Who is your best friend?

894tt3h9

On Holiday
Oct 3, 2009
MBTI
Beep Boop
Enneagram
Beep Boop
Tell me about your best friend. I'm curious. How did you meet? Why are they your friend? How does the friendship work between you? Are you exactly alike or quite dissimilar? What really makes them best friend material?

GO!

Reactions: Feelings
Man, all these friend, boyfriend, family and other feeler threads are making me feel incredibly lonely. :(

WHY must you do this to me?!!

....carry on! lol

Reactions: Feelings
Awww don't feel lonely! It's just what feelers do!

I don't have a best friend.
I'd rather have a few great friends than one best friend.

I don't have a best friend, let alone any great friends.

I suppose, then, that if you wanted you could describe some of those friends. No restrictions.

My best friends are: INFP INFP INTP ESFJ

To sum them up. The ESFJ friendship it probably the hardest but I learn the most from her and she makes me want to grow and improve myself the most. She makes me work to be understood and comminicate better, which I need...haha a lot.

I have very good individual friends. No group, or have I ever. I have a hard time in groups ( lol who knew) and I always dislike someone usually for being rude/mean/selfish. I'm trying to not be so open with my hostility towards people I don't like. It's a new challenge.

I met him in second grade. I was in a new school and just looked around the room for the person who looked least likely to kick my ass. Then I walked up and said "Hey V, wanne be friends?" I wish making friends was still that easy as an adult.

Anyway, so we always hung out when we could and were always bummed if we didn't end up in the same classroom for the next few years. We liked to draw comics and play video games etc. Then in fifth grade his parents moved about an hour away. That sucked because we could no longer go to school together and I know that at some point I must have naively pleaded with my parents to move somewhere closer to him on that basis.

We kept in contact via phone and writing just the same, and we were able to sleep over at each others houses on occasion. Being in different schools, we started to grow into our own circles of friends, but we still maintained our friendship as it was.

I eventually went up to college in the northern part of the state while he stayed on down south, and we weren't able to see each other nearly as often anymore, though we did hang out during the breaks. By the time I ended up back in the southern part of the state, he had met a girl from the east coast and eventually moved out there to be with her and pursue his academic career. He eventually married her. I was honored to be best man at the wedding and it was really one of the fondest memories of my life to have been able to share in their happiness and to deliver a speech in their honor that was thankfully well-received as I had written it drunk the night before the ceremony after being convinced not to wing it.

Lately the only chance we have to meet up is during the holidays. We still talk to each other regularly, once or twice a week, over the phone and we get all nostalgic about the stupid shit that occupied our time back in the day while also venting and discussing the present day. Oh, and we continue to send each other poorly-drawn, dark comics about obscure movie characters and/or completely exaggerated 'what if' moments regarding situations in our lives.

I don't think I could ask for much more in a best friend.

Last edited:
Tell me about your best friend. I'm curious. How did you meet? Why are they your friend? How does the friendship work between you? Are you exactly alike or quite dissimilar? What really makes them best friend material?

GO!

Hm. Well let's see. We were both cruising a dating site, so that's how it happened. Two lonely souls coming together in graceful harmony :m015:

Somehow I talked her into meeting me. We met, it was terrible, for some reason we kept chatting on-line after, and somehow a friendship magically evolved.

We chat online all day every day. Sometimes we meet and sometimes phone chat. We're dissimilar but somehow she likes that kind of shit.

She has been quite loyal, thus far, and muchly muchly muchly useful.

My boyfriend is my best friend as cheesy as that sounds. We live together and stuff so its nice to be able to hang out whenever we want. Pretty sure he's INFJ, comes across as INTJ sometimes though. We're really alike.

My longest best friend used to be my sisterinlaw. We were married to brothers. She is four years younger than me and at first I didn't think I'd like her much. As we spent more time together at family gatherings I decided I liked her. When she found herself in a very horrible situation and needed to move away from her husband, my brotherinlaw, no one in the families would help her. They didn't believe her when she described how he had changed. I did, though. I could see it in him. So, I talked my then husband into letting her live with us for a couple of weeks, helped her move, took in all of her cats, and generally defended her to everyone else. (I was always the black sheep and the instigator in those days :lol:)

That was the beginning of it I think.

She's tall and thin and looks like a model. I'm short, curvy, and definitely not model material.
She's vivacious, artistic, creative, sings, dances, and is very athletic. I'm a nerd, thinks a lot, can't follow a dance routine (but I can belly dance - she taught me) and not artistic.
She became a police officer. I was an engineer turned accountant and lately turned social worker.
She can change her focus or hobby as often as some people change shoes. I'm a rock....steady as she goes.
Lately she has taken up Roller Derby as her obsession. I'm a Forum moderator. LOL
She's an Aries. I'm a Taurus.

Can you see what's happening?

But in our core - in our hearts - we revere all life - especially with regard to the planet Earth. We both have strong intuitive feelings about animals, plants, and the evil ones treading softly in the dark places. We both love the country. I loaned her money so she could buy her 25 acres about 20 minutes down the road from me.
Oh that's another difference between us. She absolutely cannot manage money. I have no problem with it.

I've lived over a thousand miles away from her and we still kept in touch. Before internet, we'd write letters, send cards, and gag gifts in the mail. For a while there we didn't talk for months and months, but when we started again, it was as if we never stopped.

Now we talk every other day. I don't get to see her often for various reasons. She is usually on the road going to some artistic event whether it be Belly Dancing, Opening for Jimmy Buffet, Salsa Dancing, Rifle and Pistol Competitions, and now it's Roller Derby. (amazing she's 51 now). So we're like ships crossing in the night. I plan to go over to her place tomorrow afternoon to see the new Bird Aviary she built for her rescue birds.
We have both rescued many dogs. So I guess we have that in common.

She calls me to get advice on how to handle people, especially her family. I call her for tactical advice on how to be safe when out in public by myself, how to handle my gun, and so on.

I love her and she loves me and we tell each other that all the time.
I have her back and she has mine.

This has been going on for 31 years.

My husband. I don't really have many friends anymore.

Reactions: Edith
I met my best friend when we were 2 years old. We were in the same sunday school class and became inseparable. We grew up in totally different homes as totally different people. She was from an easy-going, loving, artistic family and grew up as a gentle, caring, and pretty insecure person. I grew up in an abusive home and became overwhelmed, matured too quickly, and also I was very conflicted. I think we balanced each other out. We were still inseparable through school and took our turns moving across the country for various reasons. It was very hard on us when the other moved, but we never lost that connection. She's on the other side of the country again now, but we email or text several times a day.

What is amusing to me is that in our teenage years we were SO far from who we are now, and we're both INFJs now. We never talked about this until recently, I had no idea she was an INFJ, but I had a few suspicions. We always hid those parts of ourselves even from each other, and its been so great to be able to talk about all of that like we hadn't before.

Our friendship works by the way we balance each other out still. We rant, whine, cry, pine over hot guys, everything. We give each other advice and encouragement. She's in a program for Occ. Therapy and I'll be entering into a similar one, so those interests and understandings are so great to have. Plus having a fellow INFJ know me so well, its great for a bestie to know what its like to be this....weird. Its crazy to me the way we started so differently, grew up so differently, and have come into our own to be so similar. So many things we dreamed about having or doing as little girls has come true. I think she's what God gave me to help me survive my life growing up. Its been 20 years, and I'm more than positive she'll be my best friend for 60 more. :)

MAHSELF.

other than that, my ESTP psuedo husband.
other than that, my xNFJ Chicago bestie.
other than that, my ISFJ Sweden bestie.
other than that, my ENTP @saru.

Last edited:
Tell me about your best friend.

ESFP

How did you meet

We were both new to the same school, and strangely had just moved from the same city.

How does the friendship work between you

He is loudly outrageous to my quietly reserved.

Are you exactly alike or quite dissimilar

Dissimilar in all regards, especially on how we perceive right from wrong.

Tell me about your best friend:

Ehrm. I'm not sure what to bring up. If there's anyone in this world I would die for, it's these peepz. My best friends consist of three guys and two girls.

How did you meet:

Well, I met one guy at college, one guy on this very forum (requiem), and another in high school when I decided to be more social. I met one girl at a summer event and I met the other at college as well.

How does the friendship work between you:

The guy I met at college: typical INTP troll. Massive asshole but he's also quite the talker as well, he's almost deceived me with his abilities (and the one reason why he trusts me so much is because he actually failed at persuading me when we first met) but he's also a nice guy. I troll him, he trolls me, and we have a good relationship although a bit crude by others standards. We always go to each for advice though, our thinking manners are so drastically different that we get a totally different perspective on the things we're having trouble with (Of course, we've had issues because of this fact but we're staring to understand each other. He knows that when I bring something up specifically, unless i say I'm going to do it, I'm thinking out loud. He understands that I've already made a decision and I'm reinforcing it with his help. He understands I think in big pictures and not in details and, such, don't see a reason to disregard an argument that's right because a detail is wrong. I understand that he cares about details and that by attacking his argument, he sees the argument as fundamentally flawed. I understand he likes to talk his problems through, completely, skipping no steps once so ever.

Requiem: Pretty much my best bud. He's an XNTJ and even though we've met on the internet, we share a lot in common. Our relationship is that consists are bluntness and truthfulness. We will not lie to each other and we often know how the other one is thinking and feeling. We tend to share the same values even though we have different life goals.

High school bud: Life of the party, very well known, little bit of a nerd but the sweetest most sincere guy you know. The man's a bit naive about life but he's still a good guy. He knows how to handle people as well. He's also quite the dancer. We're kind of the odd couple, I'm the physically opposing and typically harsher personality individual while he's the low key, down to earth, artistic individual.

Little sister: Met this girl during a summer event and then met her again at college. For some reason, this girls reminds me of me when I was younger. She's a drama kid, likes to act, really naive, but somehow still wise and somewhat manipulative. I don't know why I feel a need to protect this girl but I do. She's also been through a lot of things and she doesn't quite understand how people act yet.

Other girl: My girlfriend. We're slightly similar, we enjoy anime, manga, video games, and other things but we're also very different. For example, she's anti-confrontational and it could be said that I'm a bit confrontational. We've both moved around a lot in life and I think we have a fundamental grasp on what it is to lose things. Anyways. We're not similar in behavior: She's the talkative, brash, loud, and optimistic presenting girl and I'm more the quiet, observe, speak when I feel like it, and realistic chico.

In a way, an old phrase pops into mind. Our friends just seem to mirror one or more things about us in a way.