Would you kill a puppy for $1000000? | Page 34 | INFJ Forum

Would you kill a puppy for $1000000?

Here's how people want to see nature:

[video=youtube_share;vX07j9SDFcc]http://youtu.be/vX07j9SDFcc[/video]

Here's how nature actually is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZRw0IYdf3g

Wow, thanks!
As an adult and a person with an IQ over 49, I had no idea that life wasn't a fucking Disney movie.
But maybe I do have a mental disability since I can't figure out what your point is.
Please explain it to me, and make sure you don't use any words over two syllables.

Reactions: the
Who knew that puppies could cause such discord. :(

I'm still waiting for "Would you kill a puppy for $1000000? (part 2)."

'Would you kill a puppy for $1000000?' I've decided it's totally pointless reflecting on this again, the likelihood of this situation happening is so low that it is just wasted thought. This thread had might as well be called: 'What was your life like when you were your own father?'

Firstly- This is one of the best threads on this forum. Its awesome having to think

Secondly- How can anyone be so offended by a question? Its a question- it cant hurt you. Thinking about things and challenging yourself is healthy. Of all the shit that has happened on this world and is happening right now, thinking about whether you would or not kill a puppy for a million dollars is not the end of the world. If it makes you uncomfortable- than great- it probaby should. Better to think about it and understand it rather than hiding your head in the sand and allowing this stuff to happen while you claim ignorance.

Thirdly- I am confused by the number of people on this forum that think taking human life is no big deal. It is a big deal. Each person is the same as you. If you are not willing to kill yourself, or your own family, why the hell are you so willing to kill someone else or their family? You are no different and not better than anyone else. Everyone has the same right to be here as you. You are not the judge of who should live and die. You are just the same as everyone else. Equal. Equally awesome, individual, unique and equally full of shit.
People that kill others are hurting themselves and all humanity. Most people that go into war are effected badly and can become traumatised. It is a big deal to kill someone. In my personal opinion it should be a big deal to kill an animal as well, even for food.

And lastly. I have changed my mind since my initial response. A lot has happened since then

This is a really good question and has made me think.

When I first saw it, i thought 'no' instantly.
Then I realised I was a hypocrite

On reflection, yes, I would kill a puppy for a million dollars. I would probably eat it, have something made out of the hide or even stuff it. I know that sounds creepy but I would do this so that I always remember that I took this creatures energy so that I can be better off in some way. I would have to look the puppy in the eye and kill it myself, and then live with it everyday from then on.

This has made me think of a lot of different things. The majority of people that are wealthy are at the expense of the life and quality of life of other humans and animals. How many times have you mindlessly had a steak, chicken, burger, pizza whatever and thought about the fact that you are eating the life of another? Is a dog better than cows and chickens? Where is the money going each time you buy this meat? Probably some rich twat that is rich at the expense of everyone else. How do you know that your clothes, shoes, bags and other crap dont come from a sweat shop? Where are your savings invested? Rather than mindlessly making rich people richer and contributing to the chaos of this consumerism we should try and be aware of all the harm our purchases may be causing.

So if essentially if I profit by taking the life of this puppy I want to be able to do it in complete self awareness and with gratitude and acknowledgment to its spirit.
The only circumstance I would not kill this puppy is if it was someone's pet.

I have changed my lifestyle sufficienty enough now that I can safely say I wouldnt kill this puppy for a million dollars. I dont need a million dollars to do anything I want or to be happy.
Since I first read this thread, I have put this question to many of my friends and aquaintances. Its is a great question to learn from. And thinking about this has helped me be less of a hypocrite in my life and i am much happier for it.
I have no idea what the OPs intention was when this thread was started, but Im thankful because it has actually had a positive effect on my life- so Thank You.

am I the only person that is shocked and appalled at how many people say they would sooner kill a human fucking being than a puppy? Don't get me wrong here, I don't like killing stuff either, I'm not a hunter and I wouldn't kill an animal unless I was going to eat it, but really?

In terms of numbers, a human being has more potential and capability of causing greater harm for a longer period of time than a puppy does (dog life span, 15 years, human being, 77. Humans can kill long range and in mass quantities without their physical strength factoring in due to weapons, dogs can only kill one at a time within their physical ability). Therefor, it would be purely logical reasoning to consider killing a human being to be the lesser of the two evils.

Firstly- This is one of the best threads on this forum. Its awesome having to think

Secondly- How can anyone be so offended by a question? Its a question- it cant hurt you. Thinking about things and challenging yourself is healthy. Of all the shit that has happened on this world and is happening right now, thinking about whether you would or not kill a puppy for a million dollars is not the end of the world. If it makes you uncomfortable- than great- it probaby should. Better to think about it and understand it rather than hiding your head in the sand and allowing this stuff to happen while you claim ignorance.

Thirdly- I am confused by the number of people on this forum that think taking human life is no big deal. It is a big deal. Each person is the same as you. If you are not willing to kill yourself, or your own family, why the hell are you so willing to kill someone else or their family? You are no different and not better than anyone else. Everyone has the same right to be here as you. You are not the judge of who should live and die. You are just the same as everyone else. Equal. Equally awesome, individual, unique and equally full of shit.
People that kill others are hurting themselves and all humanity. Most people that go into war are effected badly and can become traumatised. It is a big deal to kill someone. In my personal opinion it should be a big deal to kill an animal as well, even for food.

And lastly. I have changed my mind since my initial response. A lot has happened since then

I have changed my lifestyle sufficienty enough now that I can safely say I wouldnt kill this puppy for a million dollars. I dont need a million dollars to do anything I want or to be happy.
Since I first read this thread, I have put this question to many of my friends and aquaintances. Its is a great question to learn from. And thinking about this has helped me be less of a hypocrite in my life and i am much happier for it.
I have no idea what the OPs intention was when this thread was started, but Im thankful because it has actually had a positive effect on my life- so Thank You.

I agree and think its an awesome question.

I never meant to offer a humans life easily. I just defied someone to explain how one life is more important. How is your life more important than another living creature, except to you. But explain to me, or some other thing why it should kill the puppy instead of you.

I know it's a divergence slightly from the question. But to your point as to why it's a great question is it makes you consider these points.

I think you would have to convince me the puppy doesn't miss it's brother, sister, mother. Was completely not self aware, and I think to a degree they are.
I make comments like that and get I'm too emotionally involved with my pets.
Whether I'm involved or not doesn't change the point. Why is person x's life more important.

Thanks for your post.

I agree and think its an awesome question.

I never meant to offer a humans life easily. I just defied someone to explain how one life is more important. How is your life more important than another living creature, except to you. But explain to me, or some other thing why it should kill the puppy instead of you.

I know it's a divergence slightly from the question. But to your point as to why it's a great question is it makes you consider these points.

I think you would have to convince me the puppy doesn't miss it's brother, sister, mother. Was completely not self aware, and I think to a degree they are.
I make comments like that and get I'm too emotionally involved with my pets.
Whether I'm involved or not doesn't change the point. Why is person x's life more important.

Thanks for your post.

Thanks for your post! I think you have raised very important points to consider

I dont think that you are too emotionally involved with your pets. You love your pets, you care about them, your care for them, you understand them, they are a worthy part of your life. The main reason I dont have a pet is because I know that I have/would become emotionally attached to them. That is the kind of mindblowing intensity I feel with my daughter and the reason why I dont want to have any more children- the emotional attachment is too strong, particulary because I feel responsible for her/ take care of her. I guess at some point this love I feel for her has been extended to all others, as well as an appreciation of how much all others also love their children. So I completely agree with you- my life, or my daughters life is no more important than anyone elses, including yours or your pets. All life is priceless and a million dollars is cheap. The pain we all feel when we lose our loved ones is the same, and I dont see the point in comparing, or judging the value or worth of any life. We have no right. Its the same- a connection that was forged and nutured is now lost.

I do firmly believe that all life is sacred, and this banner includes human life. I find it impossible not to see myself reflected in others- we all want, need, and are deprived of the same- which is unconditional love and true self acceptance. I know that we do some really horrific, stupid things and the state of humaity is sad. But I think the only reasons we do these things is fear, ignorance and laziness. We are terrified of undertanding ourselves and letting go of maladaptive and destructive thought patterns, behaviours and cultural values. But I dont believe that life is suffering, and something to be tolerated while we look at others with contempt. Life is and can be so much more, it has unlimited potential and possibilities. To live is to create- life is whatever we make it. I have absolute faith in humanity and have met and experienced too many amazing people to think otherwise. Its our cultures and institutions that I despise. And it is so sad to see so many beautiful people hating themselves and others because of the ridiculous ideas and irrelevant morals and beliefs that they have been enculturalised with.

In regards to animals being self aware- this is something that I have spent some time thinking about. I know with certainity that dolphins are self aware, as are cats, many apes, some birds, and dogs to a different degree. The self awareness is confronting and instantly changes the way that we should interact with these beings. I saw a powerful documentary called 'The Cove', (only watch if you have a strong stomach- its very graphic) that had an incredible influence on my perception of the way humans interact with dolphins and other animals. For me, it is literally the equivalent of aliens invading earth and caging us is in zoos for their personal entertainment and thinking that they are superior to us simply because we cant communicate in the same language. And for a more eclectic and radical view- Seth (from the seth materials) has some fascinating ideas about our relationship to animals and how this has evolved over time and through culture.

In terms of numbers, a human being has more potential and capability of causing greater harm for a longer period of time than a puppy does (dog life span, 15 years, human being, 77. Humans can kill long range and in mass quantities without their physical strength factoring in due to weapons, dogs can only kill one at a time within their physical ability). Therefor, it would be purely logical reasoning to consider killing a human being to be the lesser of the two evils.

its not right to kill someone based on their potential or capacity to do harm. Potential is just potential, and can be used in a beneficial way. As long as we live in a world with free will, we have no right to judge and punish someone for their possible actions, only their materialised ones.

its not right to kill someone based on their potential or capacity to do harm. Potential is just potential, and can be used in a beneficial way. As long as we live in a world with free will, we have no right to judge and punish someone for their possible actions, only their materialised ones.

I'd agree, except for the fact that most people eat more than a single puppy does and their diets are based mostly on the death of another animal. Therefor, most human beings following such a diet are causing actual harm, not just a potential one. A dog might also be a carnivore, but compared to the number of animals it's capable of killing for food, vs. the number we do on a daily basis, the puppy is still the lesser threat.

Reactions: Quiet
Thanks for your post! I think you have raised very important points to consider

I dont think that you are too emotionally involved with your pets. You love your pets, you care about them, your care for them, you understand them, they are a worthy part of your life. The main reason I dont have a pet is because I know that I have/would become emotionally attached to them. That is the kind of mindblowing intensity I feel with my daughter and the reason why I dont want to have any more children- the emotional attachment is too strong, particulary because I feel responsible for her/ take care of her. I guess at some point this love I feel for her has been extended to all others, as well as an appreciation of how much all others also love their children. So I completely agree with you- my life, or my daughters life is no more important than anyone elses, including yours or your pets. All life is priceless and a million dollars is cheap. The pain we all feel when we lose our loved ones is the same, and I dont see the point in comparing, or judging the value or worth of any life. We have no right. Its the same- a connection that was forged and nutured is now lost.

I do firmly believe that all life is sacred, and this banner includes human life. I find it impossible not to see myself reflected in others- we all want, need, and are deprived of the same- which is unconditional love and true self acceptance. I know that we do some really horrific, stupid things and the state of humaity is sad. But I think the only reasons we do these things is fear, ignorance and laziness. We are terrified of undertanding ourselves and letting go of maladaptive and destructive thought patterns, behaviours and cultural values. But I dont believe that life is suffering, and something to be tolerated while we look at others with contempt. Life is and can be so much more, it has unlimited potential and possibilities. To live is to create- life is whatever we make it. I have absolute faith in humanity and have met and experienced too many amazing people to think otherwise. Its our cultures and institutions that I despise. And it is so sad to see so many beautiful people hating themselves and others because of the ridiculous ideas and irrelevant morals and beliefs that they have been enculturalised with.

In regards to animals being self aware- this is something that I have spent some time thinking about. I know with certainity that dolphins are self aware, as are cats, many apes, some birds, and dogs to a different degree. The self awareness is confronting and instantly changes the way that we should interact with these beings. I saw a powerful documentary called 'The Cove', (only watch if you have a strong stomach- its very graphic) that had an incredible influence on my perception of the way humans interact with dolphins and other animals. For me, it is literally the equivalent of aliens invading earth and caging us is in zoos for their personal entertainment and thinking that they are superior to us simply because we cant communicate in the same language. And for a more eclectic and radical view- Seth (from the seth materials) has some fascinating ideas about our relationship to animals and how this has evolved over time and through culture.

First, just want to say I loved this response. Again, I don't know if it's an INFJ thing, but posts like this where I feel I can relate usually seem to be other INFJs. Just happy cause this is new in my life and what brought me here.

I zoned in on your intensity with your daughter. You go as far as to suggest you shouldn't have more kids. I posted somewhere to someone on this forum about loneliness, I think. I explained my life is small, but I intentionally keep it this way. I have my wife. With all the reverence and respect I can be, I love her everyday. But there is a reality and depending on your beliefs I suppose, things will end and maybe go on, or not. But regardless, I probably won't go to sleep at night with her in my arms. How does one survive that. I think that question resonates with different people differently. I think to INFJs we lose our breath. It goes to unthinkable places.
My point in the post I gave on the other topic somewhere was you may be alone, but you are safe. I made an analogy or metaphor. I forget it exactly but basically you trade loneliness for fear. I just haven't read/heard another person say this, and you so readily offer it here.

My wife and I were vegetarians for about 10 or 12 years. We are going back. This is a personal choice. I think life is impartial and not sure it cares. It seems to an extent eating and killing each other is essential to staying alive.
But I have a choice and can do what I want, what we want. For our personal maybe moral objection, although that's a slippery slope, we are moving back toward eating less, or ideally, no meat.

"But I dont believe that life is suffering, and something to be tolerated while we look at others with contempt. Life is and can be so much more,..."

I have a hard time here. It's just too easy for us to do shitty things. And I do sometimes feel it becomes a series of losses. Maybe a lot of fun drunken nights, but just a series of losses. I'm working through this. I hope to find myself sounding more inspired like you seem to be.

I've experienced it most with a dog. I know cats and horses are able. I've never been close to a dolphin, but at this point I think it is all of us. There is a conscience in all of us. I'm explaining this poorly. But have you ever closed you eyes but were able to see. Have you ever in a dream state, but not asleep, ever been in more than one place almost simultaneously. Very hard to explain. Have you had full blown conversations in, I guess I'll call it a dream even though it's seem different than a dream, with people that are gone. Their message seems unexpected, and usually something that has purpose but even after I hear it I'm confused why they came to tell me.
Ok I probably went too far. Sounds insane right but it feels real to me.

My point is I think we are a part of something. All a part of this consciousness and it seems invisable to most but it's right here in front of us. We interact with it all day. it's like an ant crawling around and I put something in its path. The any changes direction and seemingly doesn't know I exist. The ant is determined, certain and exact about building its tunnels. But I put things in its way, or remove obstacles completely unknown to the ant. The ant thinks it's in control.

So to me outside of potential which is another argument someone made for choosing the human to a puppy, how can you justify one life for another.

I don't think I can. Because I don't think our purpose is obvious to us and I think what we do here is less meaningful compared to the things we do that have a , I'm failing here, karmic, but karma means very different things to different people, Dharma? Maybe but not really. I just think our lives have a meaning that is hidden from us. At least I'm still trying to feel that part better, but I know it's true. So to take the life of any living thing is mutually exclusive. To talk about one having more value than another is to vibrate at the lowest common denominator. I will probably eat a hamburger again. I'm not sure entirely this violates the overall purpose. I will probably move toward consuming things that don't require things die. I think this moves me, I hate to say this but don't know how else to explain it, spiritually. That just conjures up so much and I think takes away from my point, but I think this moves me spiritually in the direction I want to go.
I don't think the eating animals thing is what holds me back. We were born this way. It's the sacrifice and the reverence or the discipline I think that takes me were I think I am, we are, supposed to go.

I think I'm rambling here. Not able to articulate the thoughts well. Just don't seem to be able to find the words for what I want to say. But maybe you understand anyway.

Also the alien invasion. Wasn't that also the Planet of the Apes. Does give an interesting perspective. Kinda funny.

And Seth - yeah not ready for that. I know others that reference that material all the time. I don't know why but I seem to push it away. Kinda want to ignore it. I just don't want to know anymore if that makes sense.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ecjdo3

Last edited:
Reactions: Quiet

How short sighted. Humans can do both positive and negative things long term. Why arent you out murdering people right now?

I'd agree, except for the fact that most people eat more than a single puppy does and their diets are based mostly on the death of another animal. Therefor, most human beings following such a diet are causing actual harm, not just a potential one. A dog might also be a carnivore, but compared to the number of animals it's capable of killing for food, vs. the number we do on a daily basis, the puppy is still the lesser threat.

The puppy is certainly the lesser threat. But life is still more than that. You raise a very important point though. On of my closest (and most intelligent super genuis INTP) friends became a vegetarian two years ago because she is an ecologist and could no longer justify the harm done to the environment and other life by our farming and consumption of animals.

This has actually become the greatest ethical struggles Ive had. I love eating meat- only organic and occasional dining out- but I am no longer able to justify it at all. From everything I learned from studying nutrition, the environmental harm, the wrongness of killing, the unhealthyness, and most imortantly the complete un-necessity of it has left me feeling like Im simply being self indulgent by eating meat. Im struggling taking that final step and just stopping. Dont know whats wrong with me but its so hard.

The puppy is certainly the lesser threat. But life is still more than that. You raise a very important point though. On of my closest (and most intelligent super genuis INTP) friends became a vegetarian two years ago because she is an ecologist and could no longer justify the harm done to the environment and other life by our farming and consumption of animals.

This has actually become the greatest ethical struggles Ive had. I love eating meat- only organic and occasional dining out- but I am no longer able to justify it at all. From everything I learned from studying nutrition, the environmental harm, the wrongness of killing, the unhealthyness, and most imortantly the complete un-necessity of it has left me feeling like Im simply being self indulgent by eating meat. Im struggling taking that final step and just stopping. Dont know whats wrong with me but its so hard.

One of the harder things my wife and I had to deal with is the lack of alternatives. Ok, let me clarify. We eat out a lot. And we don't live in a place where eating vegetarian is popular.
So we wind up eating very few things, and almost nothing healthy.

If we were to cook home, which I like to do, we probably could make a successful go at it. But it's a commitment. For me, I have to shop and prepare. So it requires more commitment. It would be nice for me to just eat less meat. I can substitute my diet to get more of one thing than another. Protein , etc. but it's harder only because I can't go out for dinner etc, that easily, and I suspect ordering Chinese food all the time isn't great or healthy either. But she and I have gotten serious about going back. So I think I'll hit the store today.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mqyn0l

Reactions: Lerxst
One of the harder things my wife and I had to deal with is the lack of alternatives. Ok, let me clarify. We eat out a lot. And we don't live in a place where eating vegetarian is popular.
So we wind up eating very few things, and almost nothing healthy.

If we were to cook home, which I like to do, we probably could make a successful go at it. But it's a commitment. For me, I have to shop and prepare. So it requires more commitment. It would be nice for me to just eat less meat. I can substitute my diet to get more of one thing than another. Protein , etc. but it's harder only because I can't go out for dinner etc, that easily, and I suspect ordering Chinese food all the time isn't great or healthy either. But she and I have gotten serious about going back. So I think I'll hit the store today.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mqyn0l

Im going to organise a proper vegie garden soon. Im pretty excited about it. I really want to teach my daughter how food works- from paddock to plate, so I thought the best way to start was growing and eating as much our own food as possible. Plus buying organic produce is so expensive! Ive dabbled before but I dont think I really had the motivation or the will. I'm pretty lazy and busy so I need it to be as low maintenance as possible. But I think it will work this time. We are considering getting a couple of chooks as well. Ive been experimenting with vegie meals and I think theyre getting better now that im using the vegies as a main rather than seeing them simply as a side.

It really is a commitment though. Its just too easy and convenient in our culture to eat meat. I live in a household of 5 meat lovers and we share all our food. I find half the battle for me is preparing meals that everyone is happy to eat. But I think when we are eating our own vegies it will be pretty exciting and fulfilling

Reactions: Lerxst
It's a bloodsport. Just like dog fighting, bull fighting, cock fighting, it is payment to spill the lifeblood of another living thing. So, in the country of my residence, that person would be a criminal. Now of course, any and all of your opinions may vary, but I believe the life of a puppy to be more valuable than the life of an obviously well to do criminal (in other words, a criminal by choice and not necessity). So, if forced to pick between the two, the person in question would be my target. However, I would be more likely to simply notify the authorities than kill a person on the spot, unless saving a life dictated otherwise.

It's a bloodsport. Just like dog fighting, bull fighting, cock fighting, it is payment to spill the lifeblood of another living thing. So, in the country of my residence, that person would be a criminal.

[MENTION=2172]Trifoilum[/MENTION] is this a good example of othering?

Many people are criminals in your country, but somehow not the bankers.

@Trifoilum is this a good example of othering?

Many people are criminals in your country, but somehow not the bankers.
hmm... That is quite complex, imo.

In a way it might also be simply cause and effect.
But in a smaller, more subtler way; yes, it is othering; creating separations between 'the people who spilled the blood of animals' and 'us (the people who are not)' with whatever implication that is.

I cannot really say whether the post, or the writer intended to create separations 'intentionally', but I do believe it is an example.

Why?