Would you live forever if you had the choice? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Would you live forever if you had the choice?

In a way we all already have just never in the same crappy physical bodies, would I want to live the life I got now forever hell no as I would wish what I deal with on anyone. The real you is already old with years without number and forever more eternal.

JennyDaniella said:
In realistic terms; let’s say humanity didn’t ever improve, it just continues the way it is now— then I certainly wouldn’t want to continue living extendedly for eternity

In practice I'm very open to the idea that life may be terrible/not worth it

And if humanity never develops the technology for interstellar travel, or some other civilization changing technology, it's hard to imagine that you wouldn't start to view everything as mundane and bleak after a while.

Well I'm pretty much all theoretician, so as long as I have pen and paper I'm good lol there's never a dearth

But the way things are going, I think advancing technology is going to be the least of our problems --- that seems like it's right on track

I don't think boredom is the likely issue in either practical or theoretical scenario so much as how bad the world will look --- e.g. horrendous suffering makes it so no amount of technology may be worth it. If the world is full of wars, suffering, etc

I'd totally live forever if I could take breaks during bad stuff and the people I cared about also all chose to live forever with me and never fought with me in some weird immortal cyber samurai war where I could also end up being tortured for a millennia or something.

Basically no. Too many more horrible scenarios are possible than my feeble spirit could probably handle. Getting kicked out into the most empty part of space and being all alone for billions of years? Hard pass.

What do you do when the sun dies or eats the earth? This planet isn't going to be here forever. Maybe we will be able to move to other planets by then, or maybe not.
Once we figure out how to upload our consciousness into a robot...the universe is the limit.
Then the question is...do we just have a fancy copy then who thinks it's you, or is it you?
Does it matter?

A bit conflicted as the more I think about it. On one hand I would love to see how humanity turns out. Will humans evolve or be destroyed? Then there’s the other part of where being able to live forever you would have to go through so many hardships from seeing the ones you care about die.

I’d probably choose to live out a bit longer maybe just for a couple hundreds or so (of course retaining my physical looks and body) though not forever.

Barring things like the death of our sun, yes.

Also, I would need to stay young/youngish and not continue to age indefinitely.

I pictured a bog person or the 3,000 yr old Luxor Tomb mummy.

that's not too bad a look. for a dog. I got a mental image of a ancient vampire with zombie movement and excess elephant like skin. would you rather live as a dog if you had the choice? or another animal?

Good question!

When talking about how our "energy" becomes new life after we die, and how that is a semi form of reincarnation, I told my SO that my energy (or some of it, because that is how it works) came from an animal. I connect more easily with animals and I "always" have, and like most INFJs (as well as INTJs and INFPs), I feel "other" amid humans. I like humans, but I don't fit in and I am not understood in most cases. I'm saying this on the forum because it should be relatable for others here. This was also all a hypothetical conversation and I know it isn't that simple.

...So, all this said, I like the idea of living as an animal (not a slug, but maybe a deer, or a tiger, or something). It is likely best for me to continue being a human, though. If we are living "forever" it is important that we be able to communicate what we have learned with others. I could protect animals as a human, too.

What would you choose?

I pictured a bog person or the 3,000 yr old Luxor Tomb mummy.

Good question!

When talking about how our "energy" becomes new life after we die, and how that is a semi form of reincarnation, I told my SO that my energy (or some of it, because that is how it works) came from an animal. I connect more easily with animals and I "always" have, and like most INFJs (as well as INTJs and INFPs), I feel "other" amid humans. I like humans, but I don't fit in and I am not understood in most cases. I'm saying this on the forum because it should be relatable for others here. This was also all a hypothetical conversation and I know it isn't that simple.

...So, all this said, I like the idea of living as an animal (not a slug, but maybe a deer, or a tiger, or something). It is likely best for me to continue being a human, though. If we are living "forever" it is important that we be able to communicate what we have learned with others. I could protect animals as a human, too.

What would you choose?

Very relatable. I feel like I connect with animal more easily to. Their energy just feels more pure and honest. I definitely feel different than other people.

If I were to be immortal I'd want to able to communicate properly with humans too, and help shape a better future for the place. So I don't think id pick an animal form. If I had to id prolly pick wolf.

I don't think our minds are designed to live past our lifespans. I've thought about the prolonged or immortal life question before. It would be torture to watch loved ones die. This is painfully clear to me when thinking about my children, I don't think I could willingly watch them get old and die. Sooo If it was truly by myself I would not sign up for it willingly.

If it was something that could be replicated and others could join in the experience - maybe. I worry about what my "humanity" would look like in 100 years. I'm 35 and have moments where I look around and feel like something is very wrong with the world and humanity.

I will say the idea of using prolonged life to explore the universe and set up colony's on other planets appeals to me. I think my immediate focus would be environmental sustainability. I sincerely worry about the world's environmental health.

Nope, 100 sounds good to me. I don't have a desire to live forever. Which surprises me. At this point, I'm just happy every year I have. I'd have the same issue as others, watching your children die. Unless they would have immortality with me. In that case, I wouldn't mind seeing the world with them, experiencing different civilizations. Now, kinda depends too on how we are defining immortality. Is it also being invincible and never being able to die but still aging, or just the ability to living past 120 to maybe 200 or more, ageing or not ageing, because I would not want to be 200 and experiencing the natural ageing process we do now. I would look and feel like a raisin. :D Ageing would have to stop at 50 or 60, and that will be fine. But I would want everyone to have that option. I 'd feel totally weird if family and friends aged and I didn't. So, kinda depends, I guess.