Director of Glomps
Donor
Feb 9, 2009
MBTI
INFJ!
Enneagram
6w5 SO
American English Accent Quiz

Okay, so it won't be accurate for many of us, but it's still interesting.

My results:

You Speak General American English!
65% General American English

25% Yankee

5% Dixie

5% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

general.jpg
40% General American English

25% Yankee

20% Upper Midwestern

15% Dixie

0% Midwestern

I'm originally from the Chicago area and moved to Indiana.. My boyfriend says I'm starting to get a lil' drawl. I hope I get a full-on hick drawl. I'd love it.

The only thing I took from Iowa is when someone says "thank you" I say "yup" instead of "you're welcome". Every once in a while I'll call soda POP despite myself. Oh god I actually miss the midwest....

Apparently I say 'roll' like: raw-al
That was pointed out last time I took him for sushi..
So either I'm getting a drawl or I've had a stroke.

I took this quiz. It was funny, I came out as Michigan or something. I will have to look it up.

50% General American English

20% Dixie

20% Yankee

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

Which is hilarious, because I was born in Chicago and grew up in Ohio...then after a few turns in California, St. Louis, and Europe I came to Texas (where I've lived for twenty years, so far...).

So my accent is all messed up.:m129:

This quiz doesn't have other options. I don't say some of those words. I chose the one I would rather use and came out General American.

General American:

30% Dixie

20% Yankee

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

This kinda makes sense. I was born in TX, moved to Pennsylvania in fifth grade, and go to college in New England.

I use "y'all" and "wicked" in the same sentence and know what a "packy" is. I've also picked up the occasional "all a yahz" from PA and have started pronouncing some of my words (house, out, about) with a Minnesota slant - no idea where that one came from.

I think I pick up accents/dialects fairly quickly though. I've got relatives in NC and it only takes a day or two down there before I start drawling.

I have what you call the "non-accent" ... I sound like news people heh.

90% General American English

5% Dixie

5% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

0% Yankee

Wyote, that would be American radio English. Easiest to understand, in America.

55% General American English

20% Yankee

15% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

5% Midwestern

You Speak General American English

So not true! :rant:

40% General American English
30% Yankee
25% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

45% Strine English
35% Broad Australian
10% Cultivated Australian
5% Taking the Piss
5% Pirate

An English Captains experience with Early Strine

From the memoirs of Captain James Rowntree:

"On Monday of this week a Welsh convict named Jones called me "a Fair Dinkum Arsehole". Such insolence and was about to pistol whip him when Jones quickly started rambling. The funny thing was that it turns out that "Fair Dinkum" actually reverses the insult which follows. By calling me "a Fair Dinkum arsehole" he was saying that I am, in some way, the farthest thing possible away from an arsehole. Feeling quite chuffed with myself I refrained from beating the man. I have decided to play along with their folly. In the last few days I have been called a "Fair dinkum Prick", Dick, Asseshead, Cows Tit and some really vulgar words that I would not put to paper. It has taken time but I have finally gained respect from these horrid convicts " 12th Febuary, 1839 *

* sometimes reality should not stand in the way of a good story

Last edited by a moderator:
45% Strine English
35% Broad Australian
10% Cultivated Australian
5% Taking the Piss
5% Pirate

It's highly possible that I would be completely unable to understand what you're saying if I met you in person. I find the Australian accent to be the second most difficult english accent to understand, right after the Irish accent.

I didn't see much of the Upper Midwest slang in that quiz, so

70% General American English

10% Dixie

10% Yankee

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

The only thing I took from Iowa is when someone says "thank you" I say "yup" instead of "you're welcome". Every once in a while I'll call soda POP despite myself. Oh god I actually miss the midwest....

Thats because its nicer here. Except during the harsh and unforgiving winters. Also that Yup instead of You're welcome would have been a good indicator for that test.

It's highly possible that I would be completely unable to understand what you're saying if I met you in person. I find the Australian accent to be the second most difficult english accent to understand, right after the Irish accent.

Sort of like this then?

Last edited:

Pfft! Yeah right, second hardest my ass... Have you never heard a Scotsman speaking local slang?!?

:faint2:

general.jpg

35% Yankee

15% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

Woohooo what does that mean?

Pfft! Yeah right, second hardest my ass... Have you never heard a Scotsman speaking local slang?!?

OMG I have noticed this!

It is like they are having a seizure.

I second that! My parents once rented a Scottish movie and it had subtitles even though they speak English! :D

My results:
55% General American English

15% Upper Midwestern

15% Yankee

10% Dixie

5% Midwestern

-- What pisses me off is that non-American isn't an option :p And, some things I had no option for. I call tennis shoes / sneakers "Running Shoes". Apparently I'm weird?