This Is Our World | INFJ Forum

This Is Our World

Discussion in 'The INFJ Typology' started by Wyote, Apr 16, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Wyote
  1. Wyote

    Wyote (#/-\[]$ ([]`/[]'|'[-
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    255
    Messages:
    37,587
    Featured Threads:
    20
    Likes Received:
    211,011
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    954 so/sx
    "For all I know, you all may be right about the entire universe. I've only observed your way of dealing with things through my own window. I'm trying to come to your house and see it for what it is on the inside, and then being more educated to make a call on things...and I might possibly steal some of your furniture to put back in my house!"



    ~Duty


    So, for all of the INFJs who want to have a go at this; Describe what it's like and what to do to help others see things the way we do. For everyone else, speak up and ask questions.

    There are good quotes pertaining to this topic scattered all around the forum, so perhaps grabbing some of those and consolidating them here would be beneficial as well.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Altruistic Muse

    Altruistic Muse Community Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Threads:
    104
    Messages:
    593
    Likes Received:
    65
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4?
    Wow, where do you even start on this? I guess I'd start with how I try to explain myself to my INTP. Firstly, every decision I make is based on some kind of value system, which has often been acquired over time, sometimes without me even noticing it. So I often have vehement ideas on things that appear to come out of nowhere. Just like the things that excite me or the things that upset me. They are all just there within me. I can be quite black and white. Immorality such as infidelity causes me to recoil and makes me angry. I guess I just have very high expectations of myself and everyone else. I don't see why people can't do their best to be helpful, thoughtful and to improve themselves. If everyone thought that we could improve then that could actually happen, I get sick of people saying "but that's not how the world works".... why? I don't understand why people can't strive to be good for once. I base most of my actions on how they will affect other people. People are the most important things to INFJs. To be continues lol, lot's of stuff to put here!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Stephanie

    Stephanie Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    Threads:
    2
    Messages:
    86
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    "Hmm, maybe I'm misjudging then. See, I've long decided I want to try it you guys' way, but I wouldn't know how to do that. I've gotten a suggestion that involves getting high and I am not willing to get high for this (plus, it doesn't sound like a fair test, as my faculties would just be impaired). Getting high is just way too far out of my comfort zone.

    I'm trying to find a way to enter your house here...to see the paradigm you all have from the inside instead of just looking at it through my window...through my lens. Any suggestions that don't involve substance abuse? :p "
    -Duty

    I've been thinking about this bit for a while now, and I'm honestly not sure it's possible. I'm truly sorry. I for one often long for others to be able to see things from "inside my house." I thought, maybe, just maybe, if you could find a willing INFJ in person you could do a sort of "job shadowing" but more of a "life shadowing." Just following them around all day and getting to know how they tick so to speak. Asking them relentlessly what they are thinking. *shrug* good luck with that though, I don't know if I could personally handle having someone like that with me. I don't know if you could handle it either, or if you could keep your mind open enough to really see the inner workings. I completely agree that INFJs don't often understand themselves, so how can we expect anyone else to understand? How can you expect to understand.

    A lot of times though, I admit, I just wish people would ask me what I'm thinking, to grant me permission to share my thoughts so I wouldn't have to try to figure out whether they wanted me to, or not, or whether it's appropriate to say something at a certain time or not. But I couldn't honestly say if I would say or not.

    I hope this makes sense. These are just my gentle musings, please don't take anything too seriously or personally! I just thought I'd share. :)
     
  4. Nickyrd2

    Nickyrd2 Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I have a hard time getting others to see things the way I do. I'll be listening in on this thread =D
     
  5. OP
    Wyote

    Wyote (#/-\[]$ ([]`/[]'|'[-
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    255
    Messages:
    37,587
    Featured Threads:
    20
    Likes Received:
    211,011
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    954 so/sx
    True it is what INFJs seem to struggle communicating the most. That is the very reason I created this thread. I am even struggling to find an appropriate way in which to express the inner workings of myself. I feel like bringing in pictures and songs and the whole lot but... I think I would be merely speaking with fellow INFJs in doing so.


    I thought this was somewhat interesting.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. arbygil

    arbygil Passing through

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2008
    Threads:
    382
    Messages:
    11,684
    Likes Received:
    1,369
    Trophy Points:
    881
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I don't know if this question is difficult because it forces us to use a cognitive process we're not used to, or if it's because we're not really good at analyzing our actions over ourselves. Maybe it's because we intuit the question first - it's a feeling deep inside - and knowing why isn't something we can put into words. It just happens. When I communicate with someone I'm immediately taking in their words and filtering what I hear. It's never just hearing someone talk. And even before they start talking I'm already analyzing them - not on purpose; it's just how I function.

    I really don't know how to turn it off or how to stop it and I've never taken the time to stop myself while it's happening. If I could stop myself (which I don't see as probable) I might have the opportunity to explain myself...but then I wouldn't be me.
     
  7. gloomy-optimist

    gloomy-optimist Used to live here

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Threads:
    29
    Messages:
    4,304
    Likes Received:
    205
    Trophy Points:
    528
    MBTI:
    INxJ
    Enneagram:
    4w3
    I see the world from some sort of detached viewpoint. I often times don't really feel like I'm an active part of the world around me.
    At the same time, though, I bridge connections that other people can't or don't really seem to see, and I do this quickly and subconsciously. I can "see" the world through other peoples' eyes...I always could do this, and relating to people on both an objective and closely personal subjective way helped me understand what they felt and what they need from a rather young age. It's gotten to the point where I can "feel" a person's emotions, mental state, and even, when I'm first meeting someone, the way their personality plays out. It's almost always accurate.

    However, as I said, I don't often feel as if I'm an "active" part of the world around me. Sometimes it almost gets to be a matrix-like feeling -- as if people are somehow "different" and I can't really react to the world in the same way they can because how I think and connect is all within me. It's hard to explain -- I can explain how my systems work and why I've come to a conclusion, but I wouldn't be able to explain how I think.

    I wrote this in the "INFJs and feelings of being alone...[etc]" thread a while back, and it might kind of show something of how it feels:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Flavus Aquila

    Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Threads:
    323
    Messages:
    10,046
    Featured Threads:
    49
    Likes Received:
    5,634
    Trophy Points:
    1,102
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Australia
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    10000
    My thoughts and understanding are complex and finely woven inside my mind, but become torn and ragged if I try to take them outside in conversation. (Ni)

    My feelings are kind and considerate on the outside, but to get them into my heart they have to crack and shred my sternum, becoming dark and painful inside. (Fe)

    I am forgiving with others and think they are all on the way to heaven, but I condemn myself to hell. (Ti)

    When talking to you on the phone, I can describe your surroundings - people, machinery, size of the room, whether there are soft or hard furnishings, etc. without thinking about it, from the sounds coming across the line; but when I am thinking about things, I am likely to run into the coffee table when walking across my own lounge room. (Se - 4th place).
     
    #8 Flavus Aquila, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  9. OP
    Wyote

    Wyote (#/-\[]$ ([]`/[]'|'[-
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    255
    Messages:
    37,587
    Featured Threads:
    20
    Likes Received:
    211,011
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    954 so/sx

    Yea, I'll second that. Also I don't mean to single you out, but the way you wrote that post - the descriptors you used and so forth are very similar to my own way of expression. My feelings and expressions are almost metaphorical... but very concrete at the same time.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. AUM

    AUM The Romantic Scientist

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Threads:
    132
    Messages:
    2,838
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,998
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I suck at explaining myself. I know what I want to say but it never makes it to my mouth because by the time it gets there other information has substituted what was relevant to the conversation. It's like if my mind went 1000mph but my mouth only 5, in my opinion they don't get along that well. I remembered that I had to do a project for my management class in school and I got a 100 on my essay but my presentation got only a 80 because I couldn't explain to my peers what my essay was about. That's when I learned that note cards where my best friend.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Onyrica

    Onyrica Community Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    138
    Likes Received:
    10
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I'm good with non-feeling communication. When it's about exposing a theoretical fact or a project, I choke a little bit at the sudden attention I get for being in the spotlight, but soon enough I get rambling on my ideas.

    When it comes to matters that involve feelings, though, I really do choke, hack and die.

    The problem, I think, is that we're so aware of our feelings - unlike most people, who usually confuse a feeling with another - that we realize the extent of them and, when trying to put them in words, there's just not enough space to fit them all. Anything you say is incomplete and innacurate, and everything you say might just fall in deaf ears because, to the world, you're just over-emotional and in need of a hug.

    So one thing about dealing with an INFJ, is showing patience and understanding. Not comprehension of what they say, maybe, but being open and not shutting down on them once you simply do not understand one point of the many they might be trying to make.

    Another thing, especially in my case, is to keep a mind open to fairness and relativeness. I don't know if it's my Ni or J, or simply my personality, but in my subconscious urge to analize people, I'll instantly think anyone's a douche if they ditch someone else's opinion without holding relativity as an option.

    As an INFJ, I believe I'm the bearer of many "truths". However, I do try to keep my mind open, because I know I'm not a god and that with my 21/22 years of life, and despite any intuition I have, I'm nowhere near knowing it all. When I don't manage this, I'm about as much of a twat as anyone else.

    Because in my self-awareness I'm this judgmental about myself, when it comes to others I'll be very critical of someone not considering someone's opinion - as silly as it might be - because it's not presented in the light of their own beliefs. Very critical of someone who see's only black, white and no shades of grey in between, basically.

    So, in all: patience and open-mindedness towards relativity. Mostly because those attitudes are the ones that Feeling mostly rely on, in my opinion, which is what makes us different from ST/NT's~
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #11 Onyrica, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  12. WhiteWolf

    WhiteWolf Community Member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    This.
     
  13. sassafras

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Threads:
    172
    Messages:
    14,345
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    43,865
    Trophy Points:
    2,376
    MBTI:
    .
    One of the best things about INFJs is that we're able to tap into what the other person is sensing or feeling. We also have an uncanny ability to know what makes others tick once we're given to opportunity to observe and get to know them.

    Someone once suggested that this puts us at a manipulative advantage. And I think it does, if only most INFJ's wouldn't balk at the idea. But rather than calling it manipulation (that word has very negative connotations, with the promise of nefarious purposes, which I think most INFJs aren't after) I rather think of it as 'guidance.'

    You tap into how this person thinks, how they feel, and then allow the chameleon quality of the INFJ personality to adjust your attitude and your wordchoices to present the information in a language they understand.

    The importance is just patience, practise and compassion for the other person. The quiet confidence of our personality, the assurance and nonthreatening softness to the way we speak and present ourselves is more likely to get the other person to see things from our point of views than anybody who threatens or tries to enforce theirs with arrogance and bullheadedness.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Milon

    Milon Director of Glomps
    Donor

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2009
    Threads:
    13
    Messages:
    1,551
    Likes Received:
    82
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ!
    Enneagram:
    6w5 SO
    This. All the time.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Jana

    Jana Searching...

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2009
    Threads:
    81
    Messages:
    2,080
    Likes Received:
    389
    Trophy Points:
    642
    MBTI:
    infj
    Just reading what you wrote make me feel lighter and better:)
    So drinks (coffee, tea, juice, whatever..) for all here, I have nothing to explain to you, you already know that:)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page