What do thinkers feel? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What do thinkers feel?

Thinkers can actually be very emotional. Sometimes someone who is extremely thinking will not learn the value of or the proper use of their emotions, so when they get emotional, it can get ugly.

But there really isn't different between emotions in feelers and thinkers. Feelers tend to put more emphasis on their emotions and appreciate them more; thinkers tend to put more emphasis on logic and appreciate that more. But we all feel, and we all think.

There is no better or no worse way of doing things; don't let anyone tell you otherwise. T/F are both RATIONAL functions, meaning they are both mechanics for making constructed decisions. It's just the purpose of those decisions tend to be aimed for different things.

Of course I feel, just like everyone else. It's just limited.

Last Dawn: you said everything perfect to a tee - my thinker husband does this all the time.... maybe it's why I can't take it anymore??

As to that animal thing, I don't see how animals are primarily emotional. They're primarily instinctive.

Humans have both more developped intellect and emotional systems. But it's just a matter of evolution. We're really not that different. I don't think advanced logic is more human than advanced emotional understanding.

Animals don't have advanced logic like us, but really, do they have universal empathy?

To me a lot of humans seem emotionally limited, just like a lot of them are intellectually limited.
it was a joking insult.

My gf, who is an INTJ has quite deep feelings. We all have every function in us.

MBTI is an illustration of preference and not a direct outline of who a person is or how they behave. A person's preferences will create similar thought processes among similar types but it does not forecast actions or overall behavior.

I have found many T's to be very emotional. Depending on the type and the order of functions, people will simply arrive at different points in their thinking at different times.

If a person has strong T preference then it will simply take longer for them to arrive at an angle involving F. For example, a strong T would look at a starving person and immediately think of ways to remedy the starvation while a strong F would desire to give them food. Both want to fix the problem and both are capable of thinking of solutions as well as empathizing, but the immediate reaction is different.

yes we do feel. i don't think it has so much to do with F or T, every human being is different. i do feel but i don't act on what i feel, i base my actions on logic, but i don't ignore my emotions, i rationalise and analyse them.
i know a few infjs who appear more like intjs because they shut down their feelings and won't let them get in their way. they don't know what to do with them. pretty immature.
i know intjs who are very friendly with their emotions and don't appear cold or distant at all.
it all depends on how a person learns or decides to use their dominate functions, weather they're F or T.

i know a few infjs who appear more like intjs because they shut down their feelings and won't let them get in their way. they don't know what to do with them. pretty immature.

This is pretty much me, but I don't concider myself to be immature. I am just a T wannabe if you will.

This is pretty much me, but I don't concider myself to be immature. I am just a T wannabe if you will.

i don't know you so i can't tell are you or not.
but supressing your emotions, wanting to be someone else and not being completely happy with who you are, having a hard time accepting your real self...call it anyway you like, i can't come up now with a better term than immature.

This thread is showing a common misunderstanding of the T v. F function of the MBTI. Really, the functions should be renamed because they are confusing.

The best way I've seen it described is T is true v. false whereas F is right v. wrong. Thinkers like to use "objective" criteria based on facts and figures, whereas Feelers like to use subjective criteria based on values.

This isn't to say that Feelers disregard facts and Thinkers disregard values, it's a matter of which one the person trusts more in decision making.

They feel the way we do, but to a lesser extent.

This is utterly and flatly wrong. Actually, it's a common misperception by feelers especially that Thinking types, particularly the INTJ type, comes across as "cold" and "unfeeling" since the type extroverts their thinking and introverts their feeling in regards to decision making. NOT in regards to how they actually feel inside.

My guess is that they feel but they are able to detach there feelings from there decision making.

However feelings would shape some of there behavior patterns. It affects the subconscious rather then the conscious witch will manifest itself on some behaviors

right?

My guess is that they feel but they are able to detach there feelings from there decision making.

Fs are able to detach their feelings from their decision making also, they just prefer not to.

Why would I want to make a decision without considering value and worth (subjective factors) anyway? :D

I went to the INTJ forums but I really have a hard time understanding their approach to things. It's a good place to use your head but if you say something kind of odd they eat you till no end.

I tend to think that the INTJs avoid us more for our "feeling" than we avoid them for their "thinking". They are not afraid to ban people from their forum.

The INTJ forum bothers me because they debate ideas that have no right or wrong answer. And while the opinions are interesting, I don't understand how getting all philosophical is constructive. Either you are right or you are wrong. Evolution vs Creation is a fucking terrible topic to babble about, and then INTJs are always on about these 'which came first chicken or egg' jargon.

While what I think is influenced by how I feel, I do what I think is right. This does not mean that I feel any less intensely.

When I am very tired and am forced to deal with the external world, I fall heavily back on Te. This can make me look like a robot, I guess.

Over the past few months I have been focusing more on developing my F (along with E and P) sides. Since then, I started using tarot, had my first girlfriend, I sing aloud more, and I'm more likely to accept (or at least understand) arguments based on feelings. However, the intensity of my feelings has remained constant. While I may be more receptive to my feelings, they are the same strength.

If I am less likely to be insulted by something as a T, it is because how I think about something is influenced by hard evidence. If someone says something contrary to my beliefs, it is either a valid point which must be analyzed and integrated, or it is a worthless statement with no basis or incorrect reasoning. (When people speak, I generally filter out the redundancies and worthless bits, leaving me with the valid points. Most speech has at leas t a bit of each.) An insult is either well-founded criticism or baseless accusation, which is why I am not easily offended. The only people with whom I would ever really use F to interpret their words would be my SO, very close friends, and (to a small extent) family. Their statements have the most capacity to hurt me emotionally.

But that's all interacting with the outside world. My Fe is pretty darn low. I believe my Fi, however, to be quite strong. I am much more likely to use F when dealing with internal affairs. You can see my description of my Fi in this post. Again, I think that my emotions are constant despite how I use my feelings side.

The INTJ forum bothers me because they debate ideas that have no right or wrong answer. And while the opinions are interesting, I don't understand how getting all philosophical is constructive. Either you are right or you are wrong. Evolution vs Creation is a fucking terrible topic to babble about, and then INTJs are always on about these 'which came first chicken or egg' jargon.
Hey now. What would you have us debate about? I personally spend most of my time in the Relationships and MBTI Theories sections, though I occasionally enjoy a good debate.

Last edited:
Fs are able to detach their feelings from their decision making also, they just prefer not to.

Why would I want to make a decision without considering value and worth (subjective factors) anyway? :D

Another misunderstanding. Thinkers don't not consider value and worth at all when making decisions, they just consider them less important in the decision making process than Feelers.

I tend to think that the INTJs avoid us more for our "feeling" than we avoid them for their "thinking". They are not afraid to ban people from their forum.

You're jumping to conclusions here. What does another forum's banning policy have to do with INFJ and INTJ relationships? Do you even know what the banning policy is? Further, these two facts tell us nothing about whether or not INTJs or INFJs even avoid each other at all or why if they do.

Back to the topic - MBTI speaks to decision making, not anything else. It's really a very simple test and won't tell you all about a person or how intensely they feel emotion or how logical they are.

Another misunderstanding. Thinkers don't not consider value and worth at all when making decisions, they just consider them less important in the decision making process than Feelers.

Of course, while pointing out a feelers preference it goes without saying that a thinkers tendency will be simply preference also, so no misunderstanding.

INTJs invented that debate in order to give themselves and everyone who believes them something to do while in effect achieving nothing. It is very productive, in my opinion. Its like a religion for INTJs.

You're jumping to conclusions here. What does another forum's banning policy have to do with INFJ and INTJ relationships? Do you even know what the banning policy is? Further, these two facts tell us nothing about whether or not INTJs or INFJs even avoid each other at all or why if they do.

Back to the topic - MBTI speaks to decision making, not anything else. It's really a very simple test and won't tell you all about a person or how intensely they feel emotion or how logical they are.

Ah see, now you're getting all uppity! I meant that they are much more strict on the INTJ forum than they are here. They don't like meaningless or off-topic nonsense- of which this forum tends to be primarily comprised (I blame slant).

My favorite rules from INTJ forum:
6. Post With Quality In Mind
Although there is nothing wrong with being succinct, terse, or directly to the point, we ask that you try to avoid one-lined irrelevance. Chitchat and goofing around are welcome, but try to keep it to the appropriate threads and subforums and don't bombard those users who do not wish to participate. Do not dump excessively lurid content into existing threads or create threads for that purpose. Do not post racist material anywhere on this forum.
7. Post Legibly
Please do not make posts in ALL CAPS, custom-format posts in a manner that breaks up the visual continuity of the thread, or otherwise make posts difficult for users to read. Post in English (we can not moderate other languages), use paragraphs in extensive posts, and avoid '1337 sp33k' or 'chatspeak' (substituting u for you, 2 for too, etc) altogether.
8. Use Tasteful Customizations
Offensive, disruptive, or poorly formatted usernames, custom text and avatars will be mollified or removed at the administration's discretion. Custom avatars must be 115x145 pixels without the use of transparency or space-filling borders, must not be animated, and may not contain text.

They hate the 1337 $P3@K!!!

Does personality consist wholly in decision making?