What Is a Good Man? | Page 13 | INFJ Forum

What Is a Good Man?

Being a good man is such a broad concept. Especially if you add culture and different countries to the mix.

In other countries one would appreciate that whilst in other one couldn't care less for stature of that.

What makes a good man? He carries his weight in this world and helps where he can, in the limits of Life, of course. We all have our limits. Sometimes higher and sometimes lower.

Heck, perception might even change after a while.

Just me and my few cents.

Good is subjective for sure. The argument is already flawed.

Maybe, What is a content man, would be better? After all, what is a man doing when he goes to work and seeks companionship?
The man knows that he needs money in this god forsaken world.
The man knows that he has urges that often requires this money to achieve.
The man knows that he is happier when there is peace in his life.

Having been called a great man by a longtime friend who had joined the Masons, I think it has something to do with how one treats his fellow man. It means having a good heart.
Luke 6:45 King James Version (KJV)
45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil:

note: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Matthew 12:34
O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

May I add,

Psalm 110:4
The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

The English word prophet is a compound Greek word, from pro (in advance) and the verb phesein (to tell); thus, a προφήτης (profétés) is someone who foretells future events, and also conveys messages from the divine to humans; in a different interpretation, it means advocate or speaker.

In Hebrew, the word נָבִיא (nāvî), "spokesperson", traditionally translates as "prophet".[3] The second subdivision of the Tanakh, (Nevi'im), is devoted to the Hebrew prophets. The meaning of navi is perhaps described in Deuteronomy 18:18,[4] where God said, "...and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him." Thus, the navi was thought to be the "mouth" of God. The root nun-bet-alef("navi") is based on the two-letter root nun-bet which denotes hollowness or openness; to receive transcendental wisdom, one must make oneself "open".[5]

Was/is a prophet a good man? He has made himself to be empty and open to God's Word. He speaks from the abundance of God's heart during prophecy. His good heart made him seek and be open to God's Word. I would say God chooses whomever He will. In olden times, repentance was mentioned regularly by prophets, though not all of the time. God can then close a door that no man can open. Is God good?
17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. Though out of context, Jesus said there is none good but God. copied Matthew 19

So, Christ did not wish to be called good; He wanted His Father to be called good. Maybe a truly good, Godly man does not wish to be called good.?

I'm a good man.
Before I draft my reply, I just wanted to point out the conviction in this statement, if anyone happened to miss it. When a man like this speaks; he who lives his entire life through a matrix of 'goodness', you all need to bear witness, heathens. The good man is irrepressible.

There's a few things to disentangle in this question, though, like many have pointed out. I don't think this question should rely upon what is sexually desirable to women to inform it, or what makes good 'people' in general. Rather, I think there is definitely a 'masculine' aspect to the moral character that we're trying to parse here, and to figure out the essence of that we might have to get a bit abstract.

We could imagine that it embodies the 'active' as opposed to the 'passive' principle when considering moral action. There are active or proactive ways to be 'good'/'moral', just as there are passive or reactive ways, and this is a good start for conceiving of this.

For me, the natural conclusion to this kind of abstract reasoning about the 'masculine good' (I'm skipping a few steps here for brevity) is something like that spoken of in 'archetypal' terms: the 'father energy' or the 'divine masculine', and therefore the question becomes 'what does the archetypal "masculine good" embody'?

I think Wyote touched on this earlier in the thread when he mentioned how being a good woman is easy; a good man impossible, and I think a part of why this is the case is because the ultimate embodiment of the 'masculine good' is the archetypal Sky Father or monotheistic God. This figure is the natural conclusion and ultimate expression of what 'masculine good energy' is supposed to be, and when I say 'supposed to be', I mean it in terms of what human beings crave as a necessary component of their individual wellbeing and social function.

Looking at it this way, then, we can see that Sky Fathers are always sources of ultimate authority, which conceptually might be thought of as a combination of power and law. They envelop their realms in a protective aura of order and justice, where the people living within this aura feel safe because everything makes sense. Fairness and justice prevail because of the masculine power which orders the realm.

The 'masculine good', then, seems more aligned with 'justice' than it does with 'mercy' (which would be the 'feminine good'), and of course justice requires power (which is 'active', 'willful', &c.) whereas mercy does not (though this is arguable).

If we wanted to ask 'what makes a good man', then, we might say that it is someone who embodies the energy of 'God' (as a Sky Father) - an absolute expression of law and power, used to the end of ordering a personal kingdom in which people feel safe and fairly treated. The good man has a keen sense of his law, his rules, and is able to express these outwards into his world as a personal kingdom.

Being a 'good man' is so impossible because in this view it literally asks men to be something close to supreme gods - limitlessly powerful, infinitely orderly; ultimate embodiments of right authority. When a man carries such 'right authority', his protective aura is palpable, and people are able to feel it - I'm sure many of you have experienced this when in your own homes because of your own fathers, or in the homes of friends with good fathers when you were children: there's usually a kind man (alongside a kind woman) at the centre of these spaces that makes you feel simultaneously welcome and protected (or conversely, you may have been in households where this energy isn't there, and felt the lack). I think men lose the ability to detect this aura as we mature, because we become our own sources of it, but I'm convinced that women and children are able to feel it when it's there.

Cultivating this kind of 'right authority' I think begins, as @Pin mentioned, by first conceiving of yourself as a man; a man with responsibility to others. It requires a 'stepping up' to action, to authority, and to presence in the world. It's worth mentioning, though, that even if you achieve this state, it's quite easy to lose.

Before I draft my reply, I just wanted to point out the conviction in this statement, if anyone happened to miss it. When a man like this speaks; he who lives his entire life through a matrix of 'goodness', you all need to bear witness, heathens. The good man is irrepressible

I can't tell if you're joking or not! :neutral:

There's a few things to disentangle in this question, though, like many have pointed out. I don't think this question should rely upon what is sexually desirable to women to inform it, or what makes good 'people' in general. Rather, I think there is definitely a 'masculine' aspect to the moral character that we're trying to parse here, and to figure out the essence of that we might have to get a bit abstract.

We could imagine that it embodies the 'active' as opposed to the 'passive' principle when considering moral action. There are active or proactive ways to be 'good'/'moral', just as there are passive or reactive ways, and this is a good start for conceiving of this.

For me, the natural conclusion to this kind of abstract reasoning about the 'masculine good' (I'm skipping a few steps here for brevity) is something like that spoken of in 'archetypal' terms: the 'father energy' or the 'divine masculine', and therefore the question becomes 'what does the archetypal "masculine good" embody'?

I think Wyote touched on this earlier in the thread when he mentioned how being a good woman is easy; a good man impossible, and I think a part of why this is the case is because the ultimate embodiment of the 'masculine good' is the archetypal Sky Father or monotheistic God. This figure is the natural conclusion and ultimate expression of what 'masculine good energy' is supposed to be, and when I say 'supposed to be', I mean it in terms of what human beings crave as a necessary component of their individual wellbeing and social function.

Looking at it this way, then, we can see that Sky Fathers are always sources of ultimate authority, which conceptually might be thought of as a combination of power and law. They envelop their realms in a protective aura of order and justice, where the people living within this aura feel safe because everything makes sense. Fairness and justice prevail because of the masculine power which orders the realm.

The 'masculine good', then, seems more aligned with 'justice' than it does with 'mercy' (which would be the 'feminine good'), and of course justice requires power (which is 'active', 'willful', &c.) whereas mercy does not (though this is arguable).

If we wanted to ask 'what makes a good man', then, we might say that it is someone who embodies the energy of 'God' (as a Sky Father) - an absolute expression of law and power, used to the end of ordering a personal kingdom in which people feel safe and fairly treated. The good man has a keen sense of his law, his rules, and is able to express these outwards into his world as a personal kingdom.

Being a 'good man' is so impossible because in this view it literally asks men to be something close to supreme gods - limitlessly powerful, infinitely orderly; ultimate embodiments of right authority. When a man carries such 'right authority', his protective aura is palpable, and people are able to feel it - I'm sure many of you have experienced this when in your own homes because of your own fathers, or in the homes of friends with good fathers when you were children: there's usually a kind man (alongside a kind woman) at the centre of these spaces that makes you feel simultaneously welcome and protected (or conversely, you may have been in households where this energy isn't there, and felt the lack). I think men lose the ability to detect this aura as we mature, because we become our own sources of it, but I'm convinced that women and children are able to feel it when it's there.

Cultivating this kind of 'right authority' I think begins, as @Pin mentioned, by first conceiving of yourself as a man; a man with responsibility to others. It requires a 'stepping up' to action, to authority, and to presence in the world. It's worth mentioning, though, that even if you achieve this state, it's quite easy to lose

I like this a lot, but I didn't notice anything about tenderness, gentleness, love. For instance, I have two young daughters. I am the law (though they put up a damn good fight) and they feel safe because I've demonstrated that I will protect them. But I also know that one day I'll have to let them go to another man (or woman, it's too early to tell) Not only do they learn what a man does around the house, rules, etc they also learn the softer side of masculinity from me. Hugging, free (controlled) expression of emotions, hand holding, back rubs, 'I love you's', emotional support, sharing in whatever excites them at any particular moment, discussions of the day and life happens, comfort in vulnerability, and blah blah blah because when my babies leave me to be with another, that son of a bitch is probably going to be just like me. We good men, need to teach our young ladies self respect, respect of others, healthy boundaries, and show them how that should expect a partner to treat them. And our sons, the future good men of the world need to learn the same, but they should learn from me how to treat a woman. I should also say at this time, that my behavior or what or how I teach them these things is not because they will leave me one day, but it is a manifestation of genuine love. That they will grow up and leave is a given that they learn love is not.

I read something somewhere at some time that said, "the greatest thing a father can do for his children is love their mother." Of course there are the obvious exceptions which I learned the hard way, but more or less yes, we are to provide the model of goodness we hope to see carried on into the next generation and beyond.

That said, I didn't have a great father (or mother) model, unfortunately like so many others. The not good one's can at least inform us of what is not good then we only have to do the opposite. I guess. I don't know if I even make sense anymore. Fuck it. :grinning: