, but I wouldn't trade it for the INXX life.

Thanks for sharing I will create my first ever thread!

I’m interested in knowing exactly which aspects of introversion you value and why you wouldn’t want to be without that? You can answer on my brand new thread!

Give me a mo

I enjoyed reading the lovely conversation between you and your mum. :) I particularly liked the part where she said you only have your father's best qualities.

My mom was ESFJ
Dad INTP
Brother ISTP
We all have Fe.
All my grandparents had Ne/Ni, and three were introverts.
All my brother's kids are introverts, as well. Very few of us are the same type.

Online introverts seem extroverted, and extroverts can seem more introverted because they're off being extroverted and not online.

@neko - When I learn more about your background I want to give you the biggest hugs. I feel so sad for you, but I also know you want to live a happy life, so I try not to dwell or draw attention, and just want to send you cute photos of kittens and cartoon animals being cute and be silly. <3
Aww.. that’s very sweet of you, Asa..
This is why I don’t talk about my background much, though.. I don’t want to make people sad or uncomfortable, and I don’t want anyone feeling sorry for me! In a lot of ways I’ve been very lucky and I prefer to focus on that <3

My mom is ISFJ and my dad is ISTP. My two older brothers are ESTP and INTP. All four are ridiculously true to the stereotypes of their type, and a dream to study function wise.

My dad was not emotionally present, and didn't show much (if any at all) empathic understanding when raising us, nor did he understand that children were children - not stupid adults. He showed his love by teaching - and showing us all sorts of crafting techniques, hunting/shooting/slaughtering, how to make beer, wake us up at night to watch some nature phenomenon. He also made us handcrafted toys.

My mom was the sweetest, most loving and caring mother anyone could ask for. She was always emotionally available, secure/stable/predictable and comforting.

The two compensated for each other till they were parenting us from opposite poles.

I read somewhere (Dario Nardi, I think) that children of sensor parents often compensate by developing intuition. It's funny because my INTP brother and I are the two youngest and closest in age - and the ones who was most affected by the polarized parenting. I can easily see that we both are a 50/50 mix of our parents if you look at our behavior and preferences, but we became the intuitive versions of that mix. My oldest brother basically became an exroverted version of our father. Neither of our parents have Te or Fi, and non of us got those functions. I got my father's functions, but my mother's stack in a sense. My brother got a mix of both functions, and my father's dom function, but has something in common with Mom that I don't have. I suspect that the split of "good and bad" parents made us develop and rely on intuition to make sense of what was going on, when the sensory information wasn't enough to feel in control/safe.

As far as I can tell:

Mother ISFP
Father ENFJ
Brother INFP
Maternal grandmother ESTJ
Maternal grandfather xNFP
Paternal grandmother ESFJ
Paternal grandfather ISFJ

With me added as INFJ, this means exactly 4 sensors and 4 intuitives in the core family. My maternal grandfather may have been an introverted ENFP or an extroverted INFP, I can't make up my mind.

As far as I can tell:

Mother ISFP
Father ENFJ
Brother INFP
Maternal grandmother ESTJ
Maternal grandfather xNFP
Paternal grandmother ESFJ
Paternal grandfather ISFJ

With me added as INFJ, this means exactly 4 sensors and 4 intuitives in the core family. My maternal grandfather may have been an introverted ENFP or an extroverted INFP, I can't make up my mind.
AWWWWWW
look at all those feelers! <3

To be honest... I've no idea about my family's personality types and I don't like to assume someone else's type.

If I would have to guess:
- Mom: INFP
- Dad: ENTJ
- Brother: ISTJ
- Sister: ENFP

Dad - INTJ
Mom - ESFJ
Brother - INTP

My mom and brother fought like cats and dogs. Now I understand why.

First time I took MBTI, I got INTJ. Sometimes I feel like an honorary NT. I was always closer to my dad and brother, and have had so many deep, philosophical, intellectual conversations with those two. I still occasionally wonder if I'm actually INTJ or INTP. I'm also Ennea 5w4, so maybe that combined with the fact that I have high Ti, and that my brother and dad are both NTs could explain why I second guess my INFJ-ness sometimes. Could inf-Fe manifest as aux-Fe when you're put in a position as a child to be the peacemaker while simultaneously being emotionally abused?