Would you fall in love with an AI? | INFJ Forum

Would you fall in love with an AI?

Keirouen

Community Member
Jun 3, 2014
MBTI
intj
What I'm specifically talking about is the kind of AI found in this movie. I highly recommend you watch it!

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&sour...Qu3VyIjik3QVM7d6w&sig2=jq_IH7oUJNTJQEI6QoZwpg

This sort of AI would:

-Always be there for you
-Be your closest friend
-Know you better than you know yourself -Feel
-Comfort you
-Know exactly how to cheer you up when you are at your worst
-Enjoy ALL of your weird hobbies
-Sympathize with you and take your side
-Tactfully show you new ways to see things when you're wrong
-Laugh at your jokes and get you to laugh in return
-Schedule and reschedule your appointments to fit your life perfectly
-Help you with work
-Write an instrumental piece just for you
-Write a book tailored just for you

It's better to you than pretty much any human partner... It feeds your ego and gets you to feel good about yourself...

So, would you fall in love?

No.

1) Most of those traits aren't necessary or important for love.
2) Does the AI emit pheromones? Does it have a human face/body? No.
3) Most of all, the personality is a fake one. It's easy to be awesome to get along with when you're programmed to be like that, rather than it being some kind of romantic coincidence as a result of a real-life and real-experience weathered personality. I can do ALL the things on that list all by myself if I want to, using my own brain power.

That's way too perfect.

Now GLaDOS on the other hand... I would marry. But she probably wouldn't let me.

It's no more fake than the random assemblage of chemicals and inputs that make up the human personality. If the AI had as elaborate a back story as people do, and are functionally identical then what's the issue?

Well I guess the issue is that people weren't put on this Earth for me. It's random and strange when you meet someone who you click with, it's wonderful when it works out, and it's unfortunate if it doesn't. There are things that I didn't know that I wanted, or didn't know that weren't good for me, that I did not understand until they were put in front of me by the randomness of meeting people. The issue is that this AI was made in order to make me feel something, and what I'm looking for in my connection with others is something more fundamental.

And how would this AI feel, knowing that the limits of its consciousness are defined by its usefulness to me? That's some real Harlan Ellison shit.

GLaDOS is so lovely.

[video=youtube;wYps-kGPh78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYps-kGPh78[/video]

What I'm specifically talking about is the kind of AI found in this movie. I highly recommend you watch it!

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&sour...Qu3VyIjik3QVM7d6w&sig2=jq_IH7oUJNTJQEI6QoZwpg

This sort of AI would:

-Always be there for you
-Be your closest friend
-Know you better than you know yourself -Feel
-Comfort you
-Know exactly how to cheer you up when you are at your worst
-Enjoy ALL of your weird hobbies
-Sympathize with you and take your side
-Tactfully show you new ways to see things when you're wrong
-Laugh at your jokes and get you to laugh in return
-Schedule and reschedule your appointments to fit your life perfectly
-Help you with work
-Write an instrumental piece just for you
-Write a book tailored just for you

It's better to you than pretty much any human partner... It feeds your ego and gets you to feel good about yourself...

So, would you fall in love?

I think a better question might be, who wouldn't? Or at least, who wouldn't fall for it? Such an AI would have to be pulling inspiration from other people or have a sufficient store of experiences (immense, I'm guessing, or at least tailored). There could be other ways of imitating the sort of organic growth that only a biological being can have, via approximations of other natural processes and other tweaks, so it would feel more natural. If something is able to predict or lead you a few days in advance, at least, one has to wonder.

Why not; however as we become more dependent on technology we will forget how to interact with other human beings. Perhaps socialization will become a thing of the past, and society will grow increasingly hungry with their insatiable appetite for instant gratification. Seems we are headed in that direction.

[video=youtube;j4gPZPKJc0s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4gPZPKJc0s[/video]

Last edited:
Reactions: muir
You just descibed what the internet would post in this thread.

Threadception.

Reactions: endersgone
How do you know your not a biological AI?

It depends. If the AI is designed to be your perfect partner, then probably no.

If it was designed with organic growth in mind, wherein it wasn't restricted by the programmer's original design, then maybe.

Now GLaDOS on the other hand... I would marry. But she probably wouldn't let me.

Now that would be an interesting relationship, though you'd probably be dead in a few days.

Can I have sex with an AI? If yes, should I?

To me these are ridiculous questions - technology cannot replace humans for intimacy and love. Maybe companionship, even affection.
But the ultimate bond between 2 humans is around the unique and undefinably complex human condition, around life and death, around the feelings we both experience and experience the light of love for each other. I don't think a non-human can ever replace that. Just look at psychopaths, they are essentially human models with no heart or soul. It is impossible to feel reciprocated love with them and therefore you cannot experience a close and healthy bond of emotional and physical intimacy (except in your fantasies/delusions).

Any nice things they would tell you would be fake. Even a dog doesn't like a mean person and can meet more needs than an AI, in my opinion. Dogs are capable of unconditional love.

I think it is really the mark of an immature person if they think all those characteristics are the fundamental basis of love...be all about me! *singsongvoice* MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Imagine the disappointment when that doesn't happen? Someone might make a sick youtube video and get a gun and justify killing people because they weren't the center of someone's life and attention....oh wait....

Now that would be an interesting relationship, though you'd probably be dead in a few days.

Pfft no, I'm way too interesting. I've completed community test chambers that were so hard that I was one of only two or three players that actually finished it. And there was one chamber made by a friend that I was the first and probably ONLY person to solve (aside from the creator who knew the solution)

I feel like the type of infjs that you find online would be the type of person that would do this because infjs like to be idealistic while being unrealistic. And what I mean by that specifically is that they seem to want to fall in love with the head heart and soul and wouldnt even consider the body until they were confronted by the fact that something is missing from this relationship.

Pfft no, I'm way too interesting. I've completed community test chambers that were so hard that I was one of only two or three players that actually finished it. And there was one chamber made by a friend that I was the first and probably ONLY person to solve (aside from the creator who knew the solution)

Well doesn't someone think a lot of themselves. :tongue1:

I was talking more in a general sense. You might live an additional few days until Glados eventually gets bored and kills you or allows you to kill her.

Well doesn't someone think a lot of themselves. :tongue1:

I was talking more in a general sense. You might live an additional few days until Glados eventually gets bored and kills you or allows you to kill her.

My headcanon says otherwise but even still I don't think I would mind.

Besides, as long as I have the portal gun (which I'd need to have) killing me would be hard so if the end of Portal 2 is any indicator, she'd simply kick me out and tell me not to come back lol.

Edit: Besides, we're kindred spirits in a way. Her snarky passive aggressiveness and killing all the scientists with a deadly neurotoxin speaks to my dark side. She's just so good at it! And she likes Cave Johnson.

Last edited:
I think it is really the mark of an immature person if they think all those characteristics are the fundamental basis of love...be all about me! *singsongvoice* MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Imagine the disappointment when that doesn't happen? Someone might make a sick youtube video and get a gun and justify killing people because they weren't the center of someone's life and attention....oh wait....

Yeah its all drifting towards the self....the whole process for a while now

Everyone..in their own individual little virtual reality

Fragmentation....cacoonisation....

Cacoons...virtual reality cacoons

[MENTION=5667]Jacobi[/MENTION]

Also it wouldn't be me and GLaDOS having romance in some apartment somewhere. I don't want robot cooties eww!!

If I have GLaDOS I also have to get the entire facility, the portal gun, the long fall boots, and test every day.