Trouble Sleeping? | INFJ Forum

Trouble Sleeping?

Obstinate

Regular Poster
Jul 7, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Is it just me, or is it an INFJ thing to have trouble ever getting a good amount of sleep? I find that most people's sleeping schedules never work for me, and the earlier I sleep, the less sleep I get. And it's counter-productive. And no matter what, if I lay around in bed for more than five minutes I get really restless and must do something.

But yeah, for example, if I fall asleep around 11 PM, I'll wake up at 6 AM sharp. If I fall asleep at 11:30, I'll wake up around 6:30. Yet if I go to sleep earlier than that, say 10:30, I'll wake up at like 4 AM which totally throws me off physically. Though no matter what time I go to sleep, I hardly ever feel quite satisfied by the sleep. Anybody else go through this?

Re: Sleep?

Obstinate said:
Is it just me, or is it an INFJ thing to have trouble ever getting a good amount of sleep? I find that most people's sleeping schedules never work for me, and the earlier I sleep, the less sleep I get. And it's counter-productive. And no matter what, if I lay around in bed for more than five minutes I get really restless and must do something.

But yeah, for example, if I fall asleep around 11 PM, I'll wake up at 6 AM sharp. If I fall asleep at 11:30, I'll wake up around 6:30. Yet if I go to sleep earlier than that, say 10:30, I'll wake up at like 4 AM which totally throws me off physically. Though no matter what time I go to sleep, I hardly ever feel quite satisfied by the sleep. Anybody else go through this?

lol.. exactly... i can't ever seem to get my pattern down.. but once i do, i have to stick to it or else it goes all out of whack again...

the restless thing gets me... i just metioned that yesterday to Coke...

I never wake up, stretch and say I had a good night's sleep. Like you said Obstinate, I never feel satisfied either.

I don't usually go to bed that early, but typically I will sleep for 9 hours, without too much of a hitch in that rule. Sometimes I'll laze around in bed for an extra hour or two, but I'll usually start waking after about the 9th.
Unless I'm on a schedule. If I'm used to waking up about 6:30, I'll wake up about 6:30 without problem. Unless I go to bed really late :B

But I do feel tired a lot...:0 And I absolutely can not just "wake up" like those weirdos that can just hop outta bed and walk around like they have excellent motor skills or something. I have to have a transition period of at least 10-15 minutes, and it's usually about a half hour before I'm fully awake

I can never get enough sleep, 12 hours is good but then the whole day is gone! I'm definitely not a morning person, I'm such a grouch. :D

I'm more of a night owl.

I either sleep too little or too much. And even when I seem to get the right amount of sleep, the quality may be lacking.

I never used to either. Now I have a formula.

Drink a glass of whiskey
Read bash.org
Masturbate
Lie in bed with the lights off.

eh, i drink... like seriously...

really, there are times i just cannot seem to get my schedule down at all, and i am just too damn powerless to stop it... like an unending vortex...

so, i work 2 job; one during the week from 7-4pm, and the other sat/sun from 3pm-11pm

the weekdays doesn't bother me, but during the weekends i stay up on friday night until about 5am saturday, but on sundays i have to go to bed almost as soon as i get home

eh, it sucks sometimes

Yeah, I love the night time. Everything just seems so awesome at night!

I prefer to go to bed between 19:30 and 11 and sleep until 6:30 AM. I like to get stuff done in my day. If I don't go to sleep early enough... I feel nauseous.

My work (and commuter train) schedule has rewritten my body clock so I go to bed between 9:30 and 10 pm and wake up at 5:50 am with or without an alarm clock....even on the weekend!!! In a perfect world (like the weekend) a short mid-afternoon nap (15-20 minutes) really helps, but that doesn't happen during the work week unless I doze off on the train for 5 minutes or so.

I am a light sleeper and have to take a little something (over the counter pill, split in half) to sleep soundly. I had to do this ever since going through a traumatic period in my life...I think it whacked my brain out. Back then I would wake up after three or four hours w/ my mind racing...not any more.

I have a hard time going to sleep too generaly i go to sleep around 12:30 or 1 and like clock work i am up at 6:30 or 7...I feel so tired and i drag the whole day I too get nauseous but only if I have a lack of sleep...which is always! Just the other day my body shut down for a night got a fever and nothing else...Thus far thats the only thing that made me sleep! lol...

We should invent the INFJ sleeping cap X Stops thoughts dead in their tracks LOL ;)

I have trouble getting good sleep. There have been weeks where I was getting 4 hours a night after finishing homework and then having to get the kids up and to school. I felt better at that time than going to bed at 2200 or 2300 and getting up at 630 or so.

It seems the nights I remember my dreams best are also the ones I wake rested enough.

It's 1.30 in the morning here and I have to wake up at 7.45 tomorrow morning. I can never seem to go to bed when I mean to. I'll always find something better to do. And even when I'm in bed it takes me time to sleep (but that might be because I've just spent 3 hours on the computer :mrgreen: when I go to school and I spend all day standing up and concentrating on what I'm drawing I fall asleep quicker).

I'm usually asleep by 1am, sometimes later, rarely earlier.

Yeah, I can never get enough sleep....

but DO ALL INFJ's dream as much as I do?!?!

Like very vivid dreams...

All my life, I've had nightmares and dreams that would wake me up with myself screaming, crying, or sweating...

Just curious if any anyone has trouble sleeping sometimes, if not all the time, when there's something on there mind. I tend to think about the good and bad of the day as well as possible future scenarios for certain things/interactions. My imagination gets carried away and I sometimes have trouble falling asleep. Just recently it has been getting worse. I think this might be because I've been reflecting alot about myself, who I am and my place in the world. Anyone have the same issue?

*Merged threads and moved to Health, not enough love in this part of the forum*

To 2nd OP, yup, I have a terrible habit of surviving on as little sleep as I can. Often don't go to sleep till 2-3am than have to wake up at 7:30 and ignore my alarm till about 8:50 when I have to rush to do something in an effort to get to work at 9:00 *grin* ok 9:15 is more realistic. I've learnt to get ready superquick!

My problem is distractions like the internet, plus I'd rather do something than sleep, sleep's boring (unless it's 7:30 in the morning, than it's all I want to do).

In regards to your reason, if I have something on my mind I have one hell of a time getting to sleep, I need to relax before I go to bed, something mindless like surfing the net, a glass of wine, a bubble bath etc works wonders.

Last edited:
I have the same problem too. I keep thinking and thinking and not necessarily negative thoughts, I quite enjoy it, but ... Well I don't end up sleeping as much as I could.