What 4th Ed D&D Class Are You? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What 4th Ed D&D Class Are You?

Me gots Artificier :)

The new edition looks interesting. I could join for an online gaming session with my fellow infjs though I've never done it before in pen&paper way.

Invoker.jpg

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

No surprises there.

"Onward to victory! They cannot stand before us!" Warlords are accomplished and competent battle leaders. Warlords stand on the front line issuing commands and bolstering their allies while leading the battle with weapon in hand. Warlords know how to rally a team to win a fight.
Your ability to lead others to victory is a direct result of your history. You could be a minor warchief looking to make a name for yourself, a pious knight-commander on leave from your militant order, a youthful noble eager to apply years of training to life outside the castle walls, a calculating mercenary captain, or a courageous marshal of the borderlands who fights to protect the frontier. Regardless of your background, you are a skillful warrior with an uncanny gift for leadership.
The weight of your armor is not a hindrance; it is a familiar comfort. The worn weapon grip molds to your hand as if it were a natural extension of your arm. It's time to fight and to lead.

Dang I wanna take this again, I'm not really a Rogue guy. Do they have Monks yet in edition 4? I've still been clinging to 3/3.5 too, the 4th edition seemed kind of dumbed down and unnatural to me at first glance, but I'd really like to give it a chance. You'll have to give that lengthy explanation sometime Von Hase, I'd like to hear it. Or better yet just try it, I'm definitely down if there's some way we can run a game online.

Do they have Monks yet in edition 4?

From what I have read, no, there are no Monks in 4th Edition yet. However, there is a profoundly cool and effective new class called Avenger that is sort of like a Divine Assassin meets Jedi meets Monk. If you were going to 'convert' a previous edition Monk, I would highly suggest that class.

I've still been clinging to 3/3.5 too, the 4th edition seemed kind of dumbed down and unnatural to me at first glance, but I'd really like to give it a chance. You'll have to give that lengthy explanation sometime Von Hase, I'd like to hear it.

4th Edition is extremely streamlined and simplified.

If you're coming at it from 3.0 / 3.5, it will take some time to wrap your head around the paradigm shift, but once you do, you'll never want to look back. Promise.

Here are some points to get you started in understanding the new rules...

Hit Points DO NOT represent your ability to take damage. They now represent your ability to AVOID injury - by dodging, weaving, seeing it coming, blocking, defense spells, luck, etc. Hit Points now represent your character's skill, stamina, morale, and prowess. This is important to understand, because MANY classes have the ability to restore Hit Points instantly, by a variety of means. For example, the Warlord restores Hit Points by Inspiring his allies to advantageous tactics, while the Bard restores Hit Points by increasing and restoring morale.

When a character has no Hit Points to avoid injury, they are then injured or wounded when they are hit. This comes into play by the fact that 'Minions' (aka mooks, grunts, nameless peons, etc.) have no Hit Points. If you hit them, they're done. Non-heroic NPCs generally have no Hit Points, and their ability to defend themselves is represented solely by their Defense scores.

That should get your mind opened enough to absorb the rest of the 4th Edition rules. I would highly suggest you read them. It's a fine product, and this is someone who's been playing since the first boxed sets in the 70s.

From what I have read, no, there are no Monks in 4th Edition yet. However, there is a profoundly cool and effective new class called Avenger that is sort of like a Divine Assassin meets Jedi meets Monk. If you were going to 'convert' a previous edition Monk, I would highly suggest that class.

4th Edition is extremely streamlined and simplified.

If you're coming at it from 3.0 / 3.5, it will take some time to wrap your head around the paradigm shift, but once you do, you'll never want to look back. Promise.

Here are some points to get you started in understanding the new rules...

Hit Points DO NOT represent your ability to take damage. They now represent your ability to AVOID injury - by dodging, weaving, seeing it coming, blocking, defense spells, luck, etc. Hit Points now represent your character's skill, stamina, morale, and prowess. This is important to understand, because MANY classes have the ability to restore Hit Points instantly, by a variety of means. For example, the Warlord restores Hit Points by Inspiring his allies to advantageous tactics, while the Bard restores Hit Points by increasing and restoring morale.

When a character has no Hit Points to avoid injury, they are then injured or wounded when they are hit. This comes into play by the fact that 'Minions' (aka mooks, grunts, nameless peons, etc.) have no Hit Points. If you hit them, they're done. Non-heroic NPCs generally have no Hit Points, and their ability to defend themselves is represented solely by their Defense scores.

That should get your mind opened enough to absorb the rest of the 4th Edition rules. I would highly suggest you read them. It's a fine product, and this is someone who's been playing since the first boxed sets in the 70s.

Not true, there are Monks, Psions, and Battleminds.