[INFJ] - Ti scrutiny of Ni insights | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Ti scrutiny of Ni insights

I would welcome it gladly.
The idea that I would have a Ti dom logicaly veryfing everything I say makes me feel very excited. I always wanted to make logical sense in my head, and when I meet someone with strong logical skills, I instantly want to make him my friend.

For example, my grandfather is a ISTP (he is a undiscovered and unknown math genius). Althought he is pretty private and a old man, everytime I talk with him I try to convince him to explain to me something, just anything. I get amazing satisfaction when I can understand what he explains me, and I ask him "But why that and not this? What does this thing make it so and not that thing?" and he just explains me with a flawless logic. Its just amazing.

I don't know any INTP in real life tough. At a camp last summer, I meet a guy who was a INTP, kind of my age, but he was from another city, and I just lost him. INTPs are pretty rare breed, at least in my area.

Yes, Ti will never answer your question with "because". If it makes a positive statement, it will give you reasons so you can also understand. And if it doesn't understand, it will simply say so. But, if the question captures the interest of the Ti user, he will consider it and may come back to you later to give you his thoughts. In this way, Ti-doms are a kind of untapped resource: if you want someone to think of a problem for you, just find a Ti-dom--they enjoy thinking for its own sake.

Ni is a function of receiving information. Would you think it's equally valid to question the correctness of Ne?

"Ne is bullshit" -some INFJ

To Ti, everything can be questioned. Including Ne. We submit our own intuitions to Ti scrutiny all the time.

About what are you "mostly right" and how frequently does this happen?

About anything I feel I know something about. I like to have wikipedia-style knowledge. Preferably about everything. I don't possess that knowledge, but I strive for it. I have a good memory. For example I can recall most of my biology exams from 3,5 years ago.
If I find something interesting, I do some research on it right away and then I'll remember it for later use.

In any debates with friends, flatmates etc or on online fora. I often share my thoughts with people to convince them of my theories. Mostly they'll agree. Sometimes they have counterarguments. Sometimes they're not very good and sometimes they make me rethink my theories (that one time I shared my theory on happiness with someone who had suffered from a depression).
In a debate-night at a christian community (me being atheist in atheist country), the debate was about (further) legalising euthanasia. People were talking about the value of life and how we can judge on that (and the classic christian debate points against suicide). Then my Ni popped. Premises: Some people are going to commit suicide whether it's legal or not. A suicide can traumatise random observers and family/friends. Euthanising doesn't create this trauma. Conclusion: Euthanasia is better than suicide.
Disclaimer must be that the road to authorised euthanasia is a long one involving plenty therapists, psychologist etc. My argument wasn't against christian values or anything, it was rather practical. No one countered my arguments, which disappoints me, but I guess it's because no one disagreed. I desire disagreement so either I can convince them further or I can find out what's weak about my argument.

Debates/discussions happen at least 10 times a week. But depending on the week, maybe up to 40 times.
In how many debates I turn out to be wrong I don't exactly know, mainly because I don't see discussions as something to win or lose or as something in where one is right and the other is wrong.
Discussions are meant to learn and teach. The goal is to reach agreement on everything. Whether people use Ni or Ti or anything else I don't really care.

You thinkers give up entirely too quickly, if you would say this has been a waste for you. When you were a child, the sun went down and came up, as did the moon. You expected it every day. We can expect things you cannot. I think the thing to do for a better understanding would be to watch how others are different than yourself. Watch a few years. It is a way of life for some, though others don't really want to understand it if it questions THEIR belief.

Reactions: Nelah
As a Ti-dom, I enjoy the company of P-doms whose perceptions stimulate and feed my thoughts. I'm particularly interested in Ni insights since they can appear to come out of nowhere and sometimes be quite prescient. However, they often fall far short of their marks, too. Either way, my inclination is to examine the insights to see if they make sense. I understand you do this with your tertiary Ti function. My question is, how do (or would) you react to sharing your insights with a Ti-dom whom you know is going to question your every utterance? Do you welcome this scrutiny? Or does the very idea repel you? I ask because I can see this as one deal-breaker in any close relationship with an INFJ.

Why do you believe you must question my every utterance? :confused:

You thinkers give up entirely too quickly, if you would say this has been a waste for you. When you were a child, the sun went down and came up, as did the moon. You expected it every day. We can expect things you cannot. I think the thing to do for a better understanding would be to watch how others are different than yourself. Watch a few years. It is a way of life for some, though others don't really want to understand it if it questions THEIR belief.

I said it hasn't been a waste. And what kinds of things can you expect that we cannot?

About anything I feel I know something about. I like to have wikipedia-style knowledge. Preferably about everything. I don't possess that knowledge, but I strive for it. I have a good memory. For example I can recall most of my biology exams from 3,5 years ago.
If I find something interesting, I do some research on it right away and then I'll remember it for later use.

In any debates with friends, flatmates etc or on online fora. I often share my thoughts with people to convince them of my theories. Mostly they'll agree. Sometimes they have counterarguments. Sometimes they're not very good and sometimes they make me rethink my theories (that one time I shared my theory on happiness with someone who had suffered from a depression).
In a debate-night at a christian community (me being atheist in atheist country), the debate was about (further) legalising euthanasia. People were talking about the value of life and how we can judge on that (and the classic christian debate points against suicide). Then my Ni popped. Premises: Some people are going to commit suicide whether it's legal or not. A suicide can traumatise random observers and family/friends. Euthanising doesn't create this trauma. Conclusion: Euthanasia is better than suicide.
Disclaimer must be that the road to authorised euthanasia is a long one involving plenty therapists, psychologist etc. My argument wasn't against christian values or anything, it was rather practical. No one countered my arguments, which disappoints me, but I guess it's because no one disagreed. I desire disagreement so either I can convince them further or I can find out what's weak about my argument.

Debates/discussions happen at least 10 times a week. But depending on the week, maybe up to 40 times.
In how many debates I turn out to be wrong I don't exactly know, mainly because I don't see discussions as something to win or lose or as something in where one is right and the other is wrong.
Discussions are meant to learn and teach. The goal is to reach agreement on everything. Whether people use Ni or Ti or anything else I don't really care.

By "Ni popped" you mean the idea just occurred to you? And exactly as you describe it here? How do you explain where this idea came from?

By "Ni popped" you mean the idea just occurred to you? And exactly as you describe it here? How do you explain where this idea came from?

I don't even try any more. Just flow. Always forward. :D

Reactions: Nelah
OOps. Sorry.

With my faith, I can expect what I believe to come true. "Expecting until all his enemies are made his footstool."

"Just occurred to you" is the correct and easy answer, yeah. I don't know. That's the tough question. Prepare yourself, I have tried to answer it:

Last year I did a course called Rationality, Action & Identity.
The main points I remembered were about action and rationality. My conclusion was that we decide on a course of action in our subconsciousness. Later we rationalise why we made that decision.

Simply said an animal would like like this:
. -<------------<--------------------<----
.| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
Senses -> Subconsciousness -> Intent -> Action
You could call subconsciousness instinct in the case of animals
Why seperate intent from action?
A cat may intent to sneak up to a bird and attack, but will not yet attack. In the meantime a dog runs up. Cat senses it. Instincts change intent. Action of attacking bird never took place.

But since we're conscious creatures it'd look like this.
(We're conscious about everything, but our subconsciousness)

. -<------------<--------------------<----
.| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
Senses -> Subconsciousness -> Intent -> Action
.| . . . . . . . . . . ^. . . . . . . . . . |
.V . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . . .. . V
. --------> . Consciousness . <---

Memory should be there somewhere too.

Consciousness is where our rationality is. If you make a rational decision. You use all input into your consciousness to make a decision. What we don't know is that (in my make-shift model) we first go through our subconsciousness.
Currently I should be writing a paper and all my rational reasons say I should stop doing this now, but I'm not doing it because.. Ehm I don't know. Probably because I'm enjoying it in the moment. Or (as I'm rationalising after I noticed my intent to NOT stop here and write my paper) this argument would fail if I do decide to quit this and start writing my paper. So I'd be proving myself wrong.
Either way. I rationalised a decision of intent (to start writing my paper). But when I measured my intent with my consciousness it was something else (not starting to write my paper). Most likely because I'm lazy and enjoying this. But I also managed to rationalise a different reason (that I'd be proving myself wrong). I have no clue whether this reason played a role in my subconsciousness. I can only guess at what made me make my decision.

Ni pops happen in your subconsciousness and I can only guess at why it got there. The following is a possible reconstruction of what happened at that specific time when my Ni popped at debate about euthanasia.
Something triggered my subconsciousness. Maybe because I was digging in my memory or thinking (consciousness) or because someone said something (senses). Both are input to my subconsciousness. Then my subconsciousness popped the first version of the speech I intended to give. My consciousness noted the intent and started digging my memory for more. Using memory about speeches to craft arguments. All this was also input for my subconsciousness. While I was still thinking about how to improve my argument I got another Ni pop. A second and improved version of my speech came forth. Then I found a counter argument. A flaw in the speech. I tried to solve it, but I couldn't find the solution. I dug and dug, but nothing. Five minutes later I got it. I could use one part of the speech and replace the rest and still make a good point. I have no clue why my subconsciousness decided to pop five minutes later, but it did. I checked my newly intended speech with my consciousness, but couldn't find any flaws and thus decided to present it.

I don't remember if that specific time went like this, but I find that what I wrote is a quite common thought process for me. I can speak and write very chaotic sometimes, mainly because when I'm writing the act and thoughts of writing make my subconsciousness pop again and thus change what I want to write, while I'm still writing. This can happen a hundred times when I write a text like this. Sometimes I just prefer to not change anything and just let my entire process of thought be written down for anyone to read. Often at the end of a text, I'll look back at the beginning and decide that it's crap. Actually halfway writing this post I already deleted my first ten sentences. They didn't fit anymore in my newly decided message.
This also happens while talking. Sometimes my subconsciouness is popping faster than I can speak. In these cases I take huge steps in following conclusions, often leaving the listener confused. Then I'll have to go back and try to rationalise why those conclusions follow. I never even consciously knew why they followed. I just knew. Often I can find out afterwards why it make sense and explain it. I often find this boring to do, because I already know it.

Popped this memory of personalitypage. Is that Si or Ni? :eek:
This is probably why INTJs have a hard time explaining their thoughts. The quote from personalitypage:
It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions. The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand. However, the INTJ is driven to translate their ideas into a plan or system that is usually readily explainable, rather than to do a direct translation of their thoughts. They usually don't see the value of a direct transaction, and will also have difficulty expressing their ideas, which are non-linear. However, their extreme respect of knowledge and intelligence will motivate them to explain themselves to another person who they feel is deserving of the effort.

On the INFJ page and the INFJ themself does not really understand their intuition at a level which can be verbalized.
INTJs (like me) are probably better at rationalising their intuition afterwards. Compare my post to apemon's above me.
He's an INFJ and I'm an INTJ. INFJ accepts it as something that happens and INTJ writes a massive post trying to rationalise it. (Yes, generalisations and INFJs can also have strong T functions, like I have strong Fe)

More Ni/subsconscious pop:
- Maybe my makeshift decision model is highly influenced by the fact that I'm a Ni-dom. Naturally I place everything around the subconsciousness, because it's so important for me personally.
- The model I made is probably heavily based on some kind of perspective within philosophy or psychology. I just don't remember which one and honestly I don't care. Somehow I remember what I believe is correct, thus I remembered this one.
- This all is also very annoying when I have to write a scientific paper, because I have to use sources. This course we read some books. I can recite the interesting parts of the relevant theory, but I really don't remember in what book I read it. So I end up having to read it again. Also theory from previous courses mixes with this. So if I'm writing something I don't know if it's actually from the books I'm supposed to use. Thus I don't want to be a scientist. Uh, INTJs are the Scientists right? I prefer blogs, essays or forumposts where I can ramble on like this.
- Ugh, if I read back my subconscious is triggered again by what I'm reading and I end up wanting to add something, but that messes up the entire structure.
- I can remember theories from years ago, but never who wrote it. Maybe I just because it's what I value. I don't care if Kant or Nietzsche wrote it down. I care if I think it makes sense.
- Wait these last parts were major derails and have nothing to do with subconsciousness. It's just about that I memorise what I value and that I forget what I don't value. *smackhead*. You can admire the derail in the second entry in this list. I'll not remove it for sake of showing Ni at work.

Sigh...

I decided it was so elaborate I want the INTJ community to also read it. I copied the post here: http://intjforum.com/showthread.php?p=4447106#post4447106

Last edited:
Reactions: Yatagarasu
To Ti, everything can be questioned. Including Ne. We submit our own intuitions to Ti scrutiny all the time.

Then what about ENTPs? For them is the reverse, submitting their supportive function, Ti, to their main function, Ne? That would be quite crazy.

Ni is a function of receiving information. Would you think it's equally valid to question the correctness of Ne?

"Ne is bullshit" -some INFJ
Let's jus say that the nature of Ni's insight are of a far more long range then that of Ne, and when unchecked, this can create serious problems.
I mean, any Ni users can easily create a philosophy of anything, beause that's the nature of Ni, to meditate, to contemplate, to look at the nature of things. And any Ni user can create a wrong philosophy of course...history is full of that. That's why Ni is more in a proper place to need a logical correction, at least that's how I see it.

OK, but I quoted you because you contradicted yourself, or appeared to me to. This is Ti noticing an inconsistency and bringing it to your attention. I can see how it can appear to you to be probing without understanding, but I can't understand if I don't first know what you are saying. And if you look at the discussion, my probing has made you change your statement from, "Ti-doms are tiring because Ti is overdeveloped and Ne underdeveloped" to "it's not so much that Ti is overdeveloped or Ne undeveloped, but more that the attitude is one of inquiry rather than understanding". Since you didn't state this latter position at first, I really can't be blamed for not understanding it. So if Ti probes for consistency, it is because knowing what is being said must precede understanding. In other words, I can't understand something I don't know. And I don't see why I should make the effort to understand if the statement is not clear--ie, you need to think more about what you're trying to say before I will try to understand it. However, notice that my probing has helped you clarify your position. So this process has not been a waste.

You are still proving my point. Your need to break down others argument for the sole purpose of perhaps being "right" or be the last person to validate your claims makes Ti unpopular and exhausting. And am I supposed to be grateful that you "made" me clarify my position? If it gives you the last "logical" argument so you can sleep well at night; then I salute you and I keep it moving.

Then what about ENTPs? For them is the reverse, submitting their supportive function, Ti, to their main function, Ne? That would be quite crazy.

ENTPs use Ti to scrutinize their Ne intuitions. The difference with INTPs is that they scrutinize less and are therefore more apt to believe their intuitions even when they're wrong. They also use Ti to feed their intuitions with ideas to ponder. So it's a two-way street. Ditto for INTPs. The difference is which function sits behind the wheel and the amount of traffic going either way.

You are still proving my point. Your need to break down others argument for the sole purpose of perhaps being "right" or be the last person to validate your claims makes Ti unpopular and exhausting. And am I supposed to be grateful that you "made" me clarify my position? If it gives you the last "logical" argument so you can sleep well at night; then I salute you and I keep it moving.

How do you know my "sole purpose" is to "be right"? It's apparent you've had bad experiences with Ti and you've brought those expectations to this thread and assumed I'm doing the same things. Is it possible your preconceived notions are distorting your perceptions? Also, you spoke of the desirability of having a balance in your use of functions: do you think your Ti is well developed? You did fail to see the obvious contradictions in your earlier statements. Maybe this should be your takeaway from this thread?

"Just occurred to you" is the correct and easy answer, yeah. I don't know. That's the tough question. Prepare yourself, I have tried to answer it:

Ni pops happen in your subconsciousness and I can only guess at why it got there. The following is a possible reconstruction of what happened at that specific time when my Ni popped at debate about euthanasia.
Something triggered my subconsciousness. Maybe because I was digging in my memory or thinking (consciousness) or because someone said something (senses). Both are input to my subconsciousness. Then my subconsciousness popped the first version of the speech I intended to give. My consciousness noted the intent and started digging my memory for more. Using memory about speeches to craft arguments. All this was also input for my subconsciousness. While I was still thinking about how to improve my argument I got another Ni pop. A second and improved version of my speech came forth. Then I found a counter argument. A flaw in the speech. I tried to solve it, but I couldn't find the solution. I dug and dug, but nothing. Five minutes later I got it. I could use one part of the speech and replace the rest and still make a good point. I have no clue why my subconsciousness decided to pop five minutes later, but it did. I checked my newly intended speech with my consciousness, but couldn't find any flaws and thus decided to present it.

The way I would approach that example is to ask questions, like "what criteria should be considered when comparing suicide and euthanasia?", "how should these criteria be weighted?", "how can suicide and euthanasia be assessed using these criteria?", and "how do these assessments add up?". One criteria might be personal consequences; this is your argument. But there are others, like social consequences, moral or ethical considerations, philosophical arguments, religious arguments, etc.

So Ti would examine the question consciously, deliberately, and comprehensively. It wouldn't be hit or miss like Ni appears to be.

This also happens while talking. Sometimes my subconsciouness is popping faster than I can speak. In these cases I take huge steps in following conclusions, often leaving the listener confused. Then I'll have to go back and try to rationalise why those conclusions follow. I never even consciously knew why they followed. I just knew. Often I can find out afterwards why it make sense and explain it. I often find this boring to do, because I already know it.

Popped this memory of personalitypage. Is that Si or Ni? :eek:
This is probably why INTJs have a hard time explaining their thoughts. The quote from personalitypage:
It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions. The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand. However, the INTJ is driven to translate their ideas into a plan or system that is usually readily explainable, rather than to do a direct translation of their thoughts. They usually don't see the value of a direct transaction, and will also have difficulty expressing their ideas, which are non-linear. However, their extreme respect of knowledge and intelligence will motivate them to explain themselves to another person who they feel is deserving of the effort.

On the INFJ page and the INFJ themself does not really understand their intuition at a level which can be verbalized.
INTJs (like me) are probably better at rationalising their intuition afterwards. Compare my post to apemon's above me.

So in your example of the suicide debate, what would the "internal form" of your thoughts look like? And how would you "translate those ideas into a plan or system"? What would this plan or system look like?

Thanks for describing your thought process. It is interesting.

The way I would approach that example is to ask questions, like "what criteria should be considered when comparing suicide and euthanasia?", "how should these criteria be weighted?", "how can suicide and euthanasia be assessed using these criteria?", and "how do these assessments add up?". One criteria might be personal consequences; this is your argument. But there are others, like social consequences, moral or ethical considerations, philosophical arguments, religious arguments, etc.

So Ti would examine the question consciously, deliberately, and comprehensively. It wouldn't be hit or miss like Ni appears to be.

My impression of Ni is that it is largely subconscious and therefore not entirely in the control of its users. As a result, its productions are random and piecemeal, that is, they yield individual insights into particular situations. The development of comprehensive theories, then, is out of its purview and requires further work using the conscious functions, especially the T functions.

Last edited:

Yes, while I do use Ti from time to time, I don't often ask myself those questions that you list. I never consciously considered all the other criteria. I believe they do pass my mind, but more subconsciously. Only the ones that I feel are important to the situation pop up and get conscious examination. In this case: legalising euthanasia would increase the amount of self-deaths, relatively to the amount when not legalising it.

The nice part is that it's more often a hit than a miss. I believe this is due to the sheer processing power of the subconscious. I just googled around and found different numbers.
The processing speed of our consciousness is listed between 40 and 50 bits per second. The subconscious is said to operate at 11 to 40 million bits per second. (Random internet sources)
Either way it's a lot higher, it can process a lot more data and thus make a more accurate decision. Hence I believe I'm more often than not 'right'. Sometimes it's wrong and I can find out by using my own Ti (which is quite strong too according to function tests).
But to return on what you said at the beginning. Sometimes evidence or proof is not convincing enough to break my trust in my subconscious Ni pop. Ni-doms with low Ti will do this a lot more I guess.
For example in a discussion where I believe X due to my Ni. The other says some studies show X, but twice as many show the opposite. So he thinks twice as many studies must be more proof. But I might stick with X, because I feel it's correct. I'll still acknowledge that more research on the subject is needed to find the definitive answer.

So in your example of the suicide debate, what would the "internal form" of your thoughts look like?
It's not that I build an argument block by block. It's just suddenly there, completely. A huge long argument that consists of many mental steps. I do not consciously know all the steps in between. I just know the starting position and the final conclusion. Afterwards I have to figure out the steps in between so someone else can understand it.
In the case of my pro-euthanasia argument it looks a lot like the reasons for legalising weed in some US states. If something is illegal, people are going to do it uncontrolled. If it's legal, you can regulate it. At the point that I made this argument, such a link never occurred to me, but my subconscious probably made it.

how would you "translate those ideas into a plan or system"? What would this plan or system look like?

Thanks for describing your thought process. It is interesting.
That's probably Te at work.
It really whether I bother to structure my message. Whether I really want to explain or put into use what I conceived. I could spend many more hours on the make-shift model around the subconscious to improve it and make it easier to understand, but I didn't because I felt it wasn't worth the time.
This process is necessary to let others admire my intelligence, which I would obviously like a lot. Also because Ni jumps so quickly I would have to spend hours each day writing it all into understandable systems. It's just impossible to explain everything.

Those systems are often highly organised. I spend time on how to structure it. Where to list what, to make it the easiest to understand. I spend time on explaining concepts and set definitions.
I'll do so if I think it's important, but it's tiring because it's sooo much slower than my own mind can go.

I once tried give a girl from my classes extra lessons in science, because I was acing it. But whenever we'd try an assignment I'd know how to do it, but not why. I could complete the assignment within a few minutes and now exactly where to find what number in what table or what formula to use. She'd ask why I used that formula. Me: "I don't know. Because it's the right one" *shrug*. I tried finding the formula in the textbook, so I could explain how and why it works. But finding the formula already took ages and then I still had to read the text, understand it and explain it. That lesson was the first and the last with her.

My impression of Ni is that it is largely subconscious and therefore not entirely in the control of its users. As a result, its productions are random and piecemeal, that is, they yield individual insights into particular situations. The development of comprehensive theories, then, is out of its purview and requires further work using the conscious functions, especially the T functions.
Correct. Especially the bolded parts.
The Ni insights are however very valuable to developing new and innovative theories. Making them comprehensive and understandable for any other than the one who made it will be done with T functions.
Note that fellow Ni-doms will also have trouble understanding each other (although not so much as others). This is because the subconscious data set that is necessary to understand the ideas is highly individual. T users use a conscious data set that's a lot easier to share.
The insights are not necessarily only applicable to particular situations. N users like to think abstract and find patterns that link multiple situations.

Last edited:
How do you know my "sole purpose" is to "be right"? It's apparent you've had bad experiences with Ti and you've brought those expectations to this thread and assumed I'm doing the same things. Is it possible your preconceived notions are distorting your perceptions? Also, you spoke of the desirability of having a balance in your use of functions: do you think your Ti is well developed? You did fail to see the obvious contradictions in your earlier statements. Maybe this should be your takeaway from this thread?

Who knows what your sole purpose is. It seems like it is to "scrutinize" Ni as the thread stated. I guess I should have been forewarned as I mistook scrutiny with desire to understand. But as it stands it is for the sole purpose to scrutinize Ni and it seems like you are very good at it.