What do you think of SJ types? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What do you think of SJ types?

Every type has their own virtues and shortcomings. Personally, I find that when I interact with SJ's my thought process differs from theirs, making it more difficult for me to relate to them on most levels. Their groundedness and adhesion to reality is almost unnerving to me.

With ISxJ's their Si's ability to connect what's tangible and general physical awareness sharply contrasts with my obliviousness to the moment's happenings.

With ESxJ's it's different; I can more readily relate to ESFJ's through Fe. ESTJ's on the other hand have the exact opposite functions, Te Si Ne Fi. My mother for example, sometimes I find her... insufferable.

Generally I feel a lot more comfortable with SFJ types than STJ types. Granted, there are some exceptions as well as the fact that people are all individual, so when I speak I'm using very broad generalities. So long as they're nice, I like people regardless of type ^_^

This ^

My brother is an INTJ or Mastermind, which is classified as a Rational. He is calm, good problem solver, unflinchingly honest, devoted to his fiance'e, a real good guy.

Today I realized that two very good friends of mine are ESTJs. Never saw them through the MBTI glasses... there's still hope for me.

My cousin is an ESFJ and registered nurse. My long-time male friend is an ISTJ. He is friendly, would make a good teacher, likes to instruct, is concerned about correct behavior, not an attention-seeker, loves country music, likes rural surroundings, hard worker, strong Christian, speaks a second language, loyal, good sense of humor, helpful, pleasant to be around, etc. I once jokingly asked him how many dust bunnies he has under his bed, and he replied with 1 and a page-long string of 0's. I quipped back, "That's because all my dust bunnies moved in with you. "
Still, he is a real genuine good guy and I think any woman would be lucky to have him.

All people are different regardless of what their MBTI type is. I know quite a few SJ's that I get along with really well with, others, well I've had my conflicts. Any conflicts that I tend to have isn't based on an individuals personality but rather their perspective on things.
I'm not entirely sure how an SJ sees me, but from what they've told me they say that I'm determined and thoughtful. I enjoy their company as they're practical, which something I tend to lack... I can rely on them to pull me out of my head once in a while.

As a whole, I like SJ's just as much as I like every other MBTI type.

Honestly, I think the "Gaurdians" are part of humanity most preventing us growth and yet most essential to keeping our current world functional and intact. But our current world sucks- based on routine, tradition, close-mindedness, time restraints, stasis. These are all common flaws in the SJ person and world and, I mean, when the hell was the last time you saw an intelligent SJ? I've seen plenty of intelligent SP's though. ISTP, ESTP, even ESFP with IQ 130. And what the SFP's lack in mechanical intelligence they have in intrapersonal and emotional intelligence. SJ's are just stuck in the past. So IMO even though they're needed to mantain our current world, I could do without. N's and SP's for the win. But ever type has their strenghts and SJ's have clearly been chosen the best out of all by the majority.

If we had most NF's there'd be an emotional collective concious by now. If SP's we'd prob be disfunctional, but who cares? lol If NT's we'd prob be five dimensional beings.

My husband and one of my sons are both ISTJ. It was not until recently that I typed both of them and I can see clearly how they are so much alike...with the majority of the traits being very admirable.

-highly dependable and loyal
-focused on the goal and very driven until the goal is achieved.
-wants and does everything right the FIRST time (this can lead to frustration when working with an undeveloped skill)
-has to weigh in all the options before making a final decision.
-very stable and frugal with money
-very rule abiding, practices good ethics
-a natural leader
-sponge for knowledge
-both possess the "tinkering" skill. Are not afraid to take something apart and learn to put it back together.
-horrible with creative writing, better with matter-of-fact writing (if any writing at all.)
-horrible hand-writing LOL
-VERY left brained. They both have artistic ability, but it is very mechanical.
-good with conflict resolution, but only if they are in the higher position of power
-both can get very wound up or over-obsessive about a conflict (when thinking about how to find a solution)
-emotions are quite even-keeled
-will have trouble with understanding the mind/emotions of an NF
-always believes there is room for negotiation

ETA: Because I'm seeing such an emphasis from the others who feel SJ's are not intellectual ... let me assure you that is a fallacy. My son has been top dog in his class each year and super-ceded all expectations in the classroom. That is also because he has a mother and father who place high emphasis on school success and are very supportive. My husband is a very successful man, and does a job that not too many people in this forum would have the ability to do. It requires a lot of abstract, mechanical thinking ... those qualities that are very natural to him. My father-in-law (ISTJ as well) is also a very successful and well respected man (Col. in USAF, 20 yr service, was a Safety Systems Engineer on the C27J, Presidential Helicopter, the Orion and now Missiles ... that gotttdang Obama kept cutting programs.)

Intellect comes from experience, sociology and education ... think about these things before you start making assumptions.

Last edited:
Wow, [MENTION=4423]Sriracha[/MENTION]! You just described my ISTJ son perfectly, haha.

I would also say that he is very resistant to change, as the guardian type, but he's also all about efficiency.
He will change a routine to make it optimal. The only thing that bothers me is his lack of awareness of the human, emotional element.
(I also have an ENFP child; a daughter, so it's more difficult for me to determine the differences in our relationship based on type when gender is also a factor.)

I admire STJ's, although I don't get along with most of them. They are too exacting for me.
The SFJ's that I know talk a LOT about themselves and bore me with rundowns of their daily events or create drama where there is none, so I can only handle them in small doses, lol.

[MENTION=3817]dream echo[/MENTION] Yes, your additions are exactly right on! :D I think yer my new BFF! haha