What does being creative mean to you? | INFJ Forum

What does being creative mean to you?

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
As the title says. Just curious. Inspired by something a new friend of mine said. She seemed to have a completely different opinion of creativity than me, which was to be altruistically creative, to shift resources and exploit skills in new ways in order to help people.

My first thought when I think of being creative is art. painting, drawing, sketching, that's creativity to me, that's how I am creative. What about you?

I would agree with your definition at first thought. Using skills that you have to capture beauty that you see. However, I guess hers works also! In the sense of thinking outside the box. Interesting...

Creativity has often been used, limitedly to describe artistic efforts, when the nature of creativity extends far beyond that. Creativity, i believe, is the nature of reasoning through various possibilities to produce new or different ways of understanding and seeing the world. Problem solving requires creativity. To determine the best and possibly revolutionary way to approach a situation requires thinking of the variables involved, including the nature of the problem, people, situation, etc. and finding the best response considering all those variables. Being innovative is one way of being creative. Being resourceful is another way of being creative. Thinking outside and within the box are both examples of creativity. We simply need to expand our definition and understanding of creativity and a whole new world will open up.

Last edited:
To me, creativity is used when someone is being mentally creative; it is used when ideas are being conceived: "creativity is the fluency and originality of mental composition."

According to this definition, some artistic acts aren't creative at all, for example: drawing exactly what one sees.

According to this definition, some artistic acts aren't creative at all, for example: drawing exactly what one sees.

It depends on what you see. What you see may not be what is visibly there.

To me, creativity is used when someone is being mentally creative; it is used when ideas are being conceived: "creativity is the fluency and originality of mental composition."

i disagree, there are a million different ways you can draw exactly what you see, and no two portraits for eg. will be perfectly matched

Reactions: Gaze
It depends on what you see. What you see may not be what is visibly there.

Are you suggesting that people (can and/or tend to) subconsciously alter the data they observe as a product of creativity?

I would argue that this altering is a product of imperfect memory and memory efficiency mechanisms (it is easier on the mind to remember new data by associating it with already known data (which can distort the new data) than to memorize the new data thoroughly). Furthermore, I would argue that the initial data isn't absorbed perfectly anyway (although that point is accounted for when you said "visibly there" as opposed to "actually there").

I suppose one can observe something, put little emphasis on the details, and them jump to the interpretation of the meaning behind any patterns (this is the characteristic behaviour of Ne (Extraverted Intuiting)), but drawing what one interprets is not what I was talking about (and how is one to draw interpretations anyway?). Put it this way - I'm an Ne auxiliary, and I wouldn't be using Ne (much?) if the task were to draw "exactly what I see".

i disagree, there are a million different ways you can draw exactly what you see, and no two portraits for eg. will be perfectly matched

Yes; humans aren't perfect creatures.

I know there are different techniques to draw, sure, but these are "learnt off" by teaching or experience. If one is self-discovering a new way to draw while drawing a particular thing they are seeing, then sure, creativity is taking a part there. But after the new method is learned, the creative process stops (I suppose the method can be developed as well, but that would be the learning of a new (greater) method, would it not?).

Ok, put it this way people: there is data in your mind. There are various ways to get more data in your mind (e.g: observing things; being told/taught things; reading things). Whenever your mind creates more data out of just the data in your mind* and a secret ingredient, you are being creative (the secret ingredient is creativity).

(*= As opposed to extracting data from the universe outside your mind.

(It is also worth noting that a lot of situations are mixes of creative and non-creative activity. For example, when someone reads something, a lot of data is spoon-fed to them but other data has to be conceived inside their minds (also, more by-product (unintended/unforeseen by author) data can be conceived by the reader). The creativity required however would be significantly less than the creativity required to write the text (unless of course the reader comes up with a ton of by-product data.)

That's my understanding of it, anyway.

Creativity to me simply means exporing in an un- (or less) restrained fashion. Lots of creative ways to be creative.

Making money from my patents, which is what I do (and have done for 25 years).

Yes; humans aren't perfect creatures.

I know there are different techniques to draw, sure, but these are "learnt off" by teaching or experience. If one is self-discovering a new way to draw while drawing a particular thing they are seeing, then sure, creativity is taking a part there. But after the new method is learned, the creative process stops (I suppose the method can be developed as well, but that would be the learning of a new (greater) method, would it not?).

Ok, put it this way people: there is data in your mind. There are various ways to get more data in your mind (e.g: observing things; being told/taught things; reading things). Whenever your mind creates more data out of just the data in your mind* and a secret ingredient, you are being creative (the secret ingredient is creativity).

(*= As opposed to extracting data from the universe outside your mind.

(It is also worth noting that a lot of situations are mixes of creative and non-creative activity. For example, when someone reads something, a lot of data is spoon-fed to them but other data has to be conceived inside their minds (also, more by-product (unintended/unforeseen by author) data can be conceived by the reader). The creativity required however would be significantly less than the creativity required to write the text (unless of course the reader comes up with a ton of by-product data.)

That's my understanding of it, anyway.

oh I see what you're saying, but the data we absorb purely from the external world will automatically be interpreted by what we already know - it's like throwing a new tomato into a soup mix. the tomato will take on the flavoring of the soup, it won't be consumed "as is" - and it will be done in a way that is unique to us at that exact moment, since in no two settings will you "taste" the same tomato the same way twice. we can't learn anything without injecting an element of creativity. we're like information filters, what comes in isn't the same as what goes out, and what goes out can be radically different to what comes in - depending on our level of creativity (thickness of the filter? lol) ;)

I agree with you that creativity comes in degrees. certainly, it is MORE creative to draw a picture from scratch, rather than trying to replicate exactly what you see in real life. but it is also creative to do the latter, because the unique way you do it at that particular moment - the exact lines you make from your hand to the paper which reflect the individual forms you SEE at that time -would be an expression of your creativity, since you will never be precisely in that moment again, nor see things in precisely the same way again. the constant flux within which humans operate would color and flavor not only everything we output, but everything we input, too.

you mentioned creativity being a secret element. i'd argue against that. i think creativity is just having more & varied information in your head with which to form new information- it's like knowing more letters of the alphabet -of course you'll be able to form new words.

also your implication that if you're not drawing something exactly the same way it is due to an imperfect copy mechanism, or poorly learned techniques. again, i have a different opinion. what is a mistake? an accidental line here, an extra brushstroke there can actually make the picture look better, so how in that sense can they be mistakes? all art is subjective, no?

Creativity can be the formation of completely new ideas.

It can also be the re-interpretation of old and stale ones.

I do not believe art is creativity, only expression. Originality shines through if the method of execution is unorthodox, or if the subject is being treated in a new light.

As the title says. Just curious. Inspired by something a new friend of mine said. She seemed to have a completely different opinion of creativity than me, which was to be altruistically creative, to shift resources and exploit skills in new ways in order to help people.

My first thought when I think of being creative is art. painting, drawing, sketching, that's creativity to me, that's how I am creative. What about you?

I believe creativity is expressings one's self.
Not being bound by limitations, being innovative, reflective and exploring new possibilities.

Last edited:
I believe creativity is expressings one's self.
Not being bound by limitations, being innovative, reflective and exploring new possibilities.

this. and it means i need to get on the ball.