What's a bad person? | INFJ Forum

What's a bad person?

barbad0s

Banned
Apr 18, 2011
MBTI
POOP
What makes a person bad, by your standards?

edit:

I can fully comprehend how people might typically label others as bad or good. It's just that I don't think people should be obligated to have certain morals, and be deprived of compassion or understanding from other human beings just because of this. Of course that means I believe people are entitled to believe and act however they want, including "what I don't think people should believe". It's just that I do not operate in this way, because I don't think its very magnanimous or truly showing the utmost of human understanding and compassion to be that way. People label those as wrong or broken people because they don't exhibit the moral attitudes of their society, because they hurt and inconvenience others. It makes sense and is convenient to do so, but people think these are broken, truly objectively bad and unworthy human beings, rather than realizing that these views are subjective in the context of their own society and the values that people have been brought up to hold. It separates human beings into light and dark, rather than realizing that anyone, even you or I, could become a child molester if they experienced certain conditions or had the bad luck of having certain forms of mental and emotional development in their lives.

Labeling others as "bad" serves a pupose among human groups. People need to warn one another if someone does hurtful or malicious things to other people, so that they can guard themselves or stay away from them.

But aside from this practical purpose, why would people believe that the concept of "bad people" still has so much objective truth in the world?

Last edited by a moderator:
A person who sets out and plans to harm another person via their own malicious actions.

Depends, what do you mean by 'bad'?

Bad as in Lady Gaga's sense of fashion or do you mean bad as in morally wrong? One is subjective, the other is objective.

Reactions: bamf
there are no bad people. . .
there are bad choices. . bad/ unfortunate circumstances. .severely mentally ill people. .
but not bad people. .

Depends which philosophy you equip :D

By my standards... there's good in almost everyone. That's just logic.
A hypothetical bad person, because I don't think I've ever met one, would have to be one with no degree of remorse for his/her wrongdoings.

there are no bad people. . .
there are bad choices. . bad/ unfortunate circumstances. .severely mentally ill people. .
but not bad people. .

I remember they used to tell us that in elementary school. I'm not sure I believe it. What makes you believe it, out of curiosity?

35 plus years working in institutions. mental hospitals and prisons. . . . I hear the stories, see the shattered lives. . see what "bad" people are capable of . . the compassion towards another. . the love that these bad folks are capable of. .
I judge no longer. . God's job, not mine. .

Reactions: Kgal
Someone who effectively acts as a catalyst for disease, the more blunt ones doing it directly and intentionally.
These are bad, though some of the most potent sources of education unlike any other kind.

any person that, kills, maims, rapes, or otherwise injures another human in the absence of absolute necessity.

Reactions: Rasmus
Under what circumstance is it absolutely necessary to rape someone? Or are the first three absolutes and the last one (injuring) conditional?

People that hate stupid people are bad people.

Reactions: invisible
Under what circumstance is it absolutely necessary to rape someone? Or are the first three absolutes and the last one (injuring) conditional?

Well there is a D&D book where a Paladin had to rape a young woman in front of some bandits or the bandits were going to kill her.

Reactions: Sloe Djinn
Selective ethics/betrayal.

None, it just happens to be the only one in the list that has no appropriate conditions for necessity. Still makes you a bad person though (keep in mind I'm talking about real rape here, not consensual play acting). The other 3 have conditions under which they won't necessarily make you a bad person.

Reactions: the
Those who seek power for the sake of power.
Those who have a great desire for rationally un-necessary acquisition at the cost of others. (greed)
Those who inflate their worth for frivolous reasons.
Those who seek to inflict harm or create destruction in circumstances void of rational necessity.
Those who are dishonest and emotionally manipulate people.

Those who seek power for the sake of power.
Those who have a great desire for rationally un-necessary acquisition at the cost of others. (greed)
Those who inflate their worth for frivolous reasons.
Those who seek to inflict harm or create destruction in circumstances void of rational necessity.
Those who are dishonest and emotionally manipulate people.

There are many variants on the word "bad" and usually I try not judge most people - including the ones in prison and mental hospitals.

However:

I do believe those people who seek power in order to acquire resources at the costs of others (greed) and emotionally manipulate the populace to get what they want are truly Bad.
They are bad for me. They are bad for you. They are bad for the majority of the sentient beings on this planet. And they are Bad for future generations to come.