What is the opposite of logic? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is the opposite of logic?

And now you're saying my view on things are illogical, possibly even drug induced? Well. I could say the same for your views on the subject, couldn't I? After all, that's all it is; an opinionated take on how you interpret it. And I thought Religion was about interpenetrating things for yourself? And just so I'm clear, are you religious? Because you seem to be defending it, so I took that as "I'm religious."
Not religious, just curious. Though, poor wording made it look like I was talking about you on drugs; it was the writers possibly writing about a hallucinogenic trip. What I'm saying is I think you are not seeing religion the way they intended because of poor translation, interpretation, or bias. This includes me also. I just think the magic sky wizard or invisible being the sky is a poor interpretation given the amount of resources you have to actually take the time to understand it. If you look at it like it's an abstract idea being described in concrete terms (the best way they could in their culture), it's a little less silly.

Not religious, just curious. Though, poor wording made it look like I was talking about you on drugs; it was the writers possibly writing about a hallucinogenic trip. What I'm saying is I think you are not seeing religion the way they intended because of poor translation, interpretation, or bias. This includes me also. I just think the magic sky wizard or invisible being the sky is a poor interpretation given the amount of resources you have to actually take the time to understand it. If you look at it like it's an abstract idea being described in concrete terms (the best way they could in their culture), it's a little less silly.

Ah, I see. Miscommunication is a terrible thing.....

I hear you. I think. The only problem I have, is the whole "poor translation" thing. That means every single person must have been trippy when writing the book. And if the book is supposed to be the words from God, then God himself must be a trippy being.

Reactions: Kmal
Illogic would be the proper antonym of logic.

What defines logic, which is what this thread has turned into, is a more difficult question.

Logic is a systemized study of valid reasoning. It is a meta-language of self-reference. It proposes to reason about what valid reasoning is.

You are all reasoning as of yet, because your responses are your own subjective views which lack an objective recourse, i.e. fallibility. For a topic to be considered objective, it has to introduce a correct and incorrect categorization scheme, or in the case of logic, valid and invalid reasoning. Without accepting this scheme, your responses are merely personal views neither correct nor incorrect.

We have thinking and feeling cognitive functions and a balanced person uses both

Perhaps being able to think in abstract ways while also using logic as a tool can get the most out of the human experience

Science is valid as is the vision quest as both can provide insight and can enrich the human experience. When one denies the validity of the other is when only half of the picture gets seen

[MENTION=4822]Matt3737[/MENTION] has a point, to define the opposite of logic you'd first have to define logic itself. Without such a definition, I'm going with this theory: Logic's opposite doesn't exist in the same way darkness, as an entity, doesn't exist. It's the absence of light that creates the appearance of darkness, and the "absence" of logic (or rather, proper schema by which you're defining your viewpoint) that creates illogic.

How absurd. So if I say the sky is brown when it is really blue, is that illogical? Or just a lack of logic on my part? Or, most likely; they are one in the same?

I think people are getting around the point here.

Splogic.

Nonsense. Randomness. Chaos. That which exists outside an ordered system.

Logic is just a way for people to BS other people. It doesnt even exist but in your mind. The opposite of logic is reality.

Logic is just a way for people to BS other people. It doesnt even exist but in your mind. The opposite of logic is reality.

How logical of you. ;)

Reactions: the
Irrational decisions rooted in emotional reactions, desperation, etc.

Irrational decisions rooted in emotional reactions, desperation, etc.

But who decides what's a rational decision? I may make a decision and you may not understand the reasoning behind my decision, and call my decision irrational, because you don't see my reason for making the decision as valid. But this disagreement with my reasoning doesn't necessarily make the decision invalid or irrational.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackmountainside
I have no idea what logic really is or what the opposite of logic is.

Everyone has some form of reasoning that they would consider logical and rational, normally based on what they value, prioritise or consider important. We all proitises differently and percieve differently. All perception is valid and different. Just because you dont agree with someone doesnt mean that you are logical or they are illogical. Some lines of reasoing may be healthy, others unhealthy, some based on experience, knowledge and insight and some based on the lack of these.

I suppose logic would infer a perception or line of reasoning that could be easily percieved and assimilated by others. Something that could be explained to others using culturally derived and defined signs and symbols- such as math, language or 'natural' laws. Basically logic would be something that is apperant to others, based on agreed upon natural and cultural values shared by a certain population of people. So people within that population could come be presented with the same stimulus, follow that line of reasoning and come to the same conclusion

The opposite of logic? Perhaps a perception that cannot be easily explained to others? A lack of shared cultural symbols to translate the message? A perception that is hard to translate? A peception or line of reasoning based on principles alien to your own? Reasoning that cannot be easily understood, explained or shared.

But who decides what's a rational decision? I may make a decision and you may not understand the reasoning behind my decision, and call my decision irrational, because you don't see my reason for making the decision as valid. But this disagreement with my reasoning doesn't necessarily make the decision invalid or irrational.

I don't think anyone really decides what a rational decision is... by its definition, it's a decision that was made rationally. It's not a relative term. If there's some form of reasoning involved, then it's not irrational. Others may not agree, but that's only natural.

The opposite of logic to me is irrational and insane thought. Actually both mean the same. Whenever you perspective is marred with thoughts that obscure objective thinking than logic doesn't exists. Lets say a perspective that is based on insecurities and fears which leads to presumptions, assumptions, and projections. All of those are not based on reality, but past experiences and one's own view, most likely warped of one's self. The ability to sift through what is real and what is not allows for logic. The ability to be wrong because only the truth is the agenda is indicative of a sound, reasonable, and objective mind. Therefore logic and facts are the determining factor...which is as accurate as one can get. One must see things as a whole to make a determination rather than in partial to reach the truth. Facts and figures...

I don't really think logic is something that would have an opposite, per se.Not to say there is/isn't an opposite.

Bizzaro logic.