Women Constantly Making Themselves Look Good: Why? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Women Constantly Making Themselves Look Good: Why?

You sound like a really nice guy. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks [MENTION=731]the[/MENTION] I don't need luck. I just appreciate beauty when I see it and I manage to see it mostly everywhere

Sorry, just wanted to add a little more. I think makeup is a type of art, and for many getting it right involves the satisfaction of practicing a craft/art . Liquid liner, for example, getting that right, wow.
optimist11.gif-2.gif

Reactions: aeon and Free
Why should it matter to anyone else what a person likes to do? I often feel like people who cake on the make up have serious insecurities and I wouldn't make fun of them because women are bitches.
[MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION]s post was very good and there is a lot of truth in it. Women can be very judgey and very bitchy and often times women will do themselves up for the benefit of other women.

People treat good looking people better. It's just a fact. I'm not an ugly person, but everyone looks a little better with a touch of make up. I learned that if I need to go into the toy store during a busy season I'm best off putting on some minimal make up and gloss as the young male staff will bend over backwards to help me where if I went in with my hair thrown back in a bun and no make up I'd get ignored.

It's also a professional thing. Whether you like it or not, people want women to wear make up. Minimal make up is usually required for a job interview and to not wear it makes it look like you haven't made an effort. It's desired in the work place.

I don't wear much make up, but I do wear minimal every day make up -- why? A self confidence thing. I'm a very busy person that gets very little sleep. Sometimes, when I'm under the weather I look like crap and it helps to put a little bit of make up on to boost my self esteem. No one likes to look in the mirror and feel exhausted and gross. Make up doesn't just stay put either...it wears off, it can get shiney through out the day etc. It needs to be touched up.

This is so true. I am pretty low maintenance by default, but I noticed along with you that if I put effort into my appearance I was treated better by the world.

I see makeup as just a normal part of proper grooming for a healthy adult woman. If I'm sick or depressed I neglect it.

This is so true. I am pretty low maintenance by default, but I noticed along with you that if I put effort into my appearance I was treated better by the world.

I see makeup as just a normal part of proper grooming for a healthy adult woman. If I'm sick or depressed I neglect it.

True. And not just women. A nice shave, well shaped eyebrows, a good haircut, looking well put together are priorities for lots of men. It's a discussion that applies to both sexes really.

Reactions: aeon
As others have said here, we all like to look pretty (whether it's for others or ourselves). But for men, it's a much simpler process. Women are expected to put in more effort and so they're more likely to be seen making themselves look good.

Who knows [MENTION=5511]ruji[/MENTION]? Sometimes hard to tell who's serious and who isn't on a forum board?

"Woman are just dudes with makeup"
-peppermint

[video=youtube;nf0oXY4nDxE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0oXY4nDxE[/video]

Reactions: Free
As others have said here, we all like to look pretty (whether it's for others or ourselves). But for men, it's a much simpler process. Women are expected to put in more effort and so they're more likely to be seen making themselves look good.

I would like to point out that men generally aren't valued by their looks, and as such they try to be attractive in different ways.

I would like to point out that men generally aren't valued by their looks, and as such they try to be attractive in different ways.

I disagree. Perhaps not to the extent that women are valued, but men are still pressured to look good. You don't see many ugly male models or ugly traditional male leads.

I disagree. Perhaps not to the extent that women are valued, but men are still pressured to look good. You don't see many ugly male models or ugly traditional male leads.

I DISAGREE WITH YOUR DISAGREEMENT

A good looking male is nothing to a woman but a superficial trophy to her ego. There are many opportunities for a guy to sabotage his own confidence. Whether it is looks, money, or whatever, he'll believe in whatever is easiest to accept, and any girl who has rejected him will simply go along with any his self-fulfilled prophecies he calls a "reason". Because ain't nobody got time to set him straight.

I DISAGREE WITH YOUR DISAGREEMENT

A good looking male is nothing to a woman but a superficial trophy to her ego. There are many opportunities for a guy to sabotage his own confidence. Whether it is looks, money, or whatever, he'll believe in whatever is easiest to accept, and any girl who has rejected him will simply go along with any his self-fulfilled prophecies he calls a "reason". Because ain't nobody got time to set him straight.

Well, you could say the same for a woman. A good looking female is nothing to a man but a superficial trophy. I don't disagee with your other thoughts, but I'm not sure what it has to do with our intense, long fought and deeply spiteful disagreement.Sure there's many ways for a dude to sabotage his confidence, same as with a dudette. Maybe she thinks she's not smart enough or good enough. Or maybe she thinks she's too good, too good to put on a furry suit get down on all fours purring and rubbing against my leg...I mean a purely theoretical man's leg.

Well, you could say the same for a woman. A good looking female is nothing to a man but a superficial trophy. I don't disagee with your other thoughts, but I'm not sure what it has to do with our intense, long fought and deeply spiteful disagreement.Sure there's many ways for a dude to sabotage his confidence, same as with a dudette. Maybe she thinks she's not smart enough or good enough. Or maybe she thinks she's too good, too good to put on a furry suit get down on all fours purring and rubbing against my leg...I mean a purely theoretical man's leg.

The thing that's missing is that men aren't the same as women.

Reactions: hush and Free
The thing that's missing is that men aren't the same as women.

I agree, I just think that men are still pressured to look good in our society. Perhaps not in the same way as women, or not as much, but it's still there.

True. And not just women. A nice shave, well shaped eyebrows, a good haircut, looking well put together are priorities for lots of men. It's a discussion that applies to both sexes really.

Exactly. And don’t forget being fresh-scrubbed, some product in the hair, to shine the shoes, iron and starch the clothes, the right watch, the nails trimmed and the cuticles maintained, and so on. And yes, many of those would fall under “looking well put together.”

And for that matter, know what your coloring and skin tones are, your color season, so you choose the right colors to wear.

Cheers,
Ian

I agree, I just think that men are still pressured to look good in our society. Perhaps not in the same way as women, or not as much, but it's still there.

Yes, there is pressure, but it is in my opinion that the need for men to look good is mostly fake. I think it's the result of consumerism in modern society. Might as well target men too. It's more money

Yes, there is pressure, but it is in my opinion that the need for men to look good is mostly fake. I think it's the result of consumerism in modern society. Might as well target men too. It's more money

I don't know. I think it's always been there. Just look at dandies or the way certain cultures fetishized the male body. I don't think modern consumerism is the result of all those statues and paintings of perfectly chisled, and bronzed men.

Reactions: hush and aeon
Interesting perspectives. I've always been low maintenance or don't care too much kind of person. I don't wear makeup. Most I'll use is a lip gloss. If I was to wear makeup regularly, I'd choose eye liner and shadow with a light lip gloss but that's only on very very very very very special occasions. Wearing makeup feels unreal, mostly because I rarely do it, so when I do put it on, I feel like a clown at a circus trying to look like I'm sophisticated. :D

It also makes me feel as if I'm putting on a show, and asking people to notice me, and I'd rather eat dirt. I admire women who are good at using cosmetics to enhance appearance. I'm sure if I made the effort, I could be ok at it. But don't really want to put that kind of attention on myself.

Can't ignore though that not wearing makeup to enhance appearance doesn't have an effect. Yes, you are more likely to be treated as if you're just a part of the scenery, but if people think you're "pretty" or attractive they will put more into helping you.

What's problematic is the assumption that you have less self esteem if you don't do these things to make yourself look good. *rolls eyes* If you don't wear it, apparently you're not trying hard enough to be beautiful or attractive. Apparently, to show her self confidence, it's expected for women to enhance her appearance.

Otherwise, prepare to feel like you're not really something to look at. It's sad. Women should feel comfortable looking great whether or not they wear makeup. They shouldn't be made to feel less. Anyway, that's the world for you. Personally, I think a women is most beautiful when she smiles and looks fresh and vibrant. A good moisturizer, a nice gloss to compliment her, and she's cool.

I'm more likely to spend time on clothing choices if I want to feel and look good. I know not wearing makeup or dressing to impress has indirectly affected how I'm seen or treated. It's hard not to notice, when you see your competition looking all cool and hot in their makeup. :D Can't say it doesn't make me a little envious, but what're you going to do. Like Rene Zellweger said in "Jerry Maguire," I'm just not built like that. I'll keep working with my natural look and see how far it gets me. :)

Last edited:
My gal wears makeup. She does it for herself first, and because of her situation in the world, or better perhaps, the situation of the world she lives in.

I like it as an expression of her self, a very certain kind of artfulness. And that’s a part of who she is, and I accept her as she is.

I’ll take her either way, and do, and have. (quit snickering in the back seats, you!)

Eyes deceive anyway, so I’m not so concerned with what they tell me.

I place far more importance on how she sounds and tastes.
Yaisse.gif

Cheers,
Ian

Ok, I threw this in my blog earlier, but it's so appropriate for this thread...

g9ahrtG.jpg

Screw everyone else, I wear makeup for me. Sometimes it's very minimal, other times I'm rocking bright red lipstick. It's not an attempt to gain attention, it's a confidence thing for me. I like looking my best when I feel good. But I'm just as comfortable with myself without it. I've learned to love my imperfections. And that's what it's really all about, choosing not to compete with others, accepting yourself as is, and doing things to make yourself feel good, whether that's dressing a certain way, having a certain hairstyle, or wearing makeup.