Throwing my life away (Literally!) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Throwing my life away (Literally!)

Some of it is sad and scary, simply because I'm attached to things like only essays and jewelry, and I'm worried that disposing of some records might not be a good idea (though it's nothing important, like old CPR certs that don't mean anything now that their out of date), but overall it feels really good to have less and less belongings. Not having a ton of crap that I don't even look at most of the time makes my life feel so much less stressful and busy.

So forums, how many of you have had to do the "Great Purge" in anticipation of moving far-far away and being unable to bring everything with you? How did you feel getting rid of stuff? Did you have a lot of possessions and just ended up hauling most of it anyways, or did you go through everything and feel the pain of tossing old records/pictures/toys? Did anyone have to move overseas and end up having to widdle it down to a few suitcases?

Any of you feel like a weight or burden was being taken off your shoulders after getting rid of your excess crap?
Well I moved across the world to be with my husband and I had to get rid of almost everything as it was so costly to ship stuff. I gave away all my furniture, kitchen and household stuff, most of my books and I had to get rid of some clothes/coats/shoes as well. I sent about 10 small boxes which contained my jewellry box which was my great grandmother's, my jewellry, and a few little bits and pieces including clothes which I wanted to keep but wouldn't fit into my suitcase and the few books I wanted to keep. In 1 of the boxes was my wedding dress which caused me quite a bit of anxiety as I was worried it might get lost but I sent it by airmail and it got there ok.

I than packed all my clothes and toiletries into the one large suitcase, and in my carry-on luggage was all my paperwork and valuables. I probably spent around 2-300 dollars on shipping the stuff I sent over and looking back now I wish I'd got rid of the lot (with exception of wedding dress) and saved myself the bother and the money. I've always been rather minimalist but am even more so now.

I can only say that it was incredibly liberating and freeing to shed all the junk that I owned, it wasn't much at all by most peoples standards but it felt very good. There is a wrench when you are looking at the teddy you had since birth or whatever sentimental item you have attachment to, but it's just stuff really, take a photo of the item and digitalize everything if you want to remember it and that way you have the memory but not the dust collecting item that is bogging you down.

Best of luck with your move!!!

P.S. I recently started a thread on minimalism and mentioned this great site: http://www.missminimalist.com/

I think you'll find it interesting!

Last edited:
I'm going through a purge myself right now, though it's not as grand as yours.

I do feel markedly better with less stuff, but it's not always easy to let go of. I actually don't like holding onto stuff and I despise clutter... but what makes it difficult is that I used to throw out stuff rashly when I was younger that I now wish I had held onto, so I'm quite careful now as to what I keep/dispose of or donate.

How are you finding the process so far?

And have you heard of Man vs Debt? Not the same thing as you're doing but kind of interesting.

Well dont say I didnt warn you.

The purge usually goes small, like, only a room of mine, but usually it's out of "AAAARGH THERE'S TOO MUCH"
i've been so tempted to throw mine out, because i don't like the idea of being attached to old art, but i just can't do it. they mean too much to me :/ how does it feel, getting rid of them?
well, I generally take a last look at them, thank them for being the checkpoint back then, and the path to I am now, before ripping them into pieces. But that's sketches.....

Well I moved across the world to be with my husband and I had to get rid of almost everything as it was so costly to ship stuff. I gave away all my furniture, kitchen and household stuff, most of my books and I had to get rid of some clothes/coats/shoes as well. I sent about 10 small boxes which contained my jewellry box which was my great grandmother's, my jewellry, and a few little bits and pieces including clothes which I wanted to keep but wouldn't fit into my suitcase and the few books I wanted to keep. In 1 of the boxes was my wedding dress which caused me quite a bit of anxiety as I was worried it might get lost but I sent it by airmail and it got there ok.

I than packed all my clothes and toiletries into the one large suitcase, and in my carry-on luggage was all my paperwork and valuables. I probably spent around 2-300 dollars on shipping the stuff I sent over and looking back now I wish I'd got rid of the lot (with exception of wedding dress) and saved myself the bother and the money. I've always been rather minimalist but am even more so now.

I can only say that it was incredibly liberating and freeing to shed all the junk that I owned, it wasn't much at all by most peoples standards but it felt very good. There is a wrench when you are looking at the teddy you had since birth or whatever sentimental item you have attachment to, but it's just stuff really, take a photo of the item and digitalize everything if you want to remember it and that way you have the memory but not the dust collecting item that is bogging you down.

Best of luck with your move!!!

P.S. I recently started a thread on minimalism and mentioned this great site:
http://www.missminimalist.com/

I think you'll find it interesting!
Meep, I'm glad I don't have just one trip to do this in. I plan on buying a massive suitcase and transporting things over a few trips. I can ship things too but I'm trying to make sure I don't have to do too much of that, but I have some things that I am loath to have to replace. Some cooking things are cheaper to be shipping than re-buying, like a 16 inch baking stone that I've used many many times. I have a pasta maker too but I've never used it, so I am debating what to do with that at all. I can leave it here and maybe ask to have it shipped to me one day.

Fortunately I own no real furniture, and can just leave it with my parents. (They tend to find uses for friggin' everything at their other houses if you don't make a point of telling them to leave it at home so you can use it.) I'm not sure what I'm doing about my computer though... It took me 3 years to finally get this blue screening problem fixed and now that I have a real working computer, I have to leave it behind soon. It's really distressing me now that I think about it... I *Need* a full fledged computer with a capital N. Sure I can use Chaz's when he's not on it, but... just have to learn to handle that for a while I guess. The information isn't the problem, its the part where I can't do enough with a laptop and sometimes you just need a second comp in the house.

Wow, I finally found something about this move thats stressing me out. o_o

However, there is no getting rid of my stuffed kitty. I have a picture of me at 6 months old with it and that does not suffice. I have no reason to either. I am not THAT short on space and time to get it there.

Wow, getting stressed now.
//feels panicy

Reactions: rawr
We moved about every 2 years while I was growing up. I am not attached to stuff. If I can't remember why I am keeping something or who gave it to me, it goes. I learned to say goodbye and hello to people and things and don't consider it that traumatic. Change is natural. I have been living where I am at for 10 years now and that is the longest I have ever chosen to stay someplace. However, I still routinely get rid of stuff so I can make room for more stuff.