What kind of dreams do infjs have? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

What kind of dreams do infjs have?

Last night dream:
I was going to a shop for cigarettes, took L&M Loft Press when right I came from shop a girl walked to me and asked "can you give me a pack of cigarettes? " I said "NO" then she asked "would you trade 10cigs in my 10cigs?" I said show me your cigarettes and she showed me her vagina.

I used to smoke back in the days, but never ever I had such a beautiful dream lol.

I do however, have recurring dreams about school/college, about how I still had to take classes to graduate. They feel so stressful, almost nightmarish, because every time I wake up, the first thing I realize is that I got my degree already, so no more school (not like I hated it, but definitely don't want to repeat). The last time I had a similar dream was two days ago, and it was about how I showed up late for my math test and had to ask my teacher to re-take it. I freaken graduated 12 years ago and I have no idea why these dreams still haunt me till this day...

Last night I took out my heart and kidney out of my mouth I thought it was indigestible food. I said to mom "Mom! I accidentally took my heart and kidney from my mouth, what to do?" she said "we need to go to a good dentist!" I said "like the last one?" she said "no, we need a better one, he doesn't have good enough name (reputation)". That's it.

The same night I was going to school with my 6 grade crush, everyone been older there and did much more in life then I did.
Also dreamed about dog, his collar always started heating up and burn him when people got close to him I tried to not let any people come close to him he could talk as well, he said that I don't care about him and nobody does. https://goo.gl/images/uy1Zp8
He was a little bit bigger and with all legs.

Last edited:
I dream about the beach a lot, which I read is about my emotions, or my subconscious. Once, I dreamt that a tidal wave was coming and I had to duck to escape it. Another time, I dreamt that my dogs ran in front of me and I chased after them, then I saw a huge tidal wave coming carrying a bunch of elephants. I still don’t know what that one was about. My dreams are pretty vivid. There have been times when I tell myself to remember a dream while I’m having it and then totally forget it when I wake up.

@Happy Phantom @Skarekrow - I would hazard to guess that you guys felt attacked in your daily life when you had those dreams

I dream about the beach a lot, which I read is about my emotions, or my subconscious. Once, I dreamt that a tidal wave was coming and I had to duck to escape it. Another time, I dreamt that my dogs ran in front of me and I chased after them, then I saw a huge tidal wave coming carrying a bunch of elephants. I still don’t know what that one was about. My dreams are pretty vivid. There have been times when I tell myself to remember a dream while I’m having it and then totally forget it when I wake up.

@Happy Phantom @Skarekrow - I would hazard to guess that you guys felt attacked in your daily life when you had those dreams
Possible, though it’s been some time since I have felt attacked by anyone in any way that was significant.
I always laugh at my work/stress dreams I used to have...they are bringing the patient in the room and I have no instruments...ahhhhhh!!!!!
Or...oh shit, I was supposed to be at that surgery 3 hours ago...aahhhhh!!!!
lololol
Believe it or not, I actually enjoy what someone would call a nightmare...sure it can scare the hell out of me, but I mostly just enjoy the storyline or the set up after I wake up...I think it’s probably from having nearly nightly night terrors for more than 5 years as a child - I mean the fact that I can appreciate them on another level now, lol.
As for getting killed or the apocalyptic dreams...I tend to equate certain events with certain dreams I have (such as the dreams I had around the time my Dad died), and I don’t remember ever doing that with any of these, but that doesn’t mean on some subconscious level that wasn’t happening either.
Hope you are well!

Last edited:
When studying enneagrams for @Ren's thread, I read that Enneagram 5 types have a tendency to run from places and situations where they don't fit. A sense of place is also important to them. I'm skeptical of Enneagrams, but type 5 fits.
I can't find a link to this description right now. In any case, throughout my entire life the consistent theme in my dreams has been travel. I'm always wandering somewhere, running from something (more common in my teens and twenties), running to something, exploring, and occasionally being chased or followed. I never stay in one place in my dreams. Even in dreams I control, I am traveling, trying to get somewhere and meet a series of possible distractions.
I'm also very aware that common explanations for this theme in dreams do not fit my dreams at all. When I read that about type 5 Enneagrams, I thought, "Oh, OK." It was embarrassing, and made my cringe, but it was accurate.
I wonder if this is a combination of being Type 5 and INFJ. There is a combination of a tendency to run from what doesn't work or fit for type 5 and the INFJ problem of being different from the pack, despite wanting to go with the flow of the pack, due to Fe.
I'm not preoccupied by not fitting in and being different, I just know I am and go on with life (and try to mesh), but I do desire connection and finding a place where I belong. When I moved to where I live now I felt an overwhelming sense of peace. Even my father said, "This is where you belong." He seemed like he could rest a little easier after he visited me here. I rarely dream about wandering anymore, but when I do, my dreams are about exploring where I live. For example, I will walk forest roads with a pack of wolves. I walk forest roads every day. I dream about wolves when coyotes are howling outside my house. (Sometimes they wake me up.)

Last edited:
@Asa Some speculations about the 'outsider' mentality.

This relates to the 'shaman' or 'visionary' role for which INFJs are supposedly suited.

I felt the 'outsiderness' until I got into a functional community/village (the staff of a high school), and then our independence of thought and elevation of truth really made sense to me.

To reframe it, it's not like we're supposed to be 'outside', but rather that we're supposed to be 'in front', like a scout or a pathfinder. It might feel like we're alone, but actually people will follow behind. At that point, people really do start to appreciate and value your difference.

However, if we're divorced from this communal context, the INFJ mindset might find it difficult to fit into this very large and formless society we've constructed.

When studying enneagrams for @Ren's thread, I read that Enneagram 5 types have a tendency to run from places and situations where they don't fit. A sense of place is also important to them. I'm skeptical of Enneagrams, but type 5 fits.

I am very like that. Oh boy, am I a 5 after all? :sweatsmile:

@Asa Some speculations about the 'outsider' mentality.

This relates to the 'shaman' or 'visionary' role for which INFJs are supposedly suited.

I felt the 'outsiderness' until I got into a functional community/village (the staff of a high school), and then our independence of thought and elevation of truth really made sense to me.

To reframe it, it's not like we're supposed to be 'outside', but rather that we're supposed to be 'in front', like a scout or a pathfinder. It might feel like we're alone, but actually people will follow behind. At that point, people really do start to appreciate and value your difference.

However, if we're divorced from this communal context, the INFJ mindset might find it difficult to fit into this very large and formless society we've constructed.

That's a quite interesting perspective. It's true that depending on the function I occupy, I can feel quite at home in a "system". It really depends. By the way, have you done the enneagram test and if so, could you share what your results were?

That's a quite interesting perspective. It's true that depending on the function I occupy, I can feel quite at home in a "system". It really depends. By the way, have you done the enneagram test and if so, could you share what your results were?

No I haven't. I think I looked it up (last week?) and I don't think I could find the theoretical or empirical basis, so it looked more like a pseudoscience. Of course there will be an element of tautological truth to it if it's questionnaire based, but still. I think that's what put me off.

I'll do it and get back to you for the fun of it, though.

No I haven't. I think I looked it up (last week?) and I don't think I could find the theoretical or empirical basis, so it looked more like a pseudoscience. Of course there will be an element of tautological truth to it if it's questionnaire based, but still. I think that's what put me off.

I'll do it and get back to you for the fun of it, though.

Yeah it's not quite the same approach, and I'm still rather skeptical about it, but I think it can be fun to do it and then discuss it.

I've an idea of what you might be. :joey:

I did two tests since the first one asked me for my email address...

Anyway, I came out as 1w2.

I kind of identify, but then a lot of it is way off. For instance, I'm not emotionally repressed and I can easily relax. I know the importance of deadlines, and work to them, but they don't stress me or make me anxious.

But, in general, the test I did was just methodologically pants. The false duality of questions, forcing an answer when I didn't identify with either. Even questions with two clauses (!). Weird.

I'm really tempted to say that it's nonsense beyond the obvious tautologies. Yeah, unimpressed.

P.S. I did the 'classical' test on 'eclecticalenergies.com', which happens to be the perfect domain name to put me off.

I had a look at a 1w2 description, and I identified with the positive description, but the weaknesses were off for me. By contrast, I identified with the weaknesses of the INFJ.

P.S. I don't know now, maybe? I'm trying to squint.

I had a look at a 1w2 description, and I identified with the positive description, but the weaknesses were off for me. By contrast, I identified with the weaknesses of the INFJ.

Check out 1w9 and 5w6 also. As well as tritype 125.

I relate to some aspects of 1w9 - maybe it's because of how I come across on here - but probably just as equally to 1w2.

It seems to be the difference between active (1w2) and passive (1w9) modes of the same personality, depending upon their environment. I've behaved in ways characteristic of both types, but again, depending on the environment. If the environment exhibits obvious injustice (E.g. A workplace), I'm more like a 1w2, whereas if it doesn't (E.g. A university - but we'll see!), I'm more like a 1w9.

Therefore I don't actually think that they are distinct subtypes.

Yeah, 5w6 in its intellectual component, but not the emotional component.

Reactions: Skarekrow and Ren
I always laugh at my work/stress dreams I used to have...they are bringing the patient in the room and I have no instruments...ahhhhhh!!!!!
Or...oh shit, I was supposed to be at that surgery 3 hours ago...aahhhhh!!!!
lololol

Oddly, I get these moments when I’m having a really good dream. Everything is great and then all of a sudden, the car is missing a wheel, or there’s a hole in the ground.

As for getting killed or the apocalyptic dreams...I tend to equate certain events with certain dreams I have (such as the dreams I had around the time my Dad died), and I don’t remember ever doing that with any of these, but that doesn’t mean on some subconscious level that wasn’t happening either.

According to DreamMoods.com, apocalyptic dreams have to do with a dramatic and emotional change in your life. Not sure if that applies. I think the ones where you’re killed read to me as feeling attacked, but DreamMoods suggests there is a difference between getting shot, getting stabbed, etc. You could be attacking yourself, feeling disconnected, feeling like your character was in question, etc. I do think dreams reflect our emotional state.

I love the imagery!
lol

I really wanted to paint it the next day, but was afraid it would come out all wrong.

...but rather that we're supposed to be 'in front', like a scout or a pathfinder. It might feel like we're alone, but actually people will follow behind. At that point, people really do start to appreciate and value your difference.

I don't think INFJs gravitate toward being leaders. Our most comfortable role is being neither leader nor follower. We are scouts and pathfinders only for those who seek the path. We need to be careful about stroking our egos with the "we're shamans and visionaries" concept.
That said, some incredible leaders have been pinned with INFJ labels: Gandhi, MLK Jr, Nelson Mandela may all have been INFJs (usually argued whether ENFJ or INFJ). It's possible that INFJs rise to the occasion when it is necessary.

I've never felt less solo when people follow (or copy) me. I said "solo" instead of "alone" because solo sounds like a stronger, more peaceful word, and alone sounds negative. Being copied, followed, does not mean being understood.

I don't think INFJs gravitate toward being leaders. Our most comfortable role is being neither leader nor follower. We are scouts and pathfinders only for those who seek the path. We need to be careful about stroking our egos with the "we're shamans and visionaries" concept.

I don't think that's the case. I think INFJs can tend to fall into leadership roles, and actually draw a great deal of satisfaction from them. Their form of leadership is likely to be more idea-centric and less authoritarian, however.

Your other point about ego. I honestly never really understood why the ego needs to be abased. I would have said it might be a Christian legacy, but we see it many cultures.

The unjustified fear of creating a ton on braggarts doesn't justify the systematic denial of 'self' in my opinion. People generally know how not to be dicks. The ego can be a huge source of strength, power and determination, whereas its destruction can be absolutely disastrous.

I think pride is probably a functional emotion which society has rather unwisely devalued, to the detriment of many. I saw a man reduced to a total wreck because his pride was undermined - in the end, rebuilding his ego (his sense of self worth) fixed what years of antidepressants did not.

Maybe what we're talking about is a difference of subtypes - what do you think? Maybe based on... *winces*... gender?

Reactions: Impact Character