Values -- what are some of yours? | INFJ Forum

Values -- what are some of yours?

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
I've been thinking about values quite a bit recently and I thought it may be an interesting question to pose in a forum filled with INFJ types:

What do you value? What is important to you? To what extent do you (personally rather than philosophically/hypothetically) feel or believe that your values define you?

How value-centred are you in the actions you take, your self-conduct, and how you process your thoughts/feelings?

Out of curiosity, when you think about your values, do you organize or categorize them according to the different categories of your life?

I don't organize or categorize my values or think of them as solid and "thing" like, if that makes sense. I have a keen sense of right and wrong "in situ". I need a specific incident or a general type of problem really to make the call wether something is right or wrong. I do have certain constant beliefs and views about society, politics and policies which haven't really changed in time. I'm very liberal (not economically though) and believe in people's rights to live as they wish as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I get very peeved when I perceive something I feel is unjust, or ambiguous situations not being fully examined before they are judged and hidden structural violence etc.
As for causes and values...for example...because it's been something I've debated recently I could easily say I'm a feminist, though I think I'm just a person whose been around and experienced weird attitudes and odd beliefs imposed on myself and female friends and colleagues. I see it and get peeved off and say something about it because it irks me and seems crazy to me. That would make me a feminist I suppose, though I've never read a single book on feminism or attended any kind of a feminist group in my life. Just been around. I do also tend to say unpopular things I know will not necessarily win me friends but if I believe they need to be said I will.
I try to make personal choices which align with my beliefs, like buy local produce when I can, live true to myself and not be cowardly, try to help people out if I can and in a way that will go unnoticed if possible.
I have a high standard for myself and constantly strive to act in a better, more positive, nurturing way. Emphasis on strive. ;)
Generally speaking I don't think a person needs defined values to act justly and fairly. I think one has to try to be as honest with themselves about themselves and always strive for fairness and honesty. Even if it's unpleasant to look at your own self and how you've misbehaved it's the only decent way to be, I think. If you can marry that kind of fairness and honesty with empathy and caring I think you'll naturally do what's right at any given time.

EDIT: So I guess values= honesty, fairness, compassion, diligence, forgiveness ...I made a list. ;D

If there were more humility in the world, it would be much better.

I've been thinking about values quite a bit recently and I thought it may be an interesting question to pose in a forum filled with INFJ types:

Perhaps I can be provide some contrast, as I am not an INFJ.

What do you value?
Good faith matched with good intent.

What is important to you?
Truth.

To what extent do you (personally rather than philosophically/hypothetically) feel or believe that your values define you?
I think the extent plays out in the life that is lived, rather than merely declaring the extent via words.
Time will help tell.

How value-centred are you in the actions you take, your self-conduct, and how you process your thoughts/feelings?

They tend to be present, even if they manifest in an incomplete form or less than ideal form. For the two values mentioned, they are part of the bare philosophy that helps guide my goals and objectives.

Out of curiosity, when you think about your values, do you organize or categorize them according to the different categories of your life?
I do. It makes them somewhat easier to later descibe if I feel inclined.

I think Honesty covers it all. Because it takes the truth, for any work to be done.
It doesn't define me, but I'd strive for it (and think we all need to...)
Honesty to see yourself for what you are you first, before you can forgive, love, grow, etc, properly.
For example, asking yourself,
are you loyal?
are you compassionate enough?
do you have wisdom? etc.
It takes a certain harsh confrontation to look at yourself honestly, but it's the first step. :)

I'm not your role model, I'm just like everyone else when it comes to being truthful - mediocre. :p

No, I don't really categorize/ organize my values to aspects of life :p It all comes jumbled together internally to the outside. :p
But yeah, honesty first. :)

Reactions: palomica26.2
I have no specific list, just an overly-developed sense sense of right and wrong. I prefer to think of things as one very large "gray area" and get annoyed when I'm in a situation that calls for absolutes.

I have a completely personal, often random list of personal values which includes integrity, courage, strength, and responsibility. Everything is a bit of a jumble of right and wrong, woven like a beginner's tapestry. :/

Last edited:
I have no specific list, just an overly-developed sense sense of right and wrong. I prefer to think of things as one very large "gray area" and get annoyed when I'm in a situation that calls for absolutes.

How do marriage values fit into that? I would hope it was an absolute, and not annoying...

Agreed *ahem*

Loyalty, kindness and good intentions. Of course, there are many more, but these are the first that come to mind.

I am more defined by my efforts to live up to my values, rather than the values themselves. It's that familiar and impossible and almost ugly pursuit for perfection. Call it self-tyranny. It's much easier for me to tolerate mistakes and weaknesses in others than in myself. To find a comfortable compromise between my values and my actual behaviour, and accept my shortcomings - that would be wonderful. Hopefully I'll get there one day.

Respect. All the other positive attributes of humanity mean nothing without a fundamental respect for self, for life, for people, or even for the forces of nature.

Without respect I'd be a useless pile of apathy and nihilism.

My values are mostly a complex mix of what other people have already listed. The more specific the topic, the easier it is for me to show what I value or believe. For example, I see marriage as the ultimate vow of love between two people. My Ni function seems to be especially active in marital concepts because I have impressed married couples with my insight even though I'm only 18.