Why not just legalize all drugs? | INFJ Forum

Why not just legalize all drugs?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by slant, Aug 4, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
More threads by slant
  1. slant

    slant Roll with the punches
    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    365
    Messages:
    11,798
    Featured Threads:
    54
    Likes Received:
    24,395
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ****
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Think about all of the excuses you hear about why drugs shouldn't be legalized:

    they are addictive
    they kill people
    they are bad for people's health
    etc.

    When I say drugs, I'm not talking about just marijuana, I am talking about the heavier stuff too. LSD. Meth. Cocaine.

    Banning something doesn't make it not harm people. Just because you say 'drugs are bad and now they are illegal' doesn't make them kill less people, drugs don't go away, isn't that the problem that's going on with mexico and the cartel- their whole income is basically on kidnapping women and selling them into human trafficking and propheting off of drugs.

    If people are going to do drugs, what is really wrong with that?

    As long as they are educated, and they know what drugs can do to you, just like teens are educated on sex, why shouldn't drugs be legal? Why shouldn't even the hardcore ectasy pills be legalized? If people want to die, if people want to get their lives all messed up on drugs, who are we as a country to say they cannot?

    It's seems like the reasons are all fear-based and pretty much centered around controlling other people's lives.


    By legalizing drugs, I'm not saying, feed drugs to your babies.



    There should be like an age limit just like drinking or whatever. All I'm saying is, what is the main reason that we can't just allow people to take some responsibility for themselves instead of babysitting them around?

    Cigarettes and alcohol are legal, and we know those things are terrible for your health.

    Then why can't we legalize Cocaine?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Will likes this.
  2. acd

    acd Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Threads:
    143
    Messages:
    15,663
    Featured Threads:
    11
    Likes Received:
    36,267
    Trophy Points:
    1,387
    Location:
    fantasy world
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    Coke used to be legal. You should look into why it's now illegal.
    Because I forget.
     
    Will likes this.
  3. Roger

    Roger ...

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    80
    Messages:
    2,203
    Likes Received:
    219
    Trophy Points:
    205
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    -
    If we legalize all drugs then we all will be limited and machine like robots who needs drugs as battery. This will never happen.
     
    Will likes this.
  4. bamf

    bamf Is Watching You
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2009
    Threads:
    289
    Messages:
    10,787
    Likes Received:
    1,931
    Trophy Points:
    453
    MBTI:
    Meh
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    On some things I vote to legalize. Pot? Why yes, thank you. Shrooms? Sure, why not. LSD? Yeah, have fun in space. Meth, heroin, crack, coke? Errrr, I can't think of a logical reason for these. The abuse and fallout factors are way too high. If they're legal, they will be easier to obtain (not that it's hard in the first place) More of these drugs is not what the world needs. However, the policy of jailing abusers it absolute bullshit. Give people the chance to get help, and then should they not use it, let them figure it out on their own. Putting them in jail only costs us money, and takes up "valuable" space.

    Drug addiction is not a victimless illness. Alcohol destroys families, meth destroys families, but alcohol has permeated almost every facet of our society and lifestyles. It's "high class", it's expected; meth, heroin, crack and coke are not. Addiction controls every aspect of someone's life. Alcohol is substantially different in the addiction department. Many people can live without it, many can drink without abuse, many people can functionally abuse alcohol, and sadly there are a good number that fall into addiction. It is my understanding that it is incredibly rare for the other four biggies to be used recreationally. If they are illegal, access and quantity are diminished in some regards. Not that it will solve anything, but it is at least a somewhat workable band-aid.

    Legalizing drugs to combat drug cartels is a terrible terrible idea. That's what they want. Why go through the hassle of human trafficking when you can sell your product legally? Also, age limits would do little in actually keeping people "safe." Come the teenage years, if you want it you will figure out how to get it. If it's more of a trouble to get (and you're paired with a comprehensive education, no DARE bullshit and fear tactics) fewer people will get hooked. Those that do would anyway. Keeping the big four illegal in at least some way helps reduce potential addicts.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    efromm likes this.
  5. Matariki

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    Threads:
    106
    Messages:
    3,491
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    501
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    While we are at it, why not make everything legal?

    Things are generally classed as illegal for the safety of others.
    As much as I support the legalization of medical marijuana, I don't support the legalization of other drugs unless they can be proven to help with medical conditions.
    I don't think that drugs should be legal to buy over the counter top without a doctors prescription.

    There will always be people that abuse and others that will suffer the consequences.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. 88chaz88

    88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Threads:
    141
    Messages:
    4,872
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,223
    Trophy Points:
    766
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Smoking is legal and I've never done it. Just legalising something doesn't automatically make people want to try it.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. 88chaz88

    88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Threads:
    141
    Messages:
    4,872
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,223
    Trophy Points:
    766
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Drugs hrm the user, not others. My sister used to take coke and it's never been harmful to anyone else but herself. Can't really see your logic here.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Matariki

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    Threads:
    106
    Messages:
    3,491
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    501
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    Emotional suffering from friends and family that are connected to the user. I consider emotional pain to be worse than psychical pain.
    My eldest sister is an alcoholic, her drinking has effected the whole family.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #8 Matariki, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  9. 88chaz88

    88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Threads:
    141
    Messages:
    4,872
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,223
    Trophy Points:
    766
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    So why isn't alcohol illegal?

    Sorry, but it's at this point where people should grow some balls. The law is not there to protect people from emotional troubles.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Matariki

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    Threads:
    106
    Messages:
    3,491
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    501
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    Lol, it used to be illegal. The problem with making something a illegal like that is that people are going to do it anyway. The situation was looked at in black and white.
    I would personally would like to see drugs semi legal.

    What do you mean by 'grow some balls'?
    Are you saying we should toss emotional troubles out the window? I'm sorry but you can't, its not that easy.
    If it were, I would of done it myself a long time ago.
    Lets say that all addicts should grow a pair of balls and stop taking what they taking. Ain't gonna happen.
    How do you think they became addicts in the first place?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #10 Matariki, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  11. Zero Angel

    Zero Angel Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Threads:
    19
    Messages:
    958
    Likes Received:
    66
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Possibly 4w5
    The fact where it's nearly impossible for kids to gain access to coke/meth/etc where I live is great. If everything is legalized then things like crime and child prostitution will increase due to the highly addictive nature of certain drugs. Poor neighborhoods already have high rates of crime and child prostitution, to have that spread to middle class neighborhoods would be problematic for everyone.

    Look at the legal drugs, for example. Alcohol does not have the physical addictive properties that many opiates have, although drunk people are more likely to harm others, and people can become addicted if they have an unhealthy personality. Cigarettes have a physical addictive property and thus are hard to quit, but the level of addictiveness is much lower than that of meth and opiate based drugs, and it does not have as strong an impact on the emotions, a factor that lessens the likelihood that one would want to want to commit crimes in order to feed their cigarette habit.

    I think any addictive substance should be regulated. I've been smoking since I was a teenager, but if the cost of cigarettes was as high as they are now (due to heavy tobacco taxes in Canada, to help fund the healthcare system), I probably wouldntve even bothered buying my first few packs.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #11 Zero Angel, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  12. OP
    slant

    slant Roll with the punches
    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    365
    Messages:
    11,798
    Featured Threads:
    54
    Likes Received:
    24,395
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ****
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Exactly. People are going to do it anyway, so what the point?



    The rational behind banning cocaine, I just looked it up like ACD said for me to do, was actually really racist in content. It focused on black men going around doing cocaine and then raping white women. That's one of the predominate reasons why it was prohibited, or whatever you'd like to call it. We're talking early 1900's when this happened.


    Anyway, let's recap.

    So your reasoning for why drugs shouldn't be legalized in the harm that drugs do to other people around them, specifically, emotional. I could argue this by coming up with other examples of things that are totally legal which exploit other people's emotions when you do them, but, let's go with this mode of logic for a moment to see if it makes sense.

    Let's think of some other things that are illegal because of the emotional harm they do to others. Molestation, rape, child neglect, sexual harassment in the workplace, bullying...oh wait, not illegal....physical assault...well...

    Actually a lot of these things are actually directly physical harm rather than emotional. So, I can't actually think of anything that's illegal for reason of emotional harm that it could do to someone. Can anyone? Now I'm curious.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. OP
    slant

    slant Roll with the punches
    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    365
    Messages:
    11,798
    Featured Threads:
    54
    Likes Received:
    24,395
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ****
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Is alcohol and cigarettes easily available where you live?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. 88chaz88

    88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Threads:
    141
    Messages:
    4,872
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,223
    Trophy Points:
    766
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Yes. People are going to do it anyway. Perhaps if all drugs were legal then more people would actually seek help. Maybe more info on them would be available. Maybe they'd be easier to trace.

    But no. Lets make them illegal because someone's family got upset.

    No I'm saying you should deal with them the same as everyone else, not let the law do it for you.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Zero Angel

    Zero Angel Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Threads:
    19
    Messages:
    958
    Likes Received:
    66
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Possibly 4w5
    Well there is help for users of illegal drugs. One is 12-step groups like Narcotics Anonymous and the other is therapy. I don't know if therapists are supposed to maintain client confidentiality if the client admits to drug use though, but it would seem logical for it to be that way.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. OP
    slant

    slant Roll with the punches
    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    365
    Messages:
    11,798
    Featured Threads:
    54
    Likes Received:
    24,395
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ****
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Also, the thing about drugs causing people to be violent towards others, I'm going to use the same argument that is commonly used for people who are for the right to bare arms:

    Guns do not kill people. People kill people.

    Drugs do not kill people. People kill people.

    If you consume drugs and kill people, that's not the drugs fault. Who's fault is it? YOUR fault. Even if drugs have a higher influence to trigger chemicals in the brain that make someone more inclined to commit suicide, or kill another human being

    1. They are not being forced to kill another human being

    as well as

    2. You are also not forced to be taking the drugs

    We can also conclude that if we did legalize drugs and also allowed the right to bare arms, people wouldn't have to worry about crazed drug addicts coming around trying to kill them because they could just shoot them with the gun that they have, so, that would cancel out that problem real quick. Not that I'm advocating that or anything...

    because I honestly do not think most people using drugs become violent. Some do. Some react that way. But that's actually the sign of an underlying issue; people who do drugs usually have psychological problems that are amplified by the use of drugs. But, maybe if drugs were legal and they were allowed to just do drugs and overdose, our prisons would be less crowded.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. 88chaz88

    88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Threads:
    141
    Messages:
    4,872
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,223
    Trophy Points:
    766
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Because your average meth user totally knows this...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. OP
    slant

    slant Roll with the punches
    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    365
    Messages:
    11,798
    Featured Threads:
    54
    Likes Received:
    24,395
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ****
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    It doesn't matter if people can get therapy or if there are 12 step programs to help addicts. If all drugs are legalized, how does that change how things are now with addiction and recovery? Anything? Would it?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. 88chaz88

    88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Threads:
    141
    Messages:
    4,872
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,223
    Trophy Points:
    766
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    [​IMG]

    ?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. OP
    slant

    slant Roll with the punches
    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    365
    Messages:
    11,798
    Featured Threads:
    54
    Likes Received:
    24,395
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ****
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    bear. shut up.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page