What is the opposite of logic? | INFJ Forum

What is the opposite of logic?

illogic?

Superstition
Just because it isnt logical to you, doesnt make it not logical to them does it? I feel they perfectly equate rain dances to the rain that magically comes some time later.

That's what I was thinking. Does this exist? That seems subjectively dependent- "it wasnt logical to me, so it is illogical." I cant see how people would do something without feeling i want to do this. That seems logical for why they did it.

Reactions: Puzzlenuzzle
Fallacy

Reactions: Kmal
Just because it isnt logical to you, doesnt make it not logical to them does it? I feel they perfectly equate rain dances to the rain that magically comes some time later.

Ah, but logic is defined as the study of valid reasoning. It needs reliable inference to be considered "logic."

Existentially, it exists! Now, there is always a logical reason to use a fallacy- for one's own gain, pleasure, or ignorance. Are we bound by logic? What is logic really?

Ah, but logic is defined as the study of valid reasoning. It needs reliable inference to be considered "logic."
Logic is ever growing it seems. Is infinity logical?

That's what I was thinking. Does this exist? That seems subjectively dependent- "it wasnt logical to me, so it is illogical." I cant see how people would do something without feeling i want to do this. That seems logical for why they did it.

Yeah, there is a logic in everything. But that's different from logical reasoning as a form of thinking requiring proof or a particular method to reach a conclusion. Anyone can rationalize their thinking but whether that thinking is logical is a separate question. Although every idea has a logic, doesn't mean the idea is logical. So we should consider the different meanings of the term.

[MENTION=1669]Ame[/MENTION] Agreed, it seems I got rationalization and logic confused. I guess rationality is the fodder for logic.

Logic is the study of reasoning. The opposite of "logic" would be illogic, invalid reasoning. Invalid reasoning, seemingly, is reasoning with an amount of inconsistency - contradiction. Pitted against other reasoning, "invalid" means having more contradictions than the other thing. So, since the purity yardstick is relative, it may or not be possible (or logical) to actually prove anything, making the ideal of stainless logic contradictory itself because it is illogical to seek what cannot be had. Woohoo paradox!

Functionally (and tangentially), logic is the complement to emotion, which is essentially mankind's primary mover.

(The italicized bits are my personal musings, irrelevant to the thread's question.)

Last edited:
What's your logic for this?

The fact that I find it illogical to follow a being who's only evidence on this earth is a "holy" book written by men?

What's your logic for defying mine?

The fact that I find it illogical to follow a being who's only evidence on this earth is a "holy" book written by men?

What's your logic for defying mine?
Not sure why you're on the defensive- but who are you to say they didnt see evidence that you're misinterpreting?

Not sure why you're on the defensive- but who are you to say they didnt see evidence that you're misinterpreting?

And what specific "evidence" would you be referring to?

And what specific "evidence" would you be referring to?
None, I wasnt there. Your view of religion is illogical, not the religion itself. It's their interpretation that led some people to think of 'the magic sky wizard' or 'some being in the sky.' That's more than likely a misinterpretation unless they were on some heavy hallucinogenics (very possible). How revelations starts out always makes me think of a salvia trip or a peyote trip.

None, I wasnt there. Your view of religion is illogical, not the religion itself. It was the interpretation that led some people to think of 'the magic sky wizard' or 'some being in the sky.' That's more than likely a misinterpretation unless they were on some heavy hallucinogenics (very possible). How revelations starts out always makes me think of a salvia trip or a peyote trip.

And now you're saying my view on things are illogical, possibly even drug induced? Well. I could say the same for your views on the subject, couldn't I? After all, that's all it is; an opinionated take on how you interpret it. And I thought Religion was about interpenetrating things for yourself? And just so I'm clear, are you religious? Because you seem to be defending it, so I took that as "I'm religious."