Train Ne and Se | INFJ Forum

Train Ne and Se

technics

On Holiday
May 13, 2011
MBTI
Yes
Any ideas how to train Ne and Se? I've neglected them for a while now. I remember I was quite into them when I did brainstorming, creative photography, played an instrument or listened to music. But I'm not in the mood to do those things these days, so I'd like to try out new ways.

I think this is exercising Se..Correct me if I am wrong, someone.
Some times I will sit outside and focus my senses entirely on the environment.
It's very soothing, and like a form of meditation. Focus on how the wind sounds, feels and smells etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: technics
Ohh good topic. I could benefit from deliberately engaging my Ne...

Maybe playing Devil's Advocate is engaging Ne?
You have to quickly come up with a reasonable way to justify the opposite of what you are arguing..

Ne involves seeing possibilities for something in front of you, some object or concept in the external environment. So, one exercise is to take an object and imagine all the things it could be used for.

It's very soothing, and like a form of meditation. Focus on how the wind sounds, feels and smells etc. etc. etc.

Oh yes, true. It makes the world simple for a while... haven't done that a long time now.

Do you know the creativity method of the six colored hats? It's made for teams of 6, one hat representing a role... optimistic, pessimistic, criticizing, holistic etc.

Ne involves seeing possibilities for something in front of you, some object or concept in the external environment. So, one exercise is to take an object and imagine all the things it could be used for.

Isn't this also called divergent thinking? Or is that something different?

Reactions: acd
Isn't this also called divergent thinking? Or is that something different?

Yes, basically, one of Ne's functions is to imagine the possible configurations of the external environment.

Observe and see facts and logics, play games where you need to be observant of your surroundings, and figure out logical, strategical moves forward (see: chess.), practise mindfulness.

Was Te coincidal? Because I tend to prefer Ti rather than Te?

What is mindfulness? It sounds more like introspection rather than spinning webs.

Minfulness is to live in the now, and think for yourself, I'm walking around right now, right at this place, this is going on, this is around me, focusing on what you are doing and the details.

You can't train Se AND Ne. You can only have one of those functions because they do the same thing in a different way.

Since you're an NTJ, you have Se/Ni and not Ne/Si.

You can train capacities related to Ne, but never Ne. You will be Ne-less forever. Noob.

You have to quickly come up with a reasonable way to justify the opposite of what you are arguing..
Yes, this is Ne as well, at least the way my infp beau engages his. Intps do this too, yes?

You can't train Se AND Ne. You can only have one of those functions because they do the same thing in a different way.

Since you're an NTJ, you have Se/Ni and not Ne/Si.

You can train capacities related to Ne, but never Ne. You will be Ne-less forever. Noob.
BOOM shit just got real!

Yes, mostly with themselves, probably. Looking at something, you try to see what things this thing hinges on.

My infp beau and his intp friend will poke holes in each others theories for sport. When he does this to mine it is emotionally painful. I would like to become more tolerant of this, as it is his main form of expression. Afterall, I know how to play devil's advocate in favor of the underdog. ;)

Reactions: jyrffw54
(DISCLAIMER: I most likely have no idea what I'm talking about)

I'm looking into training my Se, my last function, lately.

First I needed to figure out what Se really is. Then I realized I do it all the time.

Se, apparently, has you -do- stuff and has you be -aware- of the here and now, through all senses. You take in information and then -do- something with it. I guess the -doing- is the extraverted part. But the information we get or what we do has to serve some sort of purpose.

In video games, tactical objective based shooters specifically, the extraverted sensors are the ones who know where everyone or nearly everyone is. We hear and see and feel where they are. Ni probably helps us make the picture complete. I suspect the best players I know personally are all ISTP (Ti Se Ni Fe) or similar (with Ni and Se). When used, it is as if we can wallhack because we know where people are before they are there. (Wallhack means you have a cheat that can see through walls)

By hearing someone walk, we see them without seeing them.
I suspect there's also a lot of spatial stuff going on.

I like smelling my inks, I use them, I do stuff with paper all day. I even file off the corners of my books because I like to -do- it and I prefer the way it -feels-. I also -smell- the paper particles and worry about inhaling them.

I read that Si on the other hand, is more historic, more memory, more detail oriented. I know an ISTJ who constantly stares at stuff, then tells me about how someone he knows has this or that or some story it reminds him of. He's also a history buff.

I was at an antique market (big, like half a town big) with a bunch of people a while ago. I was looking for fountain pens, they were helping me look a little. One of us was looking for crystal vases. I raced through everything, looking at everything, even non-fountain pens. But I was looking for stuff that is useful, like watchmaker's tools (to use on fountain pens) or wax seals, ignoring most of the history, going for what's useful. Meanwhile the others lagged waaaaaaaaaaay behind. "See this, this reminds me of grandma's old blahblahblah" and "Haha, this looks like, remember that time we...?" yeah whatever, "Oh this is a 17th century... Napoleon used to..." o.o, "My neighbours best friend has one of these..." yes but does it work?

Oh that's another thought I often have "yes yes... but does it work?" and "how does it work?"

I know the history of my fountain pens, well, most of them, like the Parker '45 being named after the colt '45 and being the first pen to use cartridges. But that's more of a usage thing. Like when I saw the old writing boxes, I explained what they were used for, that they're the laptops of the old times. They are still used as low-tech laptops.

I noticed I always teach people how to -do- stuff. Giving advice on how to do things differently or better.

My Se kicks in at funny times. During teambuilding outings, they'd ask for a volunteer, I'll jump in and be "LET'S DO THIS.. what am I doing actually?" and then it turns out I made a really really stupid choice to volunteer as the objective was to dodge snowballs or something. I read that risktaking and showing off are also part of Se.
But I think there has to be some sort of purpose...

Why look for those specific items like watchmaker's tools and pens and seals? Because I'd -use- them.
Why collect fountain pens? To -use- them.
Why volunteer? Because waiting for the others to do so takes waaay too much time, gogogogo.
Why shave off corners off of books? Because it makes finding the right page easier and doesn't hurt my delicate-ish hands.
Why have delicate-ish hands? Because I can feel stuff better. I know people who take stuff out of the oven without mitts or who can smash their hand into a wall and feel awesome that they can without feeling anything. That's weird to me. I'd be sad I couldn't feel anymore.

So how to train Se?
I guess, by doing stuff. By for example, touching stuff, smelling stuff, figuring out what it can be used for. For example, someone told me that sweet perfumes attract more brunettes and spicy perfumes attract blondes. Not sure if that's true but people do have a preference between spicy and sweet. So perfumes can have different purposes.
Learn to love binder clips, not just for their paper binding powers.
http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/...der-clips-that-you-could-ve-easily-thought-of

Look at something and try to find uses for it.

SANDPAPER!
I'm not a carpenter, I hardly ever handle raw wood. I'm an office drone, yet I use sandpaper several times per day.
- Shave corners off of books to improve their handling
- Flash-sharpen pencils
- Flash-sharpen or clean erasers
- Erase ink with bent sandpaper (requires high grit)
- Emergency nail beautifier
- Clean certain types of clothing, like those fuzzy things, it gets them off
- Sharpen scissors by cutting tiny slices off of the sand paper
- Blunt syringe needles for use with fountain-pen related stuff
- Micromesh sandpaper to modify fountain pen nibs (but this is the micromesh stuff, like 12.000 grit, isntead of the usual 60-80 grit you find in hardware stores.

It all started when I found this artist's block of sandpaper by Koh-I-Noor in an art set http://www.flickr.com/photos/53818504@N00/3350101372/ like this

Oh another one!
- Loose leaf sandpaper to make opening bottles and jars easier due to added grip.

Correct me if I'm wrong :D

I think this is exercising Se..Correct me if I am wrong, someone.
Some times I will sit outside and focus my senses entirely on the environment.

this is late, but im correcting you:
thats Si, as Si is sensual input.
while Se is output, meaning body language through impulses. and choosing to wear something not to look like yourself so much, but rather to please others eyes. (but more often used as a pathway to communicate your uniqocity into language others understand, especially isfp's. infp's do the very same but through Ne.)

Se, go dance, and when convering, act on your impulses on how much you want to weave your hands around, its fun! =)
Ne, plan how you move you hands before you do it. plan your dances. or simply think of the move before making it, while Se is completely under impulses.

freestyling alone is fun way to get Se.

think of it this way: intro functions for you, extro for others. others cant sense what you sense, but some common ground there is which Se specializes at. Si specializes in your ground.

also you cant train either of them without their partner fnction. (si and ni)