What are your biggest fears and how do you overcome them? | INFJ Forum

What are your biggest fears and how do you overcome them?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What are your biggest fears and how did or do you overcome them?

as a 6, it would be having to escape, but with no escape available and cannot, in any way.

Reactions: PeaceSeeker
Fear of big mistake (small one as well, for the sake of hinesty:), fear of pain, fear of disappointing people I love, fear of having unuseful life...

As both a 9 and an introvert: being of loss and separation and at the same time, having too many people in my life. xD

Well, I even have fear in my signature...

1) Rejection/ridicule
2) Being worthless and/or annoying
3) Failure
4) Other people
5) Abandonment

I don't think that I can ever overcome those fears because they seem to be rooted in my DNA.
But I can do my best to catch and pull myself out when those fears creep in.

Reactions: Annabreher
Fear of failure, fear of making mistakes, fear of the unknown.

Sometimes I can overcome these through simple awareness.
At other times, interest in something or annoyance at myself
for not knowing or doing something is a good push for me.

It's a constant struggle, though.

Other things I fear I simply avoid when possible. Like heights.
My philosophy is, short people are short for a reason, and belong near the ground.
That's my excuse... erm... story and I'm sticking to it!

Helplessness. There is no real way to overcome this except to make sure I have a good conscious when my head hits the pillow every night.

... oh and the garbage disposal ... don't get me started on that filthy thing.

My biggest fear is not being able to stand up for myself and not feel guilty about it. I worry that I compromise too much in a few areas and that it's allowing me to feel powerless and without control. I am fearful of being ignored because I don't express my wishes clearly; it worries me that if I do speak up, then people won't respect my wants or needs, or they will not see them as valid or important. I suspect I'll continue to struggle with this for a while. I don't care about being assertive just to make people listen. I just want to be able to state what I want or think without feeling uncomfortable, guilty, or regretful because I'm worried about what people may say or whether they'll accept it.

My biggest fear is dealing with the death of my loved ones. I can't handle loss the way others can, though I wish I could. As long as the ones I love are alive and well, my life is stable enough.

Reactions: just me
being worthless, useless, weak, and a waste.

How do i deal with them? still working on that.

I have a terrible fear of getting divorced/being left.

Reactions: rawr
I have a fear of being hurt, physically and emotionally. It's more of an overactive survival instinct, I think, and I treat it as such, mostly by basically ignoring it. I try to stay away from things that will hurt me physically, but I'm careful not to be extreme about it; I know a few cuts and bruises won't kill me. As far as emotional pain, I stay away from things that hurt me emotionally until I'm confident in my ability to rationalize the situation, then I'm fine.

I'm afraid of heights, or falling from them, but that's more under physical pain. I don't like feeling trapped either, but I'm not sure if that's an actual "fear" of mine.

Oh, and Gollum. I'm terrified of Gollum. I deal with it by shrieking slightly and/or hiding my face every time I see him.

I have had to face (and live through) many of my fears over the years so I have a certain familiarity with them. I guess lying to myself is one I am still very watchful about.

I can't tell you my biggest fear. But you overcome fears by facing them. I recently found my old Seneca book and a quote in it that I've always liked. It says that people should not fear the unknown because it would be unreasonable to worsen one's situation long before the actual threat has arrived.

I fear bees. I don't overcome them, I just avoid them.
I fear rejection and I avoid this as well. I'm trying to work on that.

best way to conquer a fear-- face it.

every time i'm afraid of something, that is reason enough to do it. fear is always there, it's what you do in the face of it.

Reactions: Gaze
Fears I have had like phobias I have just faced. Generally, if there's something wrong, I need to do something about it RIGHT NOW! I can't stand feeling like I'm in limbo or anything isn't decided or is uncertain, so I have to just plough through and get on with it. I basically just go "what am I terrified of here? Fine. Let's go do that then". And then I force myself. I guess it doesn't work straight away. You have horrible panic attacks, but you have to expect that and just keep slogging - do it again and again and again until the fear isn't there anymore. I'm a bit militant with myself, though. That way might not work for everybody. I have a bit of an army drill sergeant in my head that keeps me motivated!

Other fears that are less tangible I have problems with because there isn't a very obvious solution that I can just do. Like being afraid that I'm different or will be completely rejected from society. I worry that I will eventually turn out to be so subhuman that I will have to become a hermit and live the rest of my life in misery. It's a stupid fear, but I guess that fear is yeah: Abandonment, rejection, being different. There's also things like making mistakes - I can't' bear to make mistakes, being in control and finding out there's something I don't know about myself. CONTROL!

I used to be afraid of being alone as a child, nowadays though I'm afraid to be in the center of anything. I cannot stand crowds and have anxiety for heavy traffic. I deal with it by avoiding most of it and going with the route of least resistance.

Reactions: Gaze
I was pretty shy kid so I almost felt like dying every time I had to talk infront of my class mates/strangers. Things got harder in highschool so I decided to do something about it. I volunteered at my church to give 5 minute talks infront of a couple hundred people. Doing that helped me tremedously. So I decided to stick with it up until this day. If I meet the requirements I'll be granted 35 minutes to talk about specific topics such as world conditions, hope for the future and all that good stuff.

I have other fears like mosquitos but I can handle those with my fists.....