Women Constantly Making Themselves Look Good: Why? | INFJ Forum

Women Constantly Making Themselves Look Good: Why?

Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
I was recently stuck behind another car in stop-start traffic. The driver was female. (We all know what she was doing every time the traffic stopped).

What is the motivation for many women to constantly/frequently check, and cultivate/adjust their good looks?

I'll get dapper in the morning quickly, but seldom revisit (if at all), till the next morning. (Depending on whether I'm meeting someone, in which case I'll spruce up my shirt, or if I have had a post exercise shower).

Last edited:
Reactions: BritNi
I was recently stuck behind another car in stop-start traffic. The driver was female. (We all know what she was doing every time the traffic stopped).

What is the motivation for many women to constantly/frequently check, and cultivate/adjust their good looks?

I'll get dapper in the morning quickly, but seldom revisit (if at all), till the next morning. (Depending on whether I'm meeting someone, in which case I'll spruce up my shirt, or if I have had a post exercise shower).

Sheesh Flavus..... there's a really long ass explanation and list of reasons. Why do you want to know this?

Sheesh Flavus..... there's a really long ass explanation and list of reasons. Why do you want to know this?
Because I don't understand the motivation for frequent checking/primping, let alone the protracted conscious engagement required.

I figure it's peer pressure from other women that systematically teaches many women to put so much value in it.
I know I'm not the only man nor am one of few who find it hot as hack if a woman's hair looks a little more wild/unkempt.

As for the cosmetics, well unless they start adding nice tastes to them so as to make it so that you do not feel like you've been making out with a chemical factory those aren't that big a plus either.
I also tend to be more interested in girls with less to no makeup than girls with makeup.
And seeing as I am not alone in that opinion/preference either, well...

I think it is safe to say that I believe they're more likely to do it in order to be approved of by other women.
Cause really, I think peer pressure is a lot more severe for women amongst other women than it is for men amongst other men.

...I'm so gonna get lynched for pointing out my thoughts on this...

Last edited:
I figure it's peer pressure from other women that systematically teaches many women to put so much value in it.
I know I'm not the only man nor am one of few who find it hot as hack if a woman's hair looks a little more wild/unkempt.

As for the cosmetics, well unless they start adding nice tastes to them so as to make it so that you do not feel like you've been making out with a chemical factory those aren't that big a plus either.
I also tend to be more interested in girls with less to no makeup than girls with makeup.
And seeing as I am not alone in that opinion/preference either, well...

I think it is safe to say that I believe they're more likely to do it in order to be approved of by other women.
Cause really, I think peer pressure is a lot more severe for women amongst other women than it is for men amongst other men.

...I'm so gonna get lynched for pointing out my thoughts on this...

I don't think you are far off. I'm a bit repulsed by looking at women who use enough makeup to qualify them for clownship too. I think most men would agree with your opinion.

Because it's important to women. I await your protest.

Though in your situation, I sometimes think they do it out of habit, and/or the act of doing validates them with trying to portray that they are "that girl".

Don't you want to look sexy for potential mates?

Gotta maintain the swank.

:m027: :m114:

The more elaborate the pimping the more upkeep it requires. If you have put effort into something you will make sure it still looks good. If a woman has a applied a full face of makeup, she will be making sure nothing has smudged or worn off through the day.

The more elaborate the pimping the more upkeep it requires. If you have put effort into something you will make sure it still looks good. If a woman has a applied a full face of makeup, she will be making sure nothing has smudged or worn off through the day.

Pimping?

I don't think you are far off. I'm a bit repulsed by looking at women who use enough makeup to qualify them for clownship too. I think most men would agree with your opinion.

What if they use this amount of makeup but they are so good at it, so smooth, so mad skilled in the art of cosmetic application, that you have no idea? That you think their skin is just preternaturally glowy and smooth, the eyebrows a perfect shade of whatever, their lips, a healthy moist shade of whatever? When really it's all FAKE.

Reactions: Free
What if they use this amount of makeup but they are so good at it, so smooth, so mad skilled in the art of cosmetic application, that you have no idea? That you think their skin is just preternaturally glowy and smooth, the eyebrows a perfect shade of whatever, their lips, a healthy moist shade of whatever? When really it's all FAKE.

All power to them. I do not possess such a skill. lol

Reactions: Free and PintoBean

Sounds like Empress Palpatine's tempting of Annie Skywalker to the possibility of gaining immortality for her looks through the dark side.

Reactions: acd
Reactions: Sriracha
We are all affected by the judgements of the people around us. Women are constantly being judged by their appearance. For some women, those judgements have no bearing but to others it means a great deal. Behavior that strikes you as someone trying to stand out is just as likely someone trying not to stand out.

There do seem to be levels of it, with men and women. Certain status groups require a particular look, a specific wardrobe, BMI, type of hairstyle, an attention to personal appearance.

If you are not like that it is easy to judge those who are as superficial, maybe it is, but I think we are all superficial, at least there are very few that really are not.

Makeup is mobile, fellas. Racoon eyes, oily foreheads and disappearing lips are no gal's friend. Patches revealing red splotchy skin are also a confidence killer.

As for the application in the first place, it is more professional to look coiffed and also... men are visual. However, being the artsy sort, it's fun to paint and sculpt a masterpiece.