What's the purpose of science? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What's the purpose of science?

To lower my college and high school grade point averages cause there are many concepts that I just cannot wrap my brain around no matter how hard I study and how many different tutors/ websites/ book etc I look through in order to try to understand it.

I believe science is there to help us understand the world around us, and help prove some things real, that were considered supernatural.

You dont believe in the supernatural?

By "real," she probably meant explainable by science. That does not rule out some definitions of "supernatural," since very real things are foreign concepts to our earthly minds. If you think about it, you might agree that the supernatural, if "real," should be intimately connected with and understandable by science. We simply aren't that advanced yet.

In my point of view, science is a aspect in finding ultimate knowledge. Everyone wants knowledge. I would have to say science is a branch of philosophy (love of knowlegde) along with religion. How can religion and science be categorize under the same thing, you may ask. I think that religion and science is just finding meaning to the things around us in different aspects. Science does it though observations and experiments. Religion does it though examining religious documents like the Bible. Mainly, science and religion is trying to find meaning to everything around us.

I believe the purpose of science is, at the root, a deep, natural curiosity and a determination to find answers to questions.

What motivates us to find these answers is, I think, where things get interesting.

I feel there are some who seek answers to, for example, earth sciences with an aim toward manipulating them for our (human) use. I feel there are some who seek answers with an aim toward protecting them from manipulation. And finally I feel there are some who are comforted by reducing the number of mysteries in the world, with an aim toward feeling more in control of our existence and destiny. Many people are frightened by mystery.