Weird cognitive functions results | Page 11 | INFJ Forum

Weird cognitive functions results

To add to the confusion, my friend typed me as an ENFJ last night which makes sense to me

The thing is, ENFJ 549 makes no sense. It's impossible, basically.

You're not an ENFJ, slant, I'm sorry to have to tell you that but it's obvious. I'm sure your friend understands you but she must misunderstand the ENFJ type.

I would question why it really matters so much to pin down ones type. It's a theory, not a science. And it will never give you definitive insight into who you are. There will likely always be aspects of your type that you don't agree with. Because it's just a category and people aren't so easily defined that way.

Such an INFP way of looking at the matter! :p

Kidding, I agree. Great avi, by the way.

@acd I'm trying to find my identity right now it's a very confusing time and I'm trying to understand why others are interpreting me in different ways and why my internal sense doesn't seem to match up with external interpretations
People here only catch a glimpse of who you are as you are on this forum. We could be right. We could be wrong. Your friends offline could also be right or wrong depending on what aspects of yourself you show or don't show.

And either way, we tend to accept what we agree with or what we want from ourselves, not what someone's perception or interpretation of us is if it differs from our own. Be who you want to be.

The thing is, ENFJ 549 makes no sense. It's impossible, basically.

You're not an ENFJ, slant, I'm sorry to have to tell you that but it's obvious. I'm sure your friend understands you but she must misunderstand the ENFJ type.

Such an INFP way of looking at the matter! :p

Kidding, I agree. Great avi, by the way.
What types would have that enneagram

What types would have that enneagram

Well, for example @dragulagu is a 549 (correct me if I'm wrong, dragu). So is @John K. In fact, @Wyote is also of that tritype, albeit in a different 'order'.

It seems to correlate with INFJ and INTJ a lot, but I'd say it can correlate with INFP too. It's not an extroverted tritype.

Well, for example @dragulagu is a 549 (correct me if I'm wrong, dragu). So is @John K. In fact, @Wyote is also of that tritype, albeit in a different 'order'.

It seems to correlate with INFJ and INTJ a lot, but I'd say it can correlate with INFP too. It's not an extroverted tritype.
Make sense. I've tested infj, intj and infp before so it is in line.

Infp fits I just get all thrown off when people say different things to me

Make sense. I've tested infj, intj and infp before so it is in line.

Infp fits I just get all thrown off when people say different things to me
I've got a few pages to catch up so sorry if this has already been covered.

When I was hunting around for my best fit type I found this approach was very helpful. I read about the behaviours that go with the dynamics of a type I was drawn to in a respected source - a reliable book or web site. I noted the interactions between the primary and secondary functions as well as the way the type is described in the round. Then I tried behaving like that type, consciously and deliberately - wore it for a bit just as you might try a new outfit.

Particularly if it's different to the type you have thought yourself to be before, it may feel strange - it's quite possible for our preferred functions to be displaced so that they feel odd if we've been mistyped for a length of time. It's also possible that you haven't had a clear idea of what these functions actually feel like - I was pretty clueless about Ni from the descriptions until I experimented with it, then found I'd always been using it but hadn't connected the name with the inner experience before. If you have picked a good fit, then after a while you will find that you feel at home with it, and it will seem to align well with your energy - you will be able to relax while behaving like that. If it isn't a good fit then you will become very tired and a little stressed while keeping it up, and find that you need to wind down by changing to a different sort of behaviour - in fact you will find your behaviour slipping away from it. Be a little careful with this because our secondary always takes some conscious effort and can be tiring too, but it feels ready to hand, and good, and brings energy as well as taking it.

Don't get too serious about this if you try it. Use the sort of attitude you take with you on holiday to a place you haven't visited before - fun, exciting, some effort, interesting. Keep a good sense of humour close by too ....

My feeling is that if you try out a type and it fits you comfortably over a period of weeks and months, then you have found your best match. You will have the inner confidence that comes with this that means you won't get de-railed easily by others' opinions - they will be interesting, but won't threaten your sense of who you are.

I've got a few pages to catch up so sorry if this has already been covered.

When I was hunting around for my best fit type I found this approach was very helpful. I read about the behaviours that go with the dynamics of a type I was drawn to in a respected source - a reliable book or web site. I noted the interactions between the primary and secondary functions as well as the way the type is described in the round. Then I tried behaving like that type, consciously and deliberately - wore it for a bit just as you might try a new outfit.

Particularly if it's different to the type you have thought yourself to be before, it may feel strange - it's quite possible for our preferred functions to be displaced so that they feel odd if we've been mistyped for a length of time. It's also possible that you haven't had a clear idea of what these functions actually feel like - I was pretty clueless about Ni from the descriptions until I experimented with it, then found I'd always been using it but hadn't connected the name with the inner experience before. If you have picked a good fit, then after a while you will find that you feel at home with it, and it will seem to align well with your energy - you will be able to relax while behaving like that. If it isn't a good fit then you will become very tired and a little stressed while keeping it up, and find that you need to wind down by changing to a different sort of behaviour - in fact you will find your behaviour slipping away from it. Be a little careful with this because our secondary always takes some conscious effort and can be tiring too, but it feels ready to hand, and good, and brings energy as well as taking it.

Don't get too serious about this if you try it. Use the sort of attitude you take with you on holiday to a place you haven't visited before - fun, exciting, some effort, interesting. Keep a good sense of humour close by too ....

My feeling is that if you try out a type and it fits you comfortably over a period of weeks and months, then you have found your best match. You will have the inner confidence that comes with this that means you won't get de-railed easily by others' opinions - they will be interesting, but won't threaten your sense of who you are.
This is a really cool idea

If my sense of identity paid any attention to conflicts of how some people interpret me vs how I interpret myself... Reckon I'd identify as a duck. Just sort of floating along, quacking every now and then then going batshit crazy for bread

Besides, maybe I'm thinking of this a bit too simply but if you're so confused about your identity why do you seem so intent about boxing it into one method of (rather generally) describing yourself? I get it's the foundation of this forum and many put great stock into it but it's not like it even gives off the attitude "You live MBTI or you die". Rather overcomplicates something already complicated enough

If my sense of identity paid any attention to conflicts of how some people interpret me vs how I interpret myself... Reckon I'd identify as a duck. Just sort of floating along, quacking every now and then then going batshit crazy for bread

Besides, maybe I'm thinking of this a bit too simply but if you're so confused about your identity why do you seem so intent about boxing it into one method of (rather generally) describing yourself? I get it's the foundation of this forum and many put great stock into it but it's not like it even gives off the attitude "You live MBTI or you die". Rather overcomplicates something already complicated enough

Like I get that it's not real. I understand that. But it's frustrating that I can't just have one answer and everyone agrees on it and it's settled. I just want things settled. I really hate ambiguity.

Like I get that it's not real. I understand that. But it's frustrating that I can't just have one answer and everyone agrees on it and it's settled. I just want things settled. I really hate ambiguity.

I think you put far too much stock in the beliefs another has on you. If you rely too much on defining yourself by a consensus more so than your own discovery of your self, however slow or painful, then you - to put it crudely - sort of lose the 'i' in identity

One does not find themselves based on the interpretations someone has on your character, otherwise there will always be ambiguity that perplexes. It is found through meditation and a realisation of yourself. As much as I've been inspired by the insights and intellects of so many on this forum, I'm afraid no one will be able to give you the answer you seek.
21cxxr8pyno1.gif

FYI I've not read all of the thread so I don't know if someone's said this already or not so rip if they have JuSt TrYiNg To HeLp

I think you put far too much stock in the beliefs another has on you. If you rely too much on defining yourself by a consensus more so than your own discovery of your self, however slow or painful, then you - to put it crudely - sort of lose the 'i' in identity

One does not find themselves based on the interpretations someone has on your character, otherwise there will always be ambiguity that perplexes. It is found through meditation and a realisation of yourself. As much as I've been inspired by the insights and intellects of so many on this forum, I'm afraid no one will be able to give you the answer you seek.
21cxxr8pyno1.gif

FYI I've not read all of the thread so I don't know if someone's said this already or not so rip if they have JuSt TrYiNg To HeLp

I understand that. My childhood was extremely traumatic and put me in a position where only other people mattered and I was not allowed to have my own beliefs and feelings.

Over the past year I've been able to break free from a lot of that but because of how severe the abuse was I believe I will always struggle with this.

In terms of being able to have a stable inner self that I trust over others, at the rate I'm going it will probably take 4 more years of working on it to be "average" with it.

I understand that. My childhood was extremely traumatic and put me in a position where only other people mattered and I was not allowed to have my own beliefs and feelings.

Over the past year I've been able to break free from a lot of that but because of how severe the abuse was I believe I will always struggle with this.

In terms of being able to have a stable inner self that I trust over others, at the rate I'm going it will probably take 4 more years of working on it to be "average" with it.

Ah I'm sorry to hear about that, I have a decent grasp now on why this is so fraught with conflict now. It's good to hear you're able to relinquish to an extent the effects of that period and I have faith you will one day be able to fully overcome it. I suppose the main thing is recognising that there is an abundance of time, and no rush for enlightenment but you seem to realise that with the time period you've placed. I'm sure though with the determination you have for finding yourself, it will happen a lot sooner than you anticipate

@Wyote please close this thread.

Thanks
If you need help on typing yourself, I could help. Sorry for posting on the thread you asked to be closed at.

I already some sort of made sense of most 'weird cognitive function test results', but my alternative approaches arent much popular.

The most basic question you should ask is whether you are an Introvert or an Extrovert ( functional stack problem comes later). And to answer that question you should try to analyze your childhood and resent past; and should not go through any test to determine that; It might bring confusion!

Both ENFPs and INFPs have Ne and Fi up in the functional stack. You are young, possibly going through type development stage, where Ne, as an auxiliary function, (if you're an INFP) is starting to develop and it feels quite refreshing for a change, which makes you question: have I been fake? Plus, you should be aware of this too: ENFPs are like the introverts of the extroverts, so it could be confusing to determine.

Answer the following sample questions I have created for you (and remember: choices are mutually exclusive; choosing one will require you to let go of the other forever!)

1. Forever Alone Vs always Social?
2. Feelings are the most universal, fundamental thing that binds people? (Yes/No)
3. Creative, unique expressions are just output of universal, fundamental feelings? (Yes/No)
4. Social norms Vs personal moral codes (could be conflicting with the present social norms)?
5. Choose: Brainstorming ideas with others Vs totally immersed in own feelings. What comes more naturally to you?
6. Could you defy the law (or secretly want to), if it conflicts with your feeling-laden personal values? (Yes/No)
7. Sitting silently for hours, ruminating over feelings, doesn't scare you. (Yes/No)
8. When you are reading novels, what are you doing unconsciously and automatically: Trying to evaluate the emotional depth Vs appreciating unique creative expressions and ideas of the writer?

After answering few questions like these, you could reach the conclusion:
INFP: 1. Alone 2. Yes 3. Yes 4. personal code 5. immersed in own feeling 6. Yes 7. Yes 8. emotional depth.

And the reason behind deriving emotional satisfaction from following a routine is different. I have an Astrological explanation for that: crowding of planets in 6th house (routine, time management, maintenance work, personal care, health, fitness) of the birth chart could make to do that or having many planets in Virgo sign. It could happen to any one--ENFP or INFP.

Hope it helps!

Reactions: flower and slant