xNFPs and making faces?

WellNoWonder

Peace Through Action
Dec 10, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've noticed that my sister (INFP) and hubby (ENFP) really wear their emotions/thoughts on their faces.

They swear that they aren't making, which I find hilarious because they do the oddest facial contortions I have ever seen in my life.

Has anyone else noticed this amongst NFPs??

I can do any face yes, and my face easily expresses my inner state, unless I'm playing poker, in which case I put the ISTJ rock-professional face. :D

Meanwhile, I always wondered how can INxJ's faces be so deceptive about their true inner state. It's like they don't even know how to use their faces; they learn it from books. It's very interesting, because I'm such a good people reader in real life, and INxJs are so hard to read; so they are very attractive.

I just love the face that my ENFP friend makes when she sees the guy that she is in love with or talks about him, I can even guess when she is thinking of him because she makes that face. I so love to see that face.

Meanwhile, I always wondered how can INxJ's faces be so deceptive about their true inner state. It's like they don't even know how to use their faces; they learn it from books. It's very interesting, because I'm such a good people reader in real life, and INxJs are so hard to read; so they are very attractive.

I don't think that we are being deceptive on purpose, you can often read here how INFJs feel discontented from their physical bodies. I myself have been in so many situations where I felt that from the inside I'm burning with thousand fires, and you could never guess that by the way that I look from the outside. And even when I try to use my face as a means of expressing something I feel like I'm acting, that it's not natural, although people rarely see through it.

Reactions: Wyote
Hehe, that's Fi for you!

Unlike Fe, Fi is not aware of itself, so the person's face will contort in ways that reflect the Fi user resonating with some thought, but they won't be aware that it is coming out on the face.
Fe on the other hand is actually meant to let people know how we are feeling or how they should feel, so we Fe users (Including INTPs which have Fe as only an inferior function) are always aware of what our face is doing.

This is actually a great tip to keep in mind when typing people, looking to see if their mouth is aware of itself.

Interesting, I didn't know this was more common among xNFPs. One of the INFPs I know is able to conceal her thoughts/feelings quite well, both through her facial expressions and tone of voice. That may have been borne out of circumstance though. I can't speak to the other INFPs and I don't know any ENFPs.

I definitely wear my emotions on my face. It takes concentrated effort for me not to, and even then it's not easy to do. I also have an extremely hard time pretending to feel something other than what I feel when I'm expressing myself. I can do it in miniscule amounts but not well for a sustained period of time. Eventually, something in me snaps. But to my awareness I'm not an xNFP.

Last edited:
Woot! This is my department...

Yes I do wear my emotions on my face! I can't hide it even if i wanted to.

I also make silly faces!

I've been told that I have a very expressive face, and I do boast supreme facial muscular control. Thing is, I'm good at facially pretending to be happy or sad when the need arises.

@ DefectiveCreative - this one is even better, this girl is so funny, and the faces she makes... fantastic

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkIJZZgrO8U&feature=related"]YouTube- My Life as an INFP[/ame]

Actually, I think she is a mistyped ENFJ, that is Fe on her face, it is aware of itself.

How do you get that she is aware of herself, besides the obvious that she is seeing herself in the screen while filming :D ?

How do you get that she is aware of herself, besides the obvious that she is seeing herself in the screen while filming :D ?
Because her face is being used to charm and accentuate what she is saying, which is what Fe does, not Fi. An Fi user would actually be articulating through Te which is actually inexpressive. so even though some Fi would come into their face, it would not be for the purpose of intentionally sending a message like Fe does.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt3eVC0ycGA"]YouTube- Patty the INFP[/ame]
INFPatty is great example for what I mean by articulating with Te, considering she has very well developed Te. So her articulation is actually quite "still faced", but as an Fi dom she is not exactly emotionless, and you can still see Fi come into her face at certain points. But she is not really using that expression as an intentional too for communication and accentuation, not trying to "seduce" you with it.

Haha, cool video. No way that girl's an INFP though, ENFP fer sure (IMO anyway).

I thought ENFP too but I wasn't sure. Glad to hear it corroborated by an INFP :smile:.

I'm not so sure about ENFJ. Perhaps her Fe is strong, but I don't get the ENFJ vibe from her at all.

I thought ENFP too but I wasn't sure. Glad to hear it corroborated by an INFP :smile:.

I'm not so sure about ENFJ. Perhaps her Fe is strong, but I don't get the ENFJ vibe from her at all.
I would say that using Fe to express outright negates the possibility of her being ENFP, because ENFPs do not use Fe as a conscious function. But that understanding of cognitive function theory doesn't seem to fly around these parts.

So instead I'll say: Is it only because she seems silly? I don't see why it is not possible for ENFJ to know how to be funny.

Because her face is being used to charm and accentuate what she is saying, which is what Fe does, not Fi. An Fi user would actually be articulating through Te which is actually inexpressive. so even though some Fi would come into their face, it would not be for the purpose of intentionally sending a message like Fe does.

INFPatty is great example for what I mean by articulating with Te, considering she has very well developed Te. So her articulation is actually quite "still faced", but as an Fi dom she is not exactly emotionless, and you can still see Fi come into her face at certain points. But she is not really using that expression as an intentional too for communication and accentuation, not trying to "seduce" you with it.

Interesting!

And through which function you think that INFJ would be articulating?

I like Patty, I saw several videos of her previously, there is something in the way that she talks that's amusing, and I think that I could go listening her for hours.

I would say that using Fe to express outright negates the possibility of her being ENFP, because ENFPs do not use Fe as a conscious function. But that understanding of cognitive function theory doesn't seem to fly around these parts.

So instead I'll say: Is it only because she seems silly? I don't see why it is not possible for ENFJ to know how to be funny.

It's not her silliness. It's more of an overall vibe that I got, one that's quite strong.

Last edited:
Interesting!

And through which function you think that INFJ would be articulating?

I like Patty, I saw several videos of her previously, there is something in the way that she talks that's amusing, and I think that I could go listening her for hours.
They would articulate through Fe, actually you can go back up to what Therefore Chris just said. What he said sounds like he is quite aware of his Fe's facial awareness, and how he can actually use it.

I'm an INTP, and only have Fe as an inferior function, but I too articulate through Fe, and even though I don't have as much facial dexterity as the ExFJs an IxFJs do, I'm still very aware of what my face is doing, and I do still use it to charm and accentuate through expression.

They would articulate through Fe, actually you can go back up to what Therefore Chris just said. What he said sounds like he is quite aware of his Fe's facial awareness, and how he can actually use it.

I'm an INTP, and only have Fe as an inferior function, but I too articulate through Fe, and even though I don't have as much facial dexterity as the ExFJs an IxFJs do, I'm still very aware of what my face is doing, and I do still use it to charm and accentuate through expression.

Thanks again.

I got what Therefore Chris wanted to say, I do that also, just I might be too aware of my own deliberateness in it, and for some reason I don't like it much.

FWIW I came to my conclusion that she's an ENFP by comparing her video first to myself (obviously) and then to other MBTI type videos on youtube. By doing that it's clear that she's definitely not an INFP, and she's very different to the ENFJs on there too. She is, however, very similar to the ENFPs.

Interestingly, one of the videos hers is the most like is frezned's ENTP video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T0GuglxtXA"]YouTube- ENTP[/ame]

Which to me indicates that she's without a doubt an Ne dominant.