Too sensitive? | INFJ Forum

Too sensitive?

Jana

Searching...
Apr 18, 2009
MBTI
infj
How often do you get something like that from friends?
Do you hate that label no matter how accurate is...

im pretty contained. i've got to be extremely mad, sad, *insert emotion* to express it freely to someone, and even then, i've got to trust them immensely. though, gender could have something to do with it.

It's frustrating, but I generally exhibit a calm and collected exterior to prevent the pain associated with the label from spilling forth; however, if I cannot express myself to "friends" then re-evaluation of boundaries typically occurs. In the end, we are the ones who must live with ourselves - no one else can truly fill that role.

I'm pretty hard to damage... Seriously... People call me a cold hearted bitch albiet jokingly... I laugh in response.

Jana, I get it. Only from close friends who I will admit the hurt to, but they do tell me I am too sensitive, taking things the wrong way, taking things to heart that were meant in jest. I do, but... certain things are not funny to me. Things/people I care about very deeply, if you jab at those, I'm comin' across the table to rip you a new one! That's me...

yes. . I do hate it. . the one I really dont like is "co-dependant". . I know I"m not responsible for someone else's feelings, but I hurt for them just the same. . .
sorry, it's just me. .

Not often, no. But I don't take any shit from people who like to 'joke' with me if I think their intentions are anything other than good-naturedness. Then they pull the old "you're too sensitive", etc.

How often do you get something like that from friends?
Do you hate that label no matter how accurate is...

I used to be labeled that as a kid. I didn't really like it. X3 Now that I'm older, I don't get called that anymore. I think people who are "sensitive" probably just don't have as much experience with criticism as others do. At least, I think that's why I was sensitive beforehand. I think most people are at one point in their lives or another. It's not really fair for others to label one as sensitive as if they would be like that forever, well, that's how felt when I was called that, so I understand what you mean.

I'ma be lookin' REAL frickin' sensitive when I dissect a certain mouthy so & so's vertebrae with a chain saw, now aren't I!? Suckas betta pipe down with that nonsense... ( not directed at anyone here... so far... :m032:)

I don't think I have ever been told I was being sensitive. I am not an INTJ robot and sometimes things will bother me. I usually try and be upfront with "people" (in general) if I feel hurt or upset by something--that is only if they seem reasonable and there would be a purpose to having any type of discussion.

If I am close to someone and care deeply about them, I have a tendency to hide pain they cause me until I can tear it apart logically and analyze the situation. I can go thru periods of feeling emotional and out of balance which makes me more sensitive to what those I love say. If you are close to me, your words will carry a great deal of weight with me.

Reactions: the
I get told I'm sensitive quite often. The thing is, I know I am. I always have been. I over-think a lot of things, even if they are minor, and I get worried quite easily. I get scared, and sometimes things can come over me in tidal waves, so I get upset...

So yea, I know Im sensitive. If someone says something to me that I find offensive I will most likely get upset.. but I have my reasons. Im trying to become less sensitive but... xP

Yeah... I really work on it, because, like Sonyab said, I value the opinions of those closest to me, but... folks need to work on their insensitivity, too, yo... but... if you sincerely apologize and make an effort not to repeat the offense, i'll love you again! :D :m032:

Reactions: Nixie
never, sensitive people who show their vulnerability to supposed friends are fools.

[MENTION=2271]poshlost[/MENTION] I tend to agree, but I don't want to leave Earth without experiencing true love/connection. People are going to disappoint me, absolutely. Can I move beyond that and see how the relationship will flourish after forgiveness? I want to. Am i gonna get hurt again? Certainly. Dems da breaks...

Reactions: poshlost
My dad is the only person that has called me sensitive (to my knowledge), but someone has almost certainly said something to the effect behind my back. This may have correlation with the fact that my dad has the sensitivities of a boulder. The situation in which he called me sensitive? We had to put my bulldog to sleep when I was in elementary school; a few months later I was looking at a picture of Boss and I together when I began to cry. Upon coming into my room I tried to hide my tears from him. "It's okay to cry, Paul. You're sensitive just like your mother."

However, I've not been called insensitive by many people either. While not showing much on the outside I am sensitive to what happens to my friends and family. I try to listen as best as possible ("The first duty of love is to listen" ~Paul Tillich) and I rarely ever accuse someone else of being too sensitive.

Though I do tend to be sensitive, I will most likely get accused of it when I am just irritable, and that exacerbates my irritation.

Reactions: Nixie
[MENTION=2271]poshlost[/MENTION] I tend to agree, but I don't want to leave Earth without experiencing true love/connection. People are going to disappoint me, absolutely. Can I move beyond that and see how the relationship will flourish after forgiveness? I want to. Am i gonna get hurt again? Certainly. Dems da breaks...

yup, you're actually right. I forget that I gave up on the whole idea of true love/connection, hence why it's easy for me to not show any sign of vulnerability.

Reactions: grt$5vb and Nixie
I don't get that line too often now, but from time to time someone delevers that. As if they don't have something better in discussion. "O, you don't agree with me -you are too sensitive!"

No, as I am sensitive enough.

cheers,
Ian

I used to get called that a lot when I was 5 or 6. It apparently influenced me enough to develop thicker skin to appear less sensitive than I actually am.