What's a bad person? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What's a bad person?

I do not think that there are good or bad people.

There are certainly actions that people can take that are inconveniencing to others. There can certainly be "malicious intent", but perhaps they just dont empathize as much, or they have deep-set feelings of anger or whatever from being hurt in the past or from a certain type of thinking which causes them to think they should take that action. Why should people care about others, and why are people that don't deemed as "bad"? Objects like the sun and rain don't care about others, but they aren't bad. Of course, they aren't sentient either, but even others humans we only label them as sentient, and we expect them to be sentient as we know it, when really, they could just see things in a different way.

Have you noticed a pattern so far with the posts given?

yes but those are all their subjective opinions...

just like if there's a pattern about what kind of fashion people tend to like... doesn't mean it's not subjective

A bad person is a person who does bad things.

Bad things are things that are harmful to others.

Harm is damage to another person's physical well-being or potential for physical well-being.

So we're all kind of bad, but some people are far more bad than others.

yes but those are all their subjective opinions...

just like if there's a pattern about what kind of fashion people tend to like... doesn't mean it's not subjective

Well, I find it an interesting coincidence that so far everyone is proclaiming the golden rule (a universal principle).

even unintentionally? what counts as intentional or unintentional?

idk how much of a tangent im setting up here..

You're setting up quite the tangent- because it opens the door to the question of free will as well as the question of whether the intention of the action matters versus the consequence of the action. These questions have been debated for a long time and are still highly contentious.

ive met people who don't care about hurting other people as long as it gets them something they want - abuser type people who hurt others for their own gain. they don't have to feel bad about it because they make their own moral world in which they are able to absolve themselves of responsibility usually by blaming the person they harmed or at worst just defining the function of that person as being to provide them with the products obtained. they are dishonest and manipulative and often violent. i know we all hurt others just by existing and everything but people like this take it to a whole other level.

Well, I find it an interesting coincidence that so far everyone is proclaiming the golden rule (a universal principle).

it's true that it's a principle that most people live by because it makes a lot of sense to do so

it's true that it's a principle that most people live by because it makes a lot of sense to do so

Let me ask you a question; What is the difference between the man who sexual assaults a child vs a man who says 2 + 2 = 5?

What is a person?: A rational being.

What is a good person? A being that lives reasonably.

What is a bad person? A being that refuses to live in a reasonable way.

What is a person?: A rational being.

What is a good person? A being that lives reasonably.

What is a bad person? A being that refuses to live in a reasonable way.

what's an irrational being, in your opinion? what makes something reasonable or unreasonable, and why does this make them good or bad people?

i think the point of this thread may be to find out what 'bad' means to people.

so to me a person that does 'bad' is a person that physically or emotionally harms people when they could have not done so (whether that is through anger management, being forgiving, being more generous, being kind, being patient and so on), so basically we are all bad, and some are more bad than others.

the more bad people are the ones that could have more easily decided to do a good act rather than a bad one.