What is a God? (Part 2) | INFJ Forum

What is a God? (Part 2)

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
This is continued from another thread. I figured it'd be easier to break it down into two parts so people can discuss which bits they're interested in, because it is fairly long.

http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?p=462604#post462604

Continued!

In connecting science with belief, we begin to ask some uncomfortable questions. From a standpoint of religion, the idea that people should seek to decrease the time between having an idea and actually realizing that idea can seem very threatening if there is something in the status quo to be desired for the people in charge of said religion. It is often asked (in the context of this being an extremely bad thing) 'Should we seek to be gods?'...the answer I think is that short of creating our own universe, we will never be gods no matter how far we grow.

There will always be a period, however brief, between a concept and it's manifestation during which we have to make use of the things already within the universe. Cause and effect still applies, even if it applies in a circuitous and roundabout manner.

Another question that is asked is 'In all of this science and technology, where is room left for God?'
The question that is really being asked here is 'Is there room for religion?'. God will take care of himself/herself/itself. It is religion (not spirituality) which is under threat. To believe in the edicts of gods based on religion is to believe that people are infallible (not God). If religion is the yard stick by which God is measured, God will come up short. Severely short. A god would not be worth looking to as guidance if it were purely an icon of the religious principle.

The answer to the question of 'Is there room for religion in a scientifically focused society?' might be 'probably not in a form you recognize'. While we will likely maintain traditions these traditions may need to have purpose even if that purpose is only to make us feel better.

In general, gods have always helped us plug holes in our understanding and there are a few places where we can't really do without them. There is always the problem of 'what happens when we cease to exist'? Even as non-linear beings existing in the ephemera of space the question remains. To that end, as we explore what happens after existence we ought not discount the possibility of further experience and also of meeting beings to which we would ascribe god-hood.

Should we worship gods? This is a difficult question. Should we invest our energies in a paragon being which represents everything we would aspire to be and thereby make ourselves closer to that being?
That strikes me as a very noble pursuit. On the flip side, if it isn't the god we are worshiping but the routine/tradition/dogma for which the god is a figurehead then we can find ourselves in a very illogical loop of continuing to do things because that's 'just how things are done'.

This isn't a positive relationship with a god. That is a highly destructive relationship. If you are simply going through the routine that, at one time, made you feel better then that is addiction instead of worship.

(Before I continue, I want to get people's further input and maybe you'll give me some more ideas. )

Are you questioning the concept of faith or religion? :m075:
Note (I've only briefly skimmed over your threads, so I might of missed something that I should know about)

If anything I think I am questioning the validity of the idea of 'faith in religion'. As a whole, faith (if it is to be placed anywhere) is best placed in the most positive ideals of a god. Were religion a purely positive influence it would emphasize these things without the need to emphasize violence or retribution.

An ideal religion would operate to build people's confidence in their decisions where they reach towards the betterment of themselves and the world around them. As there are no ideal religions, the closest that is doable is the individual bettering themselves from outside the organization of religion so that the collective failings of the group don't manifest into the worship of something other than the god. Conformity, static lifestyles, and aggression are all things that worship can be turned towards as equally as a being which represents love, compassion, kindness, and tolerance.

I see God as being in possession of traits that make him more tailored to the human "Ideal" and is precieved as perfect in everyway, he in that right seems like an "idea" to me, or at least like the "Perfect Humanbeing" which leads me to believe that perhaps he is unworthy of worship for that reason.....perhaps he of a state of mind/body/soul that is evolved, but not unlike our own....but highly worth seeking to become like, rather than revering or worshiping.

I don't think we should worship a projected aspect or ideal we have of ourselves, and that being said I think it's as if we're dissociating it away from us, and attributing it some higher quality that is unobtainable, and forefeight any responsibility for our actions, and repeat the behavior because we're taught to believe that we'll never be "perfect" and so are doomed to an existence that is pardoned through Christ's Sacrifice, and God's perfection, and all-consuming love.....

I worship the qualities within us as humans that help us to come together, and unite....it's only unfortunate that it is under something that we believe is external, and superior to us....will we EVER evolve if our very reason to in the first place is pardoned/excused by God's Perfection? :m083:

Idk.....when you think about it, "God given Free-Will" whether given to us by him or not, seems to be an invitation rather than a refusal from that "Higher Realm"....ya know? :m073:

I hate to...ask this but could you rephrase that middle paragraph? It's a bit of a run-on sentence and I am afraid I didn't understand it particularly well.

Since this seems to be a popular topic lately, I'll throw my views in as well. This is how I conceive of faith and God.

Faith is a powerful thing, particularly for those who have suffered true despair or who have found their lives lacking direction. Believing in something greater than yourself can provide relief. One thing every human being in this world has in common is that we are born into this world to at least one caregiver and we rely on that person to nurture us and discipline us until we can care for ourselves. As we become adults, we realize our caregiver is flawed and imperfect and can't provide us with all the answers. The natural step is to create a perfect caregiver who can. That I think is what most people call God.

From observing this world I can believe something rather beautiful exists. I remember when the grandmother who raised me was dying that I was lost in a horrible despair. I sat by the pond in her backyard and felt like the world was coming to an end. Then a robin flew down by the pond and I suddenly just a felt a presence that made me want to fall down to my knees. Others may have experienced such a presence as a supernatural deity but to me it was a feeling of connectedness to the world. I just realized how fortunate I was to be alive and to be experiencing even that pain and to have known someone as wonderful as my grandmother. That presence just lifted the burden off my shoulders and allowed me to be at peace so that I could let my grandmother go when she died. After that experience I don't consider God to be something separate or something that judges, but rather a state of being in which we can be accepting of ourselves, others, and the world. Some people may call that self actualization or enlightenment or even kung fu, but I can perceive that presence of love and connectedness as God. When you attain it, there is no need to fear death or loss, no need for an afterlife, no need for any ego whatsoever. You are just a part of something unique and beautiful and you feel fortunate for the chance to exist and experience it.

It really is interesting from how many different perspectives this issue can come while all saying more or less the same thing. I am enjoying the differentiation.

It really is interesting from how many different perspectives this issue can come while all saying more or less the same thing. I am enjoying the differentiation.

So what are the common elements as you see them?