Why I am probably not going to Jamaica anytime soon... | INFJ Forum

Why I am probably not going to Jamaica anytime soon...

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Satya, Nov 3, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Satya
  1. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/281361

2. gloomy-optimist

gloomy-optimist Used to live here

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INxJ
    Enneagram:
    4w3
    Yet another example of the irrationality of the masses.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. testing

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    qwer
    Jamaica did this? Jamaica? I would never have thought them capable.

4. OP
    Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    Really?

[youtube]aIUZlzd37sI[/youtube]

This is Buju Banton's "Boom Bye Bye". It's a popular song in Jamaica about killing gays.

5. testing

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    qwer
    Well, I have to tell you, I never listened to the song, sorry, but no, I would never have really thought that Jamaica or Jamaicans in general were particularly violent against gays. I suppose it is a stereotype but, yes, I thought they were pretty laid-back.

I guess I live in a sheltered world. Nobody I know goes around wanting to kill people, unless it is purely fictional. :(

6. Sithious

Sithious Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    You should go there, for the lulz

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Is that the only town there?

8. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    I'm really not surprised. Here or anywhere, really. Homosexuality, until fairly recently, has been a taboo subject. It's going to take time for some people to get acclimated to the idea. While I'm all for equal treatment, at the same time, I understand that there's no universal light switch that's going to off and suddenly everyone around the world is going to welcome homosexuality with open arms. After all, it's been just a little over a decade since the movement took off. Deeply ingrained suspicions and taboos are not just going to disappear over night. Whenever people feel threatened (culturally, in this case) some of them are going to react in violent ways.

I'll expect you to be putting together quite a large collection of places where you won't want to travel before the year is done. It's going to be a slow moving process. :/

#8 sassafras, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  9. OP
    Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
  10. bamf

bamf Is Watching You
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Meh
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    My only experience with Jamaicans is through the Reggae community. It's ironic that the music preaches of peace, love, and unity. Recently a Jamaican Reggae artist was scheduled to play at a venue in my area, but he was known to have anti-homosexual lyrics. The kids in the area and the bands that were going to play protested and ended up doing a benifit show elsewhere for the Gay and Lesbian community. The venue decided not to cancel the show and it ended up being a huge flop. Most of the people that showed up didn't ever pay to get in the door. Instead they pickted outside of the bar.
    It was pretty cool to see.

11. arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I think we have to be fair, though; hopefully the majority of the people don't feel this way. 'Course, I think if you look at the United States I think we're about the same - we're just less vocal about it and we have strong GLBT alliances in schools and colleges. Jamaica probably doesn't have that. Instead, you have people deciding to turn the hate on a certain group of people, to take folks' minds off of the real problems (poverty, lack of education, etc).

But I wouldn't attack an entire nation for a few leader idiots. The leaders have to be educated; then the people will follow. What's needed is a strong, pro-GLBT group willing to protest down there. It would definitely be dangerous (see Selma, Alabama in the late 50s/early 60s), but without protests many people will probably get killed.

12. OP
    Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    That is part of the problem, they can't...

You would need to be extremely brave to fight for equal rights under those conditions.

I guess it gives me a better perspective of the kind of conditions the African Americans in this country had to fight through.

#12 Satya, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  13. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

There is no big H branded on their heads. They can go there legally, and then get together and protest.

I don't think this law would apply to tourism, or they'd lose their tourist trade.

14. Lucifer

Lucifer Registered User #666

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP

What she said.