Forgotten
Retired Staff
Jul 11, 2008
MBTI
INF
Enneagram
messed up
Hypothetical.

Could you pull the plug to ease someone suffering. Close, not close doesn't matter.

What would you do?

Anyone want this to be a poll?

Poll sounds good. To answer your question, yes, I would in a heartbeat.

Ditto Christmas. If that's what they truly wanted, it was clearly terminal and they were clearly suffering. I think most suicidal folks should seek therapy and medication before they actually consider suicide, but I also think you're ultimately entitled to decide whether you continue to live.

I think family, friends, and society should do everything they can, short of force, to prevent individuals from committing suicide.
But, I fundamentally believe everyone has the right to end their own life.

And terminal illness or nursing home type situations are definitely a no brainier...

"I would feel trapped if I knew I could not commit suicide at any moment." - Hunter S. Thompson

Chris Titus' way of going out is how I wish to go as seen here

As for others I could see myself doing it if they're suffering

Last edited:
K I'll post a poll after i eat some dinner

If all the doctors agreed (two or more) and there was no chance of recovery, I would. That is what I would want for me, anyway. I also wouldn't want to be kept in a vegetable state like Terry Schiavo.

Well thats an impossible question to really answer.

But since it is hypothetical I guess the answer is yes. If I knew said family member wouldn't live a whole life, a life that is miserable and hopeless is worse then death. In my view I'd be easing there suffering.

Though I'm not a proponent for suicide, it is the persons choice (though I feel much thought should be put into it before suicide is decided upon). But in the case of pulling the plug, only if they wanted me to and only if there was no chance of them getting better.

poll added. This is purely hypothetical but say your mother was dying of cancer of the spine...it had already spread through her spinal system and cannot be treated. All the doctors can do is pump her full of morphine until she dies. Durring this time she still suffers. Pain unrelenting...I know if it were me and this person looked at me with all the pain in their eyes and asked me if I could...I dont know what I would do...It would haunt me forever...But So would the pain filled eyes. Suffering like that is not living at all...

Or any other scenario...I was watching Dexter today...and he, vigilante serial killer that he is, struggled with it. So I wondered...could you:m075:

I would theoretically speaking.

As for whether I could or not I don't really have an answer it all depends on the person and everything else happening at the time, and how I feels about doing it that moment it may change who knows.

I would do it. There is a point that just being alive is painful. I have seen people with cancer die it's not pretty. I have been there and it is not easy thing to consider. You have to consider the persons wishes. That is why as living will is so important. I love Dexter great show!

Heh.

For my father, it wasn't theoretical. I had to make the choice.

Was it the right one/best one? Yes, I think it was. And in the end, the complete choice was taken out of my hands, because one of the nurses accidentally moved him wrong (long story).

But if the choice is presented to you, you learn how to deal with it/live with it. It may take time to reconcile it, but trust me: You'll have the courage to do what needs to be done when you need it.

this is such a hard question, and similar to ones I've asked myself before. i'd really, really have to think about it long and hard, see it from every angle before I'd ever consider doing that. i'd exhaust all alternatives before doing it. i'd want some sort of concrete affirmation that that was what the person wanted, before I agreed to it. I think whatever choice i'd make, i'd wonder later whether it was the right one.

Could I? Yes.
Would I? Nay.

cheers,
Ian

Yeah, if it's something the person had cleared with me before hand, and made it apparent that it was their wish, I'd pull it. I hope people would do the same for me.

If I knew it was what they really wanted and that they were in their right mind (that raises another question, doesn't it?) when they asked for it, probably. (Also, I'd have to have it in writing, obviously.)

I could never make that decision for someone else.

Edit: Also, I didn't vote in the poll, because, as usual, my answer lies within a gray area. There should be an option that says something like, "I am skirting the actual question by adding my own hypothetical circumstances and saying, 'Maybe;' a.k.a. ambivalence."

Last edited: