Which type is the rarest? | INFJ Forum

Which type is the rarest?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
Elizabeth gave me the idea. Which type do you think is really the rarest? Personally, I'm inclined to believe it is ENFJs or maybe INFPs. It seems that everyone knows an INFJ.

Reactions: Jexocuha
Satya said:
Elizabeth gave me the idea. Which type do you think is really the rarest? Personally, I'm inclined to believe it is ENFJs or maybe INFPs. It seems that everyone knows an INFJ.
Doubt that as I can say I know more ENFJs and INFPs then I do INFJs. Being the rarest and actually being rare can be two very different things. We're supposedly 1 percent of the general population of the U.S..That being said the general population is quite large; 301,139,947 as of 2007, according to the central intellegance associations site. 1% of that number is still 3,011,399.6. Also there's always those who mistype. Whenever I read of someone being typed that I will never meet, I always take it with a grain of salt. People make mistakes.

Does anyone have the actual statistics for each type? Are we really supposed to be the rarest?

For that matter, I wish they'd classify by type and gender. For example, I'm betting there are more INFJ females than ENTJ females (my BFF is ENTJ), in that sense making ENTJ females more rare.

Or do they already have stats on type and gender classifications?

Kwistalline said:
Does anyone have the actual statistics for each type? Are we really supposed to be the rarest?

For that matter, I wish they'd classify by type and gender. For example, I'm betting there are more INFJ females than ENTJ females (my BFF is ENTJ), in that sense making ENTJ females more rare.

They do, I don't know how accurate they are though, then again, I can't imagine anyone does.

http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/population-gender/

Silently Honest said:
Kwistalline said:

They do, I don't know how accurate they are though, then again, I can't imagine anyone does.

http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/population-gender/

Thanks! This is awesome stuff! If only I could spend my life on research and philanthropy . . . I would truly be happy . . .

Here are some statistics from the book "What Type am I?" by Renee Baron. These numbers came from The Journal of Psychological Type, Volume 37, Copyright 1996, "The Distribution of MBTI Types in the United States" by Allen L. Hammer and Wayne D. Mitchell.

It looks like these researchers actually recorded the personality types of a population, rather than just guessing and making estimates (like David Keirsey, among others, has done).

Males Females Males Females

ESTJ 12.9% 7.3% ENTJ 3.5% 2.1%

ESFJ 4.7% 14.1% ENTP 6.7% 2.8%

ISTJ 19.4% 12.3% INTJ 4.8% 2.2%

ISFJ 6.3% 16.2% INTP 6.5% 4.0%

ESTP 6.2% 3.6% ENFJ 1.5% 3.4%

ESFP 4.0% 7.2% ENFP 6.0% 6.6%

ISTP 8.7% 4.3% INFJ 2.0% 3.1%

ISFP 2.3% 6.4% INFP 4.5% 4.2%

Sorry that it's all scrunched and hard to read. I tried to space the numbers farther apart but it didn't seem to work.

Anyway, here, ENFJ is the rarest male type and ENTJ, the rarest female type.

And yes, the INFP entry was typed correctly: This sample had slightly MORE INFP males than females!

Elizabeth said:
And yes, the INFP entry was typed correctly: This sample had slightly MORE INFP males than females!

Is there something going on with you and the INFPs? :roll:

Elizabeth said:

I'm happy. I feel less unusual.

Elizabeth said:
Here are some statistics from the book "What Type am I?" by Renee Baron. These numbers came from The Journal of Psychological Type, Volume 37, Copyright 1996, "The Distribution of MBTI Types in the United States" by Allen L. Hammer and Wayne D. Mitchell.

It looks like these researchers actually recorded the personality types of a population, rather than just guessing and making estimates (like David Keirsey, among others, has done).

Did it mention the experimental margin of error?

sriv said:
Elizabeth said:

Did it mention the experimental margin of error?

No, the book didn't. You would have to look up the original article to find that out.

Well that explains why I don't know any of your type in real life. Not many of my type either.

Jez this world is overrun with sensors :cry:

Lurker said:
Jez this world is overrun with sensors.

Can't be that much of a bad thing. Probably for a reason too.

sriv said:
Lurker said:
Jez this world is overrun with sensors.

Can't be that much of a bad thing. Probably for a reason too.
I'm sure it isn't. And I know I have no interest in doing what SJs do, or SPs.

Nope, I recon it's a good thing, most of my friends are sensors and I must admit I like that they have such a different way of thinking to me. ;)

It would be nice to have a few more intuitive people in my life so my way of thinking didn't always so alien though.

Elizabeth said:

Males Females Males Females

ESTJ 12.9% 7.3% ENTJ 3.5% 2.1%

ESFJ 4.7% 14.1% ENTP 6.7% 2.8%

ISTJ 19.4% 12.3% INTJ 4.8% 2.2%

ISFJ 6.3% 16.2% INTP 6.5% 4.0%

ESTP 6.2% 3.6% ENFJ 1.5% 3.4%

ESFP 4.0% 7.2% ENFP 6.0% 6.6%

ISTP 8.7% 4.3% INFJ 2.0% 3.1%

ISFP 2.3% 6.4% INFP 4.5% 4.2%

Sorry that it's all scrunched and hard to read. I tried to space the numbers farther apart but it didn't seem to work.

You are an invaluable source of knowledge on this forum!! May you never leave . . . :lol:
I should tell my friend she IS the rarest female type . . . no wonder we intuitives have a hard time finding compatible romantic partners!! We are rare, and so are they! Oy.

Kwistalline said:
You are an invaluable source of knowledge on this forum!! May you never leave . . . :lol:

Awwww... :oops:

leave me out of this drama

Oh no, not my special snowflakeness.
Guess it's time to artificially change my type.