Was Jesus a plagarist? | INFJ Forum

Was Jesus a plagarist?

Aug 27, 2009
MBTI
ENTP
Do you think there was any chance Jesus or writers of the new testament copied buddhist ideas that pre-dated Christ by 500 years? Because of the silk road, there actually were buddhist missions in both Rome and Ancient Greece.

Here are some of the similarities; they seem far to exact to be a coincidence.

Saint Jerome (4th century CE) mentions the birth of the Buddha, who he says "was born from the side of a virgin" the Buddha was, according to Buddhist tradition, born from the hip of his virgin mother.

[] Both Jesus and Siddartha deserted their families to seek their truths.

[]The palm-tree bends down to Mary as the Asoka tree to Yashodara.

[] The story of Simeon, the accounts of the bright light being almost word for word the same as in the earlier buddhist text

[] The idol bending down to the infant Jesus.

[] The miracle of the sparrows restored to life.

[] Both stayed in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights and were tempted by evil, Jesus by Satan and Buddha by the demon Mara and his daughters.

Buddha: "The faults of others are easier to see than one's own."
Jesus: "Why do you see the splinter in someone else's eye and never notice the log in your own?"

Buddha: "The avaricious do not go to heaven, the foolish to not extol charity. The wise one, however, rejoicing in charity, becomes thereby happy in the beyond." (Dhammapada 13.11)
Jesus: "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven." (Matthew 19.21)

Buddha: "Consider others as yourself." (Dhammapada 10.1)
Jesus: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." (Luke 6.31)

Buddha: "Let us live most happily, possessing nothing; let us feed on joy, like radiant gods." (Dhammapada 15.4)
Jesus: "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God." (Luke 6.20)

Buddha:
"If anyone should give you a blow with his hand, with a stick, or with a knife, you should abandon any desires and utter no evil words." (Majjhima Nikaya 21.6)
Jesus: "If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also." (Luke 6.29)

Buddha:
"During the six years that the Bodhisattva practiced austerities, the demon followed behind him step by step, seeking an opportunity to harm him. But he found no opportunity whatsoever and went away discouraged and discontent." (Lalitavistara Sutra 18)
Jesus: "When the devil had finished every test, he departed from him until an opportune time." (Luke 4.13)

Do you think there was any chance Jesus or writers of the new testament copied buddhist ideas that pre-dated Christ by 500 years? Because of the silk road, there actually were buddhist missions in both Rome and Ancient Greece.

Here are some of the similarities; they seem far to exact to be a coincidence.

Saint Jerome (4th century CE) mentions the birth of the Buddha, who he says "was born from the side of a virgin" the Buddha was, according to Buddhist tradition, born from the hip of his virgin mother.

[] Both Jesus and Siddartha deserted their families to seek their truths.

How did Jesus desert his family considering they were always hanging around him?

[]The palm-tree bends down to Mary as the Asoka tree to Yashodara.
[] The idol bending down to the infant Jesus.
[] The miracle of the sparrows restored to life.

I dont recognize these stories, it could either be I never heard of them ro it might have just been that long a time since I read the Bible.

[] The story of Simeon, the accounts of the bright light being almost word for word the same as in the earlier buddhist text

This is still a pretty common occurance in near death experiences so apperantly that happens all the time (to see a bright light).

[] Both stayed in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights and were tempted by evil, Jesus by Satan and Buddha by the demon Mara and his daughters.

You could have something here with this one.

Buddha: "The faults of others are easier to see than one's own."
Jesus: "Why do you see the splinter in someone else's eye and never notice the log in your own?"

Buddha: "The avaricious do not go to heaven, the foolish to not extol charity. The wise one, however, rejoicing in charity, becomes thereby happy in the beyond." (Dhammapada 13.11)
Jesus: "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven." (Matthew 19.21)

Buddha: "Consider others as yourself." (Dhammapada 10.1)
Jesus: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." (Luke 6.31)

Buddha: "Let us live most happily, possessing nothing; let us feed on joy, like radiant gods." (Dhammapada 15.4)
Jesus: "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God." (Luke 6.20)

Buddha:
"If anyone should give you a blow with his hand, with a stick, or with a knife, you should abandon any desires and utter no evil words." (Majjhima Nikaya 21.6)
Jesus: "If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also." (Luke 6.29)

Buddha:
"During the six years that the Bodhisattva practiced austerities, the demon followed behind him step by step, seeking an opportunity to harm him. But he found no opportunity whatsoever and went away discouraged and discontent." (Lalitavistara Sutra 18)
Jesus: "When the devil had finished every test, he departed from him until an opportune time." (Luke 4.13)

Truth is the truth no matter who says it. Doesn't make it plagerism.

Better question...

Was Jesus a Buddhist? At his birth he was met by three wise men. After they fled herod into Egypt his life is unscribed until he and his father went into jerusalem and he argued and discussed scripture with the rabbis and other learned men. From that point it's again unscribed until he was in his late thirties. There were roman/chinese trade routes open at that time, which allowed travel into the subcontinent.

It's not impossible.

Another good question is; were the ten commandments plagiarised from the laws of ma'at?

Truth is the truth no matter who says it. Doesn't make it plagerism.

I don't think it's coincidence considering greek philosophers and roman writers were well aware of buddhist teachings. Many buddhist monks were preaching Buddha's words through Eurasia and the middle east.

Buddha also walked on water and healed the sick.

Last edited:
Celtic Gods of the Forest died in trees and rose three days later.

It's no coincidence, Christianity has been altered to allow the heathens to retain their own traditions and beliefs so often that you've really got to wonder what is real and what's not.

It's no wonder that there's such variety in the religion; from quakers to westboro

After they fled herod into Egypt his life is unscribed until he and his father went into jerusalem and he argued and discussed scripture with the rabbis and other learned men. From that point it's again unscribed until he was in his late thirties. There were roman/chinese trade routes open at that time, which allowed travel into the subcontinent.

Speaking of Egypt, their god Horus had the following similarities:

- birth was also signified by a heavenly star
- born on December 25th.
- baptized in a river, and their baptizer subsequently beheaded.
- also had 12 disciples
- resurrected the dead.
- was also crucified between two thieves
- came back to life and promised to return from the heavens again one day
- was known as a fisher and associated with fish
- was also called the "anointed one", "logos" and "the shepherd of humanity"

As a baby, Jesus, Buddha and Krishna are all declared a king. Wise men present them with gifts of gold:

Jesus, Buddha and Krishna were all threatened by a king or tyrant who tried to kill him as an infant:

Last edited:
Jesus was actually born in Midsummer. Not in Winter. That date was changed to appease Heathens of Europe who had the Winter Solstace.

It's no coincidence, Christianity has been altered to allow the heathens to retain their own traditions and beliefs so often that you've really got to wonder what is real and what's not.

When I ask most Christians what Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny have to do with the birth and resurrection of Christ, they usually have this dumbfounded look like "hmm, never thought about that".

Which pretty much sums up the thought processes of most religious folks.

Saint Nicholas was the rich son of a merchant who provided food for the poor at Christmas time. I believe he later became a Cardinal.

The Easter Bunny is a symbol of Fertility, as the Egg is a symbol of Potential and Birth.
The Easter Bunny is Heathen, the Egg is a Christian addition. Chocolate is a new commercial addition.

Saint Nicholas was the rich son of a merchant who provided food for the poor at Christmas time. I believe he later became a Cardinal.

Interesting just looked Saint Nicholas up, I assumed Santa Claus came from Nordic Pagan rituals related to their Yule-tide Winter Festival.

I figured it all got jumbled up when the Romans had to appease a wide variety of newly acquired Germanic barbarians with the existing religions in their empire by combining vacation days for them. Thus Pagan fertility days mixed in with Christ's resurrection etc.

Last edited:
Look up Saint Valentine. He was a man who secretly provided dowries for women so they didn't have to turn to prostitution.

Jesus was a communist

I love to see these comparisons,they make you think. But most if not all of these can be explained. while you relate them to things that most Jews would know little about it's far easier to see the connection between the NT and the OT. the OT is constantly quoted and referenced in the Gospels and epistles.secondly you have to see where their teachings split.

Also I read the Gospels and never read most of those stories. The 40 days and forty nights would make a better reference to the Noah's flood. Death and resurrection goes back to Jonah being in the belly of a great fish. Also thirteen apostles account for the twelve tribes and the gentile nations. Just about every thing that been brought up makes more sense from a Jewish perspective.

Also, Jesus didn't write down any books in the Bible.

Last edited:
its true...

overlapping mythologies

Many religions carry motifs from older religions in the same way that languages carry traces of older words or languages.

The number 3 for example is very significant in christianity but has much older significance and is used in many religions.

I heard some suggestion that Roman Catholicism places an emphasis on Mary because the christians were trying to supplant an older religion which had a female deity as its focus; possibly the Isis cult.

Language itself suggests widespread, ancient links between people as well through the indo-european languages.

When you start looking at religion/myths at that level you start seeing parralels everywhere. The problem is that the adherents to these religions often beleive that their religion and other religions are mutually exclusive.

The figure of St. George is another recurring religious figure with misty origins, which crosses the boundaries of religions.

On the theme of christmas, christmas trees originate from Germanic pagan practises, where people gave offerings to the spirits in the forests.

Last edited:
Also I read the Gospels and never read most of those stories. The 40 days and forty nights would make a better reference to the Noah's flood. Death and resurrection goes back to Jonah being in the belly of a great fish. Also thirteen apostles account for the twelve tribes and the gentile nations. Just about every thing that been brought up makes more sense from a Jewish perspective.

That's correct. Jesus did not actually write any of the Bible. He did, however, speak the parables as recorded in the Gospels. The 40 days/nights was the flood. Forty years was Moses in the desert, resulting in the stories of the burning bush, the ten commandments, the manna from heaven, etc. And I'm not sure what the reference to the palms is about, the only thing to which I could attribute the confusion is the event referred to as "Palm Sunday." I wouldn't exactly draw much of a correlation between the stories of Jesus and Siddhartha, either.

But it's true, still, that many religions are based upon stories that are little more than archetypes. Whatever works for you.

Yeah i think the various archetypes point to older origins of the various current religions.

If a religion is started by an enlightened individual and his followers, to fit their philosophy, they often build it on the foundations of older ideas. Religions are evolving. When a gap is revealed in the argument of a religion, the religion is then evolved to cope with this.

Hinduism is particularly clever because it claims that everything is an incarnation of Vishnu. You could say 'jesus is my lord, he is the only god', hindus will counter this with 'yes but he is just another incarnation of Vishnu'.......Buddha (he never even claimed to be a deity, he just became one through chinese whispers)....just another incarnation of Vishnu. That is a very adaptable religion.

Christianity on the other hand is less flexible, but has still had to absorb elements of other religions. Churches in Europe are often built on old Pagan sites. The rich tapestry of pre-christian gods are are all labelled 'the devil'. In south america it was often the mountains that were sacred, so the christians built crosses on top of the hills. People still worship at those sites, but the ceremonies are different.

Every culture has it's own colourful way of celebrating the fact that humans feel a sense of something else. It's perhaps a bit of a shame that they feel the need to codify, name and exclusively own that feeling.

to that point your getting into society involved though not the actual beliefs and words spoken in the Bible, no where does it say in NT does it say to worship on a hill or to celebrate on particular days, nor does it mention St. Nick or the Easter bunny. these have no grounding biblical doctrine. not to say there bad things but there not necessary either.

I love to see these comparisons,they make you think. But most if not all of these can be explained. while you relate them to things that most Jews would know little about it's far easier to see the connection between the NT and the OT. the OT is constantly quoted and referenced in the Gospels and epistles.secondly you have to see where their teachings split.

Gospel of Thomas.

Is no gospel at all. A Paul would say it