Why do older women like to call people honey? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why do older women like to call people honey?

That's weird you guys don't like being called sir. I love being called sir. I use it all the time too, it's like my way of saying "you seem like a decent person, from what I can tell I respect you". Except it's all wrapped up in one little word.

The only reason I dislike being called sir is that I am neither of an age that would indicate serious life experience nor have I done anything or held a position that would make such an honorific appropriate to apply to me. Until I've done something worthy of the title, it's just wasted air.
Though, I will admit that I occasionally like it when it makes me feel like I'm a little older than I really am. Makes me feel like I can be taken a little more seriously than most people my age.

The only reason I dislike being called sir is that I am neither of an age that would indicate serious life experience nor have I done anything or held a position that would make such an honorific appropriate to apply to me. Until I've done something worthy of the title, it's just wasted air.
Though, I will admit that I occasionally like it when it makes me feel like I'm a little older than I really am. Makes me feel like I can be taken a little more seriously than most people my age.

I bet you would melt if a tiny little kid called you sir. :)

Maybe its because I was raised by a black family for a few years, but I got used to it as a good thing coming from that culture :V

Iono, if older women use it I'm okay, I only start side-eyeing if it is a younger woman using it "likewtfareyoutryingtoproveyou'renotolderthanme"

yep, it's one thing if someone is much older, then I can understand, but when someone in my age group does it, I cringe. It's rodonculous. It's also odd when someone calls me ma'am. I know some people use it out of politeness, but then there are others who maybe using it because of age. I also get a little royally po'd when someone much older calls me "dear." It feels odd. I think it's odd because when you've been an environment where no matter what your age, you're treated or seen as equals or the same, it seems a little ridiculous when people see or treat you as above or beneath them in age, status, or maturity. So, yeah, when people say things especially in a cutesy or condescending tone, it's annoying. I try to keep my distance from them. I don't even think you can have a normal conversation with them because they feel they can only relate to you as a younger or older person. Especially in this era when people should be more aware that some of these terms should not be used expecially in a work or public place, it's amazing how many continue to use it. And yes, it is offensive because of the tone and the assumptions underlying whey those terms are used. It's never just the use of the term but how and why it's being used. It often signifies that someone sees or wants to treat you in a particular way because of how they see you. This is why I often find myself annoyed at people who do this, instead of treating people like people, they find something to separate or divide themselves from others, instead of finding common ground. They seek out differences to make themselves feel or look better rather than find ways to connect. So, I can see how it's tiresome to hear these terms. They're sexist and condescending. If it's considered sexist for a man to use the term, why isn't it sexist for a woman to use them? double standard?

Reactions: invisible
I suppose I regard my elders (as in, the elderly ) with a degree of reverence so I easily accept their differentiating between us by using terms of endearment. I don't think I am as knowledgeable or experienced as them in most things, so I set them above me a bit. It's old fashioned, but my mom really drove it into us and I don't resent that.
I mostly see older ladies calling me honey and sweetie and dear as being maternal.

So I guess that's why I accept it and yet do not use those terms.

Do they realize how rude that can be?
A good question to ask is, yes, how can it be rude?

Sometimes it's a term of endearment, nothing more.
Sometimes it implies weakness; by proxy of youth, or 'aww, you're adorable (and therefore weak / does not have any importance, like that puppy over there? CUTE! But I can stomp it if I want to.)'
Sometimes people just hate being called cute... I guess?

It's probably too heteronormative or some such for certain folks. Just need to learn when they're being friendly and when they're being condescending.

The latter raises my ire as well.

I don't find it as insulting as when a 16 year old waitress calls me sweetie. Ex: southpark episode "raisins."

Last edited:
I can see why it seems weird to find it offensive when well intended and it is obvious.

I've had it used on me too many times in ill intended or manipulative ways to find it nice to hear anymore though. It makes my lip curl because it brings about those memories.

Damn those jerks, they ruined it for me.

I'm not from an English-speaking country, so I don't really hear the word "honey" used very often, but if we're talking about terms of endearment in general, I can easily understand how improper use could be considered rude.

I personally tend to use formal language around people I don't consider to be close friends. I use our equivalent of "Sir" or "Madam" (or a formal "you" - my language has both a formal and an informal "you," the usage of which is similar to the German Sie/du) when talking to people who are older than me, or to my superiors in a professional context. When I'm talking to someone who is my age or younger, I'll use his or her first name or an informal "you." I reserve informal language - including terms of endearment - for friends, family, and young children. Being mindful of language etiquette is an effective way of solidifying your position or status relative to that of the person you're conversing with. Using formal language is a sign of respect, and it should be reserved for people of a higher status, or for situations where showing respect is mandatory (talking to a customer, for example). When you use it, you distance yourself from the person you're talking to. Informal language is the exact opposite: using it implies that there's a close connection between you and the other person. If you use informal language when you shouldn't - i.e. when you're not really close to the person you're talking to - it seems strange and could be considered rude.

Reactions: Azazel
In Birmingham they call you 'Bab' :lol:

Reactions: Azazel
Being on this forum has taught me one hugely important lesson. When it comes to forming emotional connections - age does not play a part. What does come up as a barrier is cultural use of language as words are the only thing we have here as our communication. Nevertheless - I have fallen in love with 100's of people here - and let's face it - I'm pretty damn old while the majority are not. My experiences here have carried me out into the world and I now interact with huge numbers of young people - both as coworkers and supervisors.

That said....

If I use terms of endearment with anyone - it's because in that moment my heart has opened up to shine it's loving care and concern on yours.

I grew up using the words Sir and Ma'am as signs of respect. If you are my supervisor or you assume a position of teaching me - no matter your age - I will use those words with you. This is a realization on my part that we take on and put off roles of all kinds every day all day in our lives. If I am learning something from you as the teacher - then I might use those words as a respectful student acknowledging the gift of wisdom from you. I admit I have been condescending here on this forum a couple of times to persons no longer here. But in the majority of my time here - if I used words of endearment or seniority with any of you - to me this lets you know I am being loving and respectful. I act the same way in my real world life.

I am learning about other cultures and their resistance to "acting familiar or intimately" where it should not be appropriate. I apologize when this is pointed out to me and endeavor not to let my cultural mores or my emotional notions be expressed to them. Therefore - here especially - I try not to use those words unless I know the person is ok with it - so as not to offend. I find this very limiting...not only for me....but for them as well. Yet it is their desires I must honor - yes?

Note to @Jill Hives I am saddened to see you resist those little gifts of endearment based upon past conditioning. If they were said in truth - and not manipulation - your heart is missing out on some love being shined to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: invisible and Gaze
Honey, sugar, and darlin, are all used in the south by men and women of all ages.

I've noticed this but seems harmless enough, probably used for everyone.

thats-nice-honey-grandma-version-cool-story-bro-meme.jpg

Reactions: dneecey
I call a lot of people hun, or honey, but they are usually my wife, daughters, or close girl friends. I hope that does not make me an old lady.

This thread makes me feel like singing...

[video=youtube;h9nE2spOw_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o[/video]

Reactions: Kgal
now I'll call everyone here sugar and honey :m026:

So the reason why I find this to be rude is because:
A) I do not intimately know this woman and she is using a term of intimacy.
B) As a young woman working in the tech field, it is very important to me that I be taken seriously by clientele, when older clientele set the tone of "I'm older than you and you don't know what you are doing" then they are creating an atmosphere where I lose the title of expert, and my role becomes diminished.
C) If I find her use of this "endearing term" to be obnoxious, I am put in a situation where I cannot fight against this term of "endearment" because I would then be the rude one- even though the person's tone is nasty and she is saying "honey" condescendingly.

If someone I know and love uses a term of endearment I appreciate the hell out of it, it's when an absolute stranger I just met two minutes ago uses the term "sugar" "honey" "dearie" "sweetie" that I do not like.