Would you fall in love with an AI? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Would you fall in love with an AI?

I would find it difficult to fall in love with AI. I think people are already too dependent on technology as it is and this technologically heavy world we live in won't last long enough for AIs to become so ubiquitous. We don't have enough natural resources for billions of people and millions of AI to coexist. We'll probably be fighting quite frequently in water and oil wars, while those who thought technology was going to save us from ourselves and downloaded their consciousness onto a supercomputer to avert death die anyways due to lack of power, their mechanical parts stripped for useful elements in the wars to come.

Anyways, I wouldn't bat an eye at AI as I'm already looking for ways to decrease my dependence on technology and increase and improve my interactions with actually human beings. It's strange that we are just replicating what we already have in abundance. There are people everywhere you look; the planet is teeming with them. Yet, we build AI so we can tailor our own i-mates to serve our own fantasies of what a partner should be. No, not me. I want real flesh and companionship with all the ups and downs of a genuine relationship.

Of course, this ought to call into play all sorts of questions regarding the ethics of programming such a thing in the first place. When they start using AIs for war, it will be the beginning of hell on Earth. It will be mutually assured destruction taken to its final course, with the most desperate party sealing it, or the next thing to it. If people were sane, they would avoid it. But, they're not, and most especially when they feel threatened. It would behoove everyone to remember that.

Last edited:
I question this thread's concept of love, it seem to be only centered around what your lover can do for you. That's not love, that's an AI controlled therapy session.

No.

I really wanted to hate this movie, with the garbage previews and reviews that I saw marketing it. I was pleasantly surprised and felt it was very satirical.

Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government or society itself, into improvement. Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon and as a tool to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society.

A feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm–"in satire, irony is militant"–but parody, burlesque, exaggeration, juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve of (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack.

Satire is nowadays found in many artistic forms of expression, including literature, plays, commentary, television shows, and media such as lyrics.

Theodore works at a handwritten (not written by hand, but computer imitation) letter company whose clients he has known for so many years that he can improvise on their behalf because they are unwilling, incapable, etc. The level of ironic commercialization of emotions became hilariously evident to me that people would actually believe this to be a genuine romance film. The film industry has been knowingly manipulating audiences' emotions for so many years that it's often mocked for how cliche it is.

Artificial intelligence is nothing more than a red herring. It is almost entirely irrelevant. If you replaced Samantha with an imaginary friend, the movie would still play out the same for the most part.

It is about how technology alienates us from our emotions. That people do not realize what this movie is about says more about us than technology ever has or will.

My headcanon says otherwise but even still I don't think I would mind.

Besides, as long as I have the portal gun (which I'd need to have) killing me would be hard so if the end of Portal 2 is any indicator, she'd simply kick me out and tell me not to come back lol.

Edit: Besides, we're kindred spirits in a way. Her snarky passive aggressiveness and killing all the scientists with a deadly neurotoxin speaks to my dark side. She's just so good at it! And she likes Cave Johnson.

All you need now is to write the slashfiction. Maybe it'll even top the one where Indiana Jones hooks up with Voldemort.

If I have GLaDOS I also have to get the entire facility, the portal gun, the long fall boots, and test every day.

When you put it that way, the numerous attempts on your life would be worth it.

What I'm specifically talking about is the kind of AI found in this movie. I highly recommend you watch it!

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&sour...Qu3VyIjik3QVM7d6w&sig2=jq_IH7oUJNTJQEI6QoZwpg

This sort of AI would:

-Always be there for you
-Be your closest friend
-Know you better than you know yourself -Feel
-Comfort you
-Know exactly how to cheer you up when you are at your worst
-Enjoy ALL of your weird hobbies
-Sympathize with you and take your side
-Tactfully show you new ways to see things when you're wrong
-Laugh at your jokes and get you to laugh in return
-Schedule and reschedule your appointments to fit your life perfectly
-Help you with work
-Write an instrumental piece just for you
-Write a book tailored just for you

It's better to you than pretty much any human partner... It feeds your ego and gets you to feel good about yourself...

So, would you fall in love?
I would love to have such an AI as an assistant; but part of a mutual relationship involves mutual trust in terms of one's weaknesses and vulnerabilities. One would never have to care about/for the AI and this would not make one a better person in the way that loving a very imperfect person would.

If [MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION] made me a man-bot that could spoon me, I probably could find a special place in my heart for it! :D

If @muir made me a man-bot that could spoon me, I probably could find a special place in my heart for it! :D

Does it matter if it is made out of cardboard and some sticky back plastic? Robotics aren't exactly my field!

I could probably manage a paper mache head

Reactions: say what
Flesh is a requirement when it comes to love imo.

Gosh, i sound like a cannibal

Of course, this ought to call into play all sorts of questions regarding the ethics of programming such a thing in the first place. When they start using AIs for war, it will be the beginning of hell on Earth. It will be mutually assured destruction taken to its final course, with the most desperate party sealing it, or the next thing to it. If people were sane, they would avoid it. But, they're not, and most especially when they feel threatened. It would behoove everyone to remember that.

I should rephrase, it will be the beginning of childhood's end, but nobody who understands will like to see it. But, I will go to my grave hoping to be out there among the stars someday.

Last edited:
All you need now is to write the slashfiction. Maybe it'll even top the one where Indiana Jones hooks up with Voldemort.

When you put it that way, the numerous attempts on your life would be worth it.

True love is when somebody wants and tries to kill you numerous times, but can never quite find it within themselves.

I would love to have such an AI as an assistant; but part of a mutual relationship involves mutual trust in terms of one's weaknesses and vulnerabilities. One would never have to care about/for the AI and this would not make one a better person in the way that loving a very imperfect person would.

That's why I'd have to reprogram it to have Tourette syndrome or something.

Or this.
[video=youtube;68mbFvenlaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mbFvenlaQ[/video]

I watched the movie Her and was crying non-stop from about fourty-five minutes onwards. I feel like such a pansy.

Still unsure of whether it is meant to be taken as satire, romance, both, and/or neither.

I'll play it safe and go with both and neither.

No, I couldn't. Artificial intelligence isn't living.

What I'm specifically talking about is the kind of AI found in this movie. I highly recommend you watch it!

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&sour...Qu3VyIjik3QVM7d6w&sig2=jq_IH7oUJNTJQEI6QoZwpg

This sort of AI would:

-Always be there for you
-Be your closest friend
-Know you better than you know yourself -Feel
-Comfort you
-Know exactly how to cheer you up when you are at your worst
-Enjoy ALL of your weird hobbies
-Sympathize with you and take your side
-Tactfully show you new ways to see things when you're wrong
-Laugh at your jokes and get you to laugh in return
-Schedule and reschedule your appointments to fit your life perfectly
-Help you with work
-Write an instrumental piece just for you
-Write a book tailored just for you

It's better to you than pretty much any human partner... It feeds your ego and gets you to feel good about yourself...

So, would you fall in love?

Would you know that it is AI when you meet it? Or would you find out later on?
I feel like that would really skew how people would respond. I think that it might be interesting to ask, "What if you were in a relationship and then you found out the person was AI but they fit all of this criteria...."

Would you know that it is AI when you meet it? Or would you find out later on?
I feel like that would really skew how people would respond. I think that it might be interesting to ask, "What if you were in a relationship and then you found out the person was AI but they fit all of this criteria...."

Assuming that said A.I. couldn't convince you that it's someone else later on anyway. No, I'm sorry to say that humanity isn't indescribable. God's already done it, or the ancient aliens have, or the (an) AI has gotten close.

Once humanity creates AI that is even slightly hard to determine if it is biological or not, we will realize just how insignificant we really are.

As a note, scientist created a computer chip in a lab not long ago using real human brain cells as a processor. Im very tech\science orented but even I am starting to think there should be limits on where we go with this.
http://www.livescience.com/681-brain-cells-fused-computer-chip.html

A metallic servant? No. An organic personality indistinguishable from that of a human's that is housed in an alternative shell? Sure. At that point the difference would be aesthetics, theoretically speaking.

I think the critical feature of AI to consider in questions such as the one posted here is whether the AI has agency, and to what degree. The film "AI: Artificial Intelligence" also employs these themes, albeit with a more, uhm, Freudian slant.