What do you think of S-types? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What do you think of S-types?

When I'm feeling down, I just imagine that I'm Charlton Heston taking on the apes. Heroes always win.

I meant no more disrespect than I actually have for S types. Honesty was requested. Good, bad, or indifferent, the truth is the truth.

However, in my own offense, I have to make an elitist clarification. I have a very strong S function. It is the last function that I use, but it is stronger than most of the S types that I encounter. When I say that most S types seem to be 'unable to fully think', I am stating my perspective of being able to understand how they are coming to their conclusions, but feeling that I am leaving them behind when they are unable to understand mine. My close S type friends have rather strong N functions. Though they prefer to use their N functions after their S functions, they can understand why I think the way that I do. We respect each other's differences because we understand them, even if we don't share the preference for them.

I need to feel as if someone understands what I am expressing in order to feel a true connection with them.

Most of the S types I have met cannot understand my N deductions. While I am able to understand theirs, this leaves me feeling as if I cannot be fully understood, and therefore invalidates the possibility of true mutual respect.

However, most of the N types I have met are decidedly lacking in their S functions. I can fully understand how S types with weak N would assume that my deductions were as baseless as the N types they've encountered because from their perspective it looks like I'm going off in those directions. These N types are sometimes difficult for me to deal with from time to time, and I can certainly see the annoyance they can bring the S types, because they annoy me when they can't keep up with my S function. I'm just more forgiving of Ns than Ss, because my focus is on N deductions, but that only means I give them a little more slack, not carte blanche.

Personally, and without placing more value on either, I am less distracted by N types who can't keep up with my S than S types who can't keep up with my N. This is a personal perspective, not a statement of fact. When I am interacting with Ns with weak S, I find myself having to accommodate much less often than with Ss with weak N.

Do I care about anyone less because they can't keep up with my thought process? Of course not.

Do I respect anyone less as a human being because they cannot understand my N or S perceptions? Absolutely not.

Do I personally feel as if someone is unable to connect with me because they can't understand me? Quite often, yes.

This is my issue, not theirs. To explain, let me drop into an analogy... Expecting someone to keep up with me who simply cannot would be like expecting a couch potato to run 4 miles cross country with me and keep up. I have friends who can run with me, and even out run me. The world is full of people who I cannot keep up with. But that doesn't change the fact that I can outrun most people in this analogy. I don't ask couch potatoes to run, and get frustrated when they insist that I'm doing it wrong when I leave them behind. The S types don't want to go cross country because they can't see the benefits of working all of their muscle groups by being forced to react to variable terrain. They need a stable track. The N types don't want to run 4 miles because they can't see the value in pure cardio exercise. It's too far in one direction and bores them.

But, I don't hold it against either of them. Sometimes I have to walk with them drop my pace, stop and let them catch their breath. At that point, it's not about me, its about them. I often try to encourage them to increase their pace, but there is no real benefit for me in that workout. If I have to run on a track to accommodate my S types, I get very bored. If I have to run 2 miles cross country to accommodate my N types, I don't feel like it was as much of a work out, but at least I wasn't bored. However, I choose my running partners based on their ability to be challenged by running at a pace and on a course that challenges me. Sometimes I have the advantage of a running partner who does for me what I do for couch potatoes, but such a person is not going to be challenged by my pace and therefore not someone I can feel a bond with while I run.

Therefore, I do hold a little disrespect for couch potatoes in this analogy, but I do not blame them or judge them for it.

I know people who can run marathons on a track, but become hostile when I mention going cross country. This is very annoying to me, because these people won't even try running cross country. Most of their argument is based on the fact that the cross country runners they know don't even run, and only go a mile or so, and it's just dumb because the only thing that matters to them is a good cardio workout. Meanwhile, I share the lack of interest in going around a track over and over and over that my fellow cross country walkers have, but I can certainly see the merit in distance running at a strong pace and am willing to stay on a track from time to time to gain that benefit. If I am going to have to run at a pace that won't challenge me, I'd rather walk cross country than on a track. It is still annoying to have to ruin my own work out, but I can accept the surroundings better when I have to drop back to accommodate my cross country N types.

Ultimately, my goal is to constantly improve my cross country distance, time, and course difficulty. I'll focus on my cross country, but distance and time are a close second for me. For my S type peers, distance and time are the most important, but they see the reactive value of cross country as a close second. Together we challenge each other to improve in the areas we lack. This is the most beneficial relationship of Ns and Ss. The problem is, few Ns or Ss are capable of a good cross country pace, and most Ss won't even consider cross country. This leaves me with very few peers, and even my S peers would rather run on a static obstacle course track if they had to choose. Therefore, my core of true peers are cross country runners first and focus on distance and speed second, better known as N types with strong S functions, with a few S types with strong N functions that enjoy running with us as cross training. Because of this, we'll sometimes go run their static obstacle course and cross train with them.

Last edited:
So what your saying is that you can understand their point of view and value it, but S types can seldom reciprocate:

What's good about S types: they are good at doing things that N types aren't - society probably couldn't physically function anywhere nearly as well as it does without S types.

What's bad about S types: they don't seem to value what N types are good at nearly as much as N types can value what S types are good at.

In general: N types give give society a vision; S types build it.

In particular: N types know they need S types; S types don't need N types, as far as they are concerned.

Last edited:
The N types don't want to run 4 miles because they can't see the value in pure cardio exercise.

I realize that this is an analogy but, Von Hase, you're on! I haven't run any cross-country but I've done a 20K in 1:42.

I think that a lot of Ns would benefit from physical activity to get them out of their egocentrical intuiting. Physical activity is a great way to connect to the world. In fact, I almost feel like going for a run right now!

I feel that respect of other people is vitally important whether they are N or S. However, I have to say that I know a few ESTPs and ESFPs and for a long time I struggled to understand why they wanted to change me. I was up for it because I wanted to self improve and I was probably quite innocent.

But with discovering personality typing I've realised that they were actually quite threatened by me and so manipulated my feeling of insecurity. While I was upset when I figured this all out, I realised that that those people can only do what they're temperament dictates them to do. I have empathy for these people but I've realised I can't be with them for too long.... soo draining :p.

I do know quite a few ISFJs (including both my parents) and feel comfortable with them. I have talked to them about iNtuitive topics which they understand but there comes a point where they return to talking about everyday, concrete topics.

I think that you can be Sensory and still be great person and I hope to meet other great Sensors but so far I've had issues with wanting to and trying to stay interested in what Ss have to say.

Be honest. :D

They are gifted in ways that are different than the ways I am gifted, and if I am willing to open myself and be receptive, there exists the opportunity to be shown other aspects of what it is to be human.

Namaste,
Ian

I get along pretty good with SP types, and I probably admire them more than I do any other group of types (although I still tend to get along "better" with N types, since they're more apt to understand me). I get along with SJs least of all, especially ESxJ's, although that is not to say I dislike them or don't get along with them at all. I simply have the most trouble connecting to them, and they have the most difficulty in understanding me. ESTJs are among the hardest for me to deal with.

When sensors are at their best there really great. But I don't understand them

When sensors are at their worst the make me want to do some heavy duty sensorside. And I don't understand them on top of that.

When intuitives are at their best they are really great, plus we understand each other

When intuitives are at their worst they can be pathetic nightmares, but still we understand each other.

Hence the bias.

It is nice to feel understood when the majority of the population doesn't get you, and many of them don't feel like they need to. It can be lonely when people expect you to conform to their perspective.

I like sensors because they bring out my sensing side, it is a pleasant relief. I have many friends who are sensors and I like them a lot.

But still there is nothing like a nice warm cup of understanding of the alienation you sometimes go through when your in the minority.

S's are boring, unimaginative and conservative. Their purpose in life is doing monotonous, manual or precision-defined labour in order to free up time for Intuitive types to think and dream.

Ouch, that's harsh :B

S's are boring, unimaginative and conservative. Their purpose in life is doing monotonous, manual or precision-defined labour in order to free up time for Intuitive types to think and dream.

...and it's obvious you've been dreaming a lot!

...and it's obvious you've been dreaming a lot!

Oh, but I have. :)

And by the way, if the ISFP is an "artist," then why aren't they Intuitive? Wouldn't you be a better artist if you had a dominant imagination?

And by the way, if the ISFP is an "artist," then why aren't they Intuitive? Wouldn't you be a better artist if you had a dominant imagination?

:popcorn:

Are you serious?

If not- :thumb:

If so- WTF?!?:doh:

S's are boring, unimaginative and conservative

The most liberal people I know are SPs. Also boring is a relative term like beauty. I have fun with S's when we're out on the front porch, they're shitfaced and talking about life.

I have fun with S's at the gym. They're not boring, you think they're boring cause they do nothing that interest you personally.

And for the ISFP thing, they have intuition, there sensing has higher priority so they are more quick to produce art, in fact I'd sooner trust an ISP to produce a work of beauty then any INxEN.

Yeaaah. That wasn't necessary.

INTJs don't *have* to be assholes...they really don't.

Tertiary processes are often used in creativity and the ISFPs tertiary process is....... tada! Ni.

Well you can say the same thing in reverse.

Like how are your supposed to be a good artist if you can't draw realistically.