VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
www.wizards.com/dnd/class/index.asp

Avenger.jpg

"Everything my god needs to say to you can be said with my weapon."

In secret temples far from bustling cities and priestly hierarchies, orders of esoteric warriors train their initiates in ancient traditions now forgotten or forbidden by most religious organizations. The champions of these orders are avengers—deadly weapons in the hands of their gods, imbued with divine power through secret rites of initiation. In battle, avengers swear to execute divine vengeance, entering a mental state that gives them unerring focus on a single enemy.

As an avenger, you were trained in a monastery, initiated through secret rites, and imbued with the power to smite your god's foes. You might be a disciple of Ioun, sworn to hunt and exterminate the minions of Vecna until you one day face the Maimed God. You could be an agent of the Raven Queen, bringing death to those who would defy your mistress. Or perhaps you serve Bahamut as an agent of justice, bringing ruin to tyrants and oppressors. The organizations devoted to your god might view you as a heretic or a hero, but you answer only to your god and to the vows you swore upon your initiation as an avenger.

Where will those vows lead you? One thing is certain: Doing the will of your god is never easy and never free of peril.

Avenger.jpg

One answer of difference...

Paladin.jpg

"I am the righteous shield of Moradin and a sword in his mighty hand! I fear no evil!"

Paladins are indomitable warriors who've pledged their prowess to something greater than themselves. Paladins smite enemies with divine authority, bolster the courage of nearby companions, and radiate as if a beacon of inextinguishable hope. Paladins are transfigured on the field of battle, exemplars of divine ethos in action.

To you is given the responsibility to unflinchingly stand before an enemy's charge, smiting them with your sword while protecting your allies with your sacrifice. Where others waver and wonder, your motivation is pure and simple, and your devotion is your strength. Where others scheme and steal, you take the high road, refusing to allow the illusions of temptation to dissuade you from your obligations.

Take up your blessed sword and sanctified shield, brave warrior, and charge forward to hallowed glory!

Paladin.jpg

This is no surprise, since I have always wanted to play a character that is a mix of these two classes. I always loved the Paladins' spiritual approach to being a warrior, powered by their holy deeds, but I always wanted to play more of a martial artist type of Paladin. However, I think the Avenger is a little too fanatical and violent for my liking. Maybe I'll tinker with the Avenger class a little and see if I can't come up with something interesting... like an Avenger who will never use injuring force (subdual damage) on non-evil targets, and will only use lethal force on targets that are undead, demons, etc. Hmmm... yeah... I think I'm on a tangent here...

Last edited:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/class/index.asp

Wizard

"I am the fire that burns, the choking fog, the storm that rains devastation on our foes."

Wizards are scions of arcane magic. Wizards tap the true power that permeates the cosmos, research esoteric rituals that can alter time and space, and hurl balls of fire that incinerate massed foes. Wizards wield spells the way warriors brandish swords.

Magic lured you into its grasp, and now you seek to master it in turn. You could be a bespectacled sage searching for dusty tomes in forgotten sepulchers, a scarred war mage plying foes with fireballs and foul language in equal measure, a disgruntled apprentice who absconded with your master's spellbooks, an eladrin upholding the magical tradition of your race, or even a power-hungry student of magic who might do anything to learn a new spell.

A cloak of spells enfolds you, ancient rituals bolster your senses, and runed implements of your craft hang from your belt. Effervescing arcane lore pulses through your consciousness, a constant pressure craving release. When will you know enough magic to storm the ramparts of reality itself?

Last edited:
Cleric.jpg

"Have courage, my friends! Pelor favors us today!"Clerics are battle leaders who are invested with divine power. They blast foes with magical prayers, bolster and heal companions, and lead the way to victory with a mace in one hand and a holy symbol in the other. Clerics run the gamut from humble servants of the common folk to ruthless enforcers of evil gods.
As a cleric, the deity (or deities) you choose to revere goes a long way toward defining you, or at least how other people in the world see you. You could be a platinum-garbed envoy of Bahamut seeking justice throughout the land, a shadowy follower of Sehanine with a roguish streak, a burly disciple of Kord who believes the virtue of strength is sufficient for all challenges, or a dwarf cleric of Moradin bringing honor to the denizens of your mountain home.
Will you protect what is sacred to your god, quest for legendary holy artifacts, pursue a life of evangelical adventuring, or attempt all these deeds and more?

http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/database.aspx?searchterm=Cleric

Last edited:
Ranger.jpg

Rangers are watchful warriors who roam past the horizon to safeguard a region, a principle, or a way of life. Masters of bow and blade, rangers excel at hit-and-run assaults and can quickly and silently eliminate foes. Rangers lay superb ambushes and excel at avoiding danger.

As a ranger, you possess almost supernaturally keen senses and a deep appreciation for untamed wilderness. With your knowledge of the natural world, you are able to track enemies through nearly any landscape, using the smallest clue to set your course, even sometimes the calls and songs of beasts and birds. Your severe demeanor promises a deadly conclusion to any enemy you hunt.

When you catch sight of your quarry, will the transgressor perish by swift bow shots from a distance, or by the twofold blades that glint and glitter in each of your battle-scarred hands?

Wizard.jpg

Wizard.jpg

"I am the fire that burns, the choking fog, the storm that rains devastation on our foes."

Wizards are scions of arcane magic. Wizards tap the true power that permeates the cosmos, research esoteric rituals that can alter time and space, and hurl balls of fire that incinerate massed foes. Wizards wield spells the way warriors brandish swords.

Magic lured you into its grasp, and now you seek to master it in turn. You could be a bespectacled sage searching for dusty tomes in forgotten sepulchers, a scarred war mage plying foes with fireballs and foul language in equal measure, a disgruntled apprentice who absconded with your master's spellbooks, an eladrin upholding the magical tradition of your race, or even a power-hungry student of magic who might do anything to learn a new spell.

A cloak of spells enfolds you, ancient rituals bolster your senses, and runed implements of your craft hang from your belt. Effervescing arcane lore pulses through your consciousness, a constant pressure craving release. When will you know enough magic to storm the ramparts of reality itself?

cheers,
Ian

Artificer.jpg

Artificers treat mastery of magic like a tech

FUN!

Aw, I miss rping now. Maybe when I get back, we really should see about getting a group together from the forums for a text-based roleplay.

Warden.jpg

"Get past me? You might as well try to push the mountains aside."
As mountains stand fast against the buffeting wind and trees bend but do not break in the storm, wardens are stalwart protectors who draw on the primal spirits of nature to defend the natural world from those who would corrupt or destroy it. Some wardens use the power of earth and stone to shield their allies from harm, whereas others summon the primal strength within themselves to increase their ferocity and tenacity.

As a warden, you might be the staunch defender of a tribe, chosen by the spirits to be your people's champion. Perhaps you were visited by spirits at a sacred grove and charged with protecting it against a spreading corruption. You might have been raised by a bear or nurtured by dryads, chosen from infancy to stand fast against nature's enemies.

Primal power waits in the ground beneath your feet, surges with every beat of your heart, and flows through your lungs with every breath. The world cries out to you, calling for a champion to defend it. Will you heed its call?

Warden.jpg

Sounds pretty bad-ass. I like.

Last edited:

"The spirits surround us, guide us, and hold all the knowledge of the world."
Shamans are inspiring and dangerous battle leaders. They command powerful spirit guides, and through them lead their allies. These nature spirits bolster their allies' attacks and offer protection and healing when needed.

In a rite of passage or initiation, you pledged yourself to the spirits, to be their voice and hands in the world. Through ancient song and sacred ceremony, you have called a powerful spirit companion to your side. The primal spirits of nature affirm your will, guide the actions of your allies, and deal mighty attacks against your foes. You might be a venerable advisor to a tribal leader, a young traveler seeking to bring tales of a wider world back to your people, or a scholar devoted to the pursuit of nearly forgotten lore.

The spirits and voices of nature guide your every step. Their power flows through you, calling you to lead, to fight, and to triumph.

*raises eyebrow*

Call me crazy but... reading through a lot of these, based on what I know about each of these members, I think that the classes they've been matched up with actually fit. Or at least I can see them waving around a character sheet like that.

My inner D&D geek says hello, btw. :)

Last edited:
*raises eyebrow*

Call me crazy but... reading through a lot of these, based on what I know about each of these members, I think that the classes they've been matched up with actually fit.
So you were raised by a bear? I knew it!

Warden.jpg

Sounds pretty bad-ass. I like.

I ran a 4th Ed game for going on two years now. We had a guy come in midway with a Warden, and they are ridiculously good at tanking. They are extremely hard to put down.

As a min/maxing note, choose Longtooth Shifter as your race if you decide to play one. In addition to the Warden's regeneration abilities, they get a racial regeneration ability.

So you were raised by a bear? I knew it!

Of course you knew it, Mr. Shaman. You and papa bear would sit around smoking a spirit pipe on Saturdays.

Reactions: bamf
I ran a 4th Ed game for going on two years now. We had a guy come in midway with a Warden, and they are ridiculously good at tanking. They are extremely hard to put down.

As a min/maxing note, choose Longtooth Shifter as your race if you decide to play one. In addition to the Warden's regeneration abilities, they get a racial regeneration ability.

I still desperately cling to 3E. I had a really tough time when 3.5 came out; I'm really set in my ways and I hate the nit pickity rules when I'm creating my own classes. I wonder how I'll do if I ever do get around to playing a 4E game.

And I've never seen this race before. Damn, that's even more badass.

We'll have to play someday, VH. But if we're doing a 4E, I won't be DMing.

I still desperately cling to 3E. I had a really tough time when 3.5 came out; I'm really set in my ways and I hate the nit pickity rules when I'm creating my own classes. I wonder how I'll do if I ever do get around to playing a 4E game.

4th Ed is an amazing system. It's extremely streamlined and a lot of fun at the table. I could get into a lengthy explanation as to why, but the easiest answer is from the moment I read the 4th Edition rules, I've never even considered looking back. It only took one gaming session to convince my friends not to want to look back.

I've tinkered with the system a lot, as it really lends itself to creativity.

And I've never seen this race before. Damn, that's even more badass.

Yeah, there is a lot of creativity already in the game. Every race has a really solid special ability.

We'll have to play someday, VH. But if we're doing a 4E, I won't be DMing.

No problem. I'd be glad to run something for you when you come down to check out our law school. ;-)

...or however we can end up playing.

Invoker.jpg

Invoker.jpg

"The only thing stronger than my faith is the fire I use to burn away those who stand against the will of the gods."

At the dawn of time, the gods who inhabited the Astral Sea warred with the primordials of the Elemental Chaos, the mighty beings who shaped the world out of formless void. The greatest of the gods' mortal agents in that war were invokers, imbued with a fragment of the gods' own might to fight alongside them. No other mortal servant of the gods can claim the same kind of power. Through rites of investiture, avengers, clerics, and paladins gain the ability to manifest echoes of that power, uttering careful prayers and channeling divine energy through their holy symbols. You, however, channel your god's power directly. No mere symbol can contain it, for you speak the words of creation, shaping the universe to your and your god's will.

Perhaps you were trained in a secret monastery, or you studied in a library where the universe's oldest lore was preserved. Or perhaps you experienced the presence of your god firsthand and took a shard of divine power into yourself. You might even be an immortal born into flesh, slowly awakening to the awesome divine power that is your birthright. Whatever your past, you are among the gods' most trusted servants, bound to a covenant in which you swore to use divine power with great care. To what end will you wield that might?

Sorcerer.jpg

The sorcerer is the arcane antithesis of the wizard. Wielding raw, barely contained magical power, sorcerers channel bursts and blasts of arcane energy through their bodies. They gain their power not through rigorous study of esoteric tomes, but by harnessing magic in their blood, waiting to be tapped and shaped. If wizards wield magic as fighters wield swords, a sorcerer's magic is the arcing greataxe of a raging barbarian.
You might be a proud dragonborn scion of ancient Arkhosia, calling on the draconic power of your heritage, or perhaps you were bathed in dragon blood as an infant to fill you with that power. You might have been born in a place where planar forces converged in strange eddies, infusing you with chaos, or perhaps you survived implantation of a slaad embryo, which left the taint of chaos upon you.
Magic pulses through your veins, calling on you to give it expression. As it grows ever stronger, will it consume you or transform you into magic incarnate?

Invoker.jpg

"The only thing stronger than my faith is the fire I use to burn away those who stand against the will of the gods."At the dawn of time, the gods who inhabited the Astral Sea warred with the primordials of the Elemental Chaos, the mighty beings who shaped the world out of formless void. The greatest of the gods' mortal agents in that war were invokers, imbued with a fragment of the gods' own might to fight alongside them. No other mortal servant of the gods can claim the same kind of power. Through rites of investiture, avengers, clerics, and paladins gain the ability to manifest echoes of that power, uttering careful prayers and channeling divine energy through their holy symbols. You, however, channel your god's power directly. No mere symbol can contain it, for you speak the words of creation, shaping the universe to your and your god's will.
Perhaps you were trained in a secret monastery, or you studied in a library where the universe's oldest lore was preserved. Or perhaps you experienced the presence of your god firsthand and took a shard of divine power into yourself. You might even be an immortal born into flesh, slowly awakening to the awesome divine power that is your birthright. Whatever your past, you are among the gods' most trusted servants, bound to a covenant in which you swore to use divine power with great care. To what end will you wield that might?

"Everything my god needs to say to you can be said with my weapon."
In secret temples far from bustling cities and priestly hierarchies, orders of esoteric warriors train their initiates in ancient traditions now forgotten or forbidden by most religious organizations. The champions of these orders are avengers