What happens to Frodo? | INFJ Forum

What happens to Frodo?

AUM

The Romantic Scientist
Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe I didn't get the punch line that explained this or maybe the details are found in the books but, what happens to Frodo and the rest of the gang in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King when they're leaving in the boat at the very end of the movie? I haven't seen this movie in a looong time but everytime I see it I have the same question. Do any of you know?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HlYY8tVS8k&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HlYY8tVS8k&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

They went to the Western Continent to be immortal with the elves.

They went to the Western Continent to be immortal with the elves.

So why is everyone so sad? I thought they were going to commit suicide or something since Middle Earth no longer needed of their assistance.

Samwise wasn't going. He was staying with "His Rose". The sadness came from his having to give up his lover, knowing that he'll never see him again, and frodo was sad knowing sam would grow old and die while frodo never would.

Because leavings suck for everyone leaving and those left behind :m035:

Yeah, I guess you're all right. I was here thinking that there were other reasons for their sadness. Oh well, the movie is great though!!

the movie is great though!!
Yes, truly great. It is easy to admire the various heroic themes of LOTR, but Tolkein was referencing dynamics found in real life. Allegorical battles/conquests are fine...but how many of us have the stuff to tackle their real-life counterparts. There really is something worth fighting for in this world.

I loved these movies. I have to say the first is my favorite!!

Yes, truly great. It is easy to admire the various heroic themes of LOTR, but Tolkein was referencing dynamics found in real life. Allegorical battles/conquests are fine...but how many of us have the stuff to tackle their real-life counterparts. There really is something worth fighting for in this world.

Yeah, I agree. There were times during the movie where I would get goosebumps throughout my body, especially during Aragorns's speech in the end when he bows to the hobbits. Man, that just blew me away!

I relate deeply to Frodo's experience in returning to the Shire.

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand. There is no going back. There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep. That have taken hold."

Frodo's journey lasted 13 months....mine has lasted 25 years. His was imaginary...mine is real.

Reactions: Questingpoet
I relate deeply to Frodo's experience in returning to the Shire.

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand. There is no going back. There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep. That have taken hold."

Frodo's journey lasted 13 months....mine has lasted 25 years. His was imaginary...mine is real.

Maybe you should write your own book like Frodo did.

So do you think Frodo gets to hit some immortal elf poontang?

Ha! I always wondered about this as well. I always found it an incredibly depressing scene and I kinda figured that they were going to sail away to another realm/world or something. Well, it is very sad. It's very bittersweet how they both left the Shire together in the beginning but only Sam returns. : (

Great thread!

AWW that is the saddest part in the movie, I always cry a river to that scene. I find is soo depressing too. :(
Its so sad because Frodo and Sam are best friends, like each others half's and now Frodo leaves Sam :(
It feels like Frodo knew there were better things to come for Sam and nothing for himself so he may just as well leave the world he knows...
(which symbolically reminds me of suicide) :'(

It's because Frodo is an intuitive and Sam is a sensor. It is their destiny.

The other thing is, they can't come back after they leave. It's a one way trip.

Samwise, Legolas, and Gimli all end up leaving for the western continent eventually, though.