What makes you believe? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What makes you believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of weird shit has happened to me in my life that has made me believe there is something more to the universe than our current perceptions allow us to understand.

Honestly it would be foolish to think that we have the universe figured out, even on a scientific basis. Our understanding of things has changed drastically over the past hundred years and I am certain it will change again within the next few hundred, assuming we last that long.

Whatever it is we don't have it quite right yet, like Chaz said. But there is more, I am certain.

A lot of weird shit has happened to me in my life that has made me believe there is something more to the universe than our current perceptions allow us to understand.

Honestly it would be foolish to think that we have the universe figured out, even on a scientific basis. Our understanding of things has changed drastically over the past hundred years and I am certain it will change again within the next few hundred, assuming we last that long.

Whatever it is we don't have it quite right yet, like Chaz said. But there is more, I am certain.

Oh sure; this is easy to agree with. My faith in science isn't so much that it's complete by any stretch of the imagination... it's just complete enough that it returns excellent results most of the time, and when it doesn't it typically returns enough information to be a self-correcting system. It has been incredibly reliable to us so far and there's no reason to abandon it, even if it eventually leads to having to acknowledge a god-hole in existence (that spot that can constantly spout the question 'but where did THAT come from?' no matter how many times you answer it.)

I want to know what exactly makes you believe there's something out there

Movies

Gotta wonder... if God made us in his image, who made him?

revengeofthefallenposter.jpg

Plenty of Evidence, and a dab of hope.

Last edited:
When I consider the physical universe there seem to be two options:

1. I can believe that the universe has an extrinsic cause of its existence (God).

2. I can believe that the universe is eternal and exists without causality (ie. it exists by necessity).

There is no scientific evidence for, or against either of these positions.... there are opinions, beliefs, theories, etc - but no conclusive irrefutable SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE. So, looking at the merits of the two positions: the eternity of the universe is an opinion held by many and is held as a simple belief. The contingency of the universe is held by Christians (and many others) and it seems that their teaching of their faith has been confirmed by many scientifically inexplicable miracles throughout history - and seems to encourage people to aspire to a better life and way of life than they would otherwise have led.

This makes me think that theistic belief is a better bet than atheistic belief. However, the actual reason I choose to believe that God exists and communicates Himself, rather than believing that there is no God, or that He does not communicate Himself, is because I feel drawn to Him by a sense of love.

the sunrise

I want to know what exactly makes you believe there's something out there...

All natural laws are tangible in their effect, and we acknowledge their existence. I would say that I experience God much in the same way I experience any natural law.

This makes me think that theistic belief is a better bet than atheistic belief. However, the actual reason I choose to believe that God exists and communicates Himself, rather than believing that there is no God, or that He does not communicate Himself, is because I feel drawn to Him by a sense of love.

And in this love I find fulfillment of every need where all of humanity is concerned.

Last edited:
My lack of belief caused me to believe. To explain a bit further...

My lack of faith in the religion I was raised caused me to eventually fall away from it and convert to another later in life.

What it basically came down to were the questions there were no logical answers to in one, were explained better in the other. My beliefs do not cause me to defy logic (have faith, yes, but not at the cost of logic), coincide with my personal views much better and are generally much more compatible with my lifestyle.

To shorten this even more: It just makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.