Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll be soiling my ballot

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I shan't be voting, no sir!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HOM0c.png

Oh! for the days when politicians were REAL politicians ....

The guy who successfully confronted the tyranny of Napoleon and enabled the end of the slave trade:
d185da7dbf661d19e305ae310129829d.jpg

The guy who laid the initial foundations of true democracy in England and the United States
Oliver-Cromwell.jpg

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice… ye are a pack of mercenary wretches…Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse…’Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defil’d this sacred place…Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation…’Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors… In the name of God, go!

The guy who put hell fire into public life
c6135ae0cbc778f6d0713106f24a7479.jpg

I'm sure Simon de Montfort is offended and his ghost will come to haunt your house
Ah but the Tudor’s and Stuart’s messed up all his good work. Anyway he’ll have to share with Richard IIIs ghost- my wife is his worlds greatest champion :). We haven’t had a real monarch since he was killed and all these foreigners took the throne and messed it up. Mind you the Plantagenets were not exactly good at living with each other lol.

Why aren't the seats proportional to the votes?
That looks rather unfair at first glance.
It’s because the British are lousy at compromise and can’t form decent coalitions. When the Liberals went into coalition with the Tories in 2010 their ‘supporters’ trashed them at the next election in punishment despite the fact that they did a decent job of it. The first past the post system is the only way we can get a stable government. You only have to look at the utter chaos of the last year to see the abject failure of our parties to work together because they all saw what had happened to the Liberal Party. They were all fighting like cats in a sack for the last 9 months.

Edit: Isn't the US presidential election similar? The electorate vote for an instruction to state 'electors' I think, rather than directly for the candidate of choice. I seem to recall that Trump actually got less votes from the population overall than Clinton.

Last edited:
Why aren't the seats proportional to the votes?
That looks rather unfair at first glance.
Because the election is fought in local constituencies. So a national party that is generally popular (like the Liberal Democrats) don't get represented if they can't outright win in the local seats.

It's not 'fair', but like John says the system is set up to produce strong governments rather than representative ones.

Ah but the Tudor’s and Stuart’s messed up all his good work. Anyway he’ll have to share with Richard IIIs ghost- my wife is his worlds greatest champion :). We haven’t had a real monarch since he was killed and all these foreigners took the throne and messed it up. Mind you the Plantagenets were not exactly good at living with each other lol.
Lol. You ever read or heard of Marc Bloch's The Royal Touch? It's a work of history that describes the practice of English and French monarchs 'curing' scrofula in petitioners by the laying on of hands.

The funny thing was that the practice was quietly stopped in England when the Hanoverians came in because even their supporters felt that they wouldn't be able to do it (i.e. they doubted their divine legitimacy).

Lol. You ever read or heard of Marc Bloch's The Royal Touch? It's a work of history that describes the practice of English and French monarchs 'curing' scrofula in petitioners by the laying on of hands.

The funny thing was that the practice was quietly stopped in England when the Hanoverians came in because even their supporters felt that they wouldn't be able to do it (i.e. they doubted their divine legitimacy).
I’ve heard of it. The divine anointed can do faith healing. There’s something appealing about God’s Silly Vassal being expected to touch ordinary folks with contagious diseases. I wonder if they ever picked up more than grateful thanks. They were right about the Hanoverians - touched yes, but that’s another matter :D. Actually GIII was quite a decent monarch when he wasn’t actually mad- apart from that unpleasantness in the Colonies of course ....

There's this weird theory King Edward IV was illigitimate and the claim to the English throne (and only the English one) should've passed down the line of George duke of Clarence, who had also been named heir by Henry VI during his shortlived restoration period. The line passes through Margaret Pole to the Earls of Loudoun. In conclusion, the current King of England (and prolly the Angevin claimant to France) would live in Australia.
Elizabeth II Regina would still be Queen of Scotland

Last edited:
There's this weird theory King Edward IV was illigitimate and the claim to the English throne (and only the English one) should've passed down the line of George duke of Clarence, who had also been named heir by Henry VI during his shortlived restoration period. The line passes through Margaret Pole to the Earls of Loudoun. In conclusion, the current King of England (and prolly the Angevin claimant to France) would live in Australia.
Elizabeth II Regina would still be Queen of Scotland
LOL. Edward doesn't look much like Richard does he, but we can't rely too much on the portraits I suppose. Apparently when they were doing all the DNA analysis on RIIIs skeleton, they found a non-paternity event on the line back to Edward III. It didn't affect Richard because he was descended from more than one of the lines from EIII - but the Bollibrokes and Henry VII look like they are stuffed because that's their only line of descent, and bang goes the Queen's pedigree. Looks like some great lady was having fun while her lord was away on business. Mind you Henry claimed by right of conquest as well as by descent, and Parliament bypassed loads of people with a better claim to put George I in place - no nasty Catholics wanted! So pedigree is not the most important justification, or we'd bring the Stuart line back again seeing how that's still going strong.

LOL. Edward doesn't look much like Richard does he, but we can't rely too much on the portraits I suppose. Apparently when they were doing all the DNA analysis on RIIIs skeleton, they found a non-paternity event on the line back to Edward III. It didn't affect Richard because he was descended from more than one of the lines from EIII - but the Bollibrokes and Henry VII look like they are stuffed because that's their only line of descent, and bang goes the Queen's pedigree. Looks like some great lady was having fun while her lord was away on business. Mind you Henry claimed by right of conquest as well as by descent, and Parliament bypassed loads of people with a better claim to put George I in place - no nasty Catholics wanted! So pedigree is not the most important justification, or we'd bring the Stuart line back again seeing how that's still going strong.
Even installing the Jacobite claimaint would imply importing a German.

Reactions: Reason and John K
Even installing the Jacobite claimaint would imply importing a German.
True. I wonder occasionally if we’d do better as a republic - but when I look at some of the examples :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:

Reactions: Reason
@Stu your presence in this thread again made me think that you are British. Which I had to remind myself that you are not.

You're doing this on purpose just to mess with me, aren't you?

GET OUT OF MY HEAD

DON'T MAKE ME BUY A TIN FOIL HAT TO PROTECT MYSELF

Reactions: Professor Snep
its all just part of our """"special relationship""" (I have family in the UK, and....privileges)