This is going to be an odd question. | INFJ Forum

This is going to be an odd question.

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
Do you or has anyone here felt as if they may have heard someone elses thought? A single word... a sentence.

When I am thinking very hard about someone, someone in a situation etc... I dont have to be looking at them or anything, I swear there are times I have heard their words. Never more than a sentence... and it only happens rarely.

You might ask how I would know if I did or not. I might say, I dont know, I just feel like that is what has happened.

Anyone else?

At least once. When it was about me.
Just a passing woman. It was something about me looking miserable.
It was different from general paranoid pondering. But there was no more when I walked past.

There have been other times when I have been sure I have heard a thought but didn't feel I should bring it up.
One time I answered a question based on just the movement of someone's eyes because I could tell what they were thinking - but they just seemed surprised at being talked to by a stranger.

Yes. It was in a math exam prep class. I was half paying attention. My teacher asked for a random number to put into an example equation he was writing. No one in the class would answer, so he would insert his own. Each time, right before he would just say a number out loud, I would hear the exact number in my mind. I was not actively trying to predict what number he would choose, I would just hear it in my mind, then he would say it out loud. I correctly 'predicted' the number every time, but only for that one day when I was in a daze. The next day I was unable to reproduce those results.

Ok so two people here so far. Seems like a bit of a coincidence doesnt it?

The one that sticks in my mind is my brothers cat. I would visit my brother often as he lived up the street from me. He had a cat. I would scratch the cat etc... so she and I were good acquaintances. One day I turned and entered the room where she liked to sit in the window. She turned and looked at me and at the same time I was hit with the thought "FRIEND" in my head so hard and so loud, it actually stopped me in my tracks. So the funny thing is, it was in English and it sounded like somebody saying "friend" as if they were purring the word.

I am not a big cat person. I like dogs and cats, dogs more. So I am not online talking about cats all the time. Not cat crazy in other words. This experience was so strange though.

For humans I guess that I have tuned into peoples thoughts maybe... 10 times in my life. Its not something I control or could ever repeat if I wanted. It just seeems sometimes as if I can hear their thoughts and yes, those words generally seem to have something to do with me.

Yes it could be imagination and the only defense I have is to say, it feels like this is what really happened.

Any more? It would be interesting to see a higher percentage of people having thought this happened than not...

Also, have you ever mentioned this experience to other people or just kept it to yourselves until now?

Yes. I was talking to [MENTION=2578]Kgal[/MENTION] earlier about how I very often would hear what a teacher would ask before they asked it.
It's just what happens.

Yes, sometimes its so clear that i feel sure they said it aloud. Sometimes its pictures, a really strong feeling, a knowing, or music or like a memory.

I'm like [MENTION=4956]charlene[/MENTION], sometimes I can here it so loud it sounds like it was said out loud. It can be a real nuisance sometimes. I get the pictures, feelings, and knowing too. No music though; not that I've noticed anyway.

This happens to me often. Sometimes for several months straight.

Edit: I'll elaborate:

When asking for directions on the street, i usually know who to ask from. Sometimes i know who's calling on the phone too.

On one occasion i knew that a person was going to go through a traumatic injury of some sort, and i told his kid which is a good friend of mine, and after he dismissed it like i was half whack, sure enough about 3 or 4 hours later he called me and told me his dad was in the emergency room, his eye got spilled out of the socket.

About hearing other's thoughts, yeah it happens to me pretty much daily in the past few months. When i get depressed i push everything away and decide i'm just mental, so it stops there, and later returns when i feel better.

It started about 7 years ago after i started practicing a lot of meditation (vipasana) and tai chi.

I wouldn't say it out loud in most places, as it can resonate with negative energy from other people towards you.

Just don't go in too deep too fast, as you might pay more than you're willing to. One step at a time, slowly and surely is the best way to go(for me anyhow).

Last edited:
So this seems like a common occurrence for people here. The only reason I brought it up is because some of the comments made about "Thinking so hard you think someone may have heard you." This reminded me about the times I thought I heard someone else. I know that from the very little research I have done, infjs turn inward and think a great deal. Previously I always thought this was something fairly unique to me because I did not know anyone else who does this. Having found out I am not unique in this aspect I ask the following question. Do you think its possible believing you occasionally hear others thoughts is unique to an infj?

Again for me this is all subjective and theoretical. I cant prove any of it though it seems as if some here have been able to. If true, if this is what is really happening... I am at a loss for words.

i don't hear their thoughts, but i very often know what someone is going to say. exactly. i also know many things at the spur of the moment. just trivial shit for the most part. i know where someone is getting off the bus, i know when i'm about to get a text message, i frequently think of someone and they show up or call me, etc.
i have a friend who was newly pregnant when i met her and immediately i knew she was having a girl. i didn't mention it of course, but recently she found out the sex of her baby...a girl of course.
it wasn't like this came to me in a dream or a voice told me or i got vibes or a vision. it was just random knowledge in my head. i will go one further and tell you something i won't tell her - she will always have girls. how do i know? i don't know, i just know.
this has happened for most of my life, and i can relate to the 'knowing' feeling.
i tried to explain it to someone once and it was impossible. people either think i'm lying or weird. in any case they still ask me stuff thinking i'm psychic lol

No, I don't hear voices in my head.

My experiences have been very much along the lines of [MENTION=4855]JGirl[/MENTION]'s. Little things that I know but don't think much about because it's so normal for me, but which apparently a great majority of people don't do. It's just knowledge that comes to me and I can't really explain how I know it. I can certainly try, but any attempt I make hits a roadblock that sends me back to "I just know."
I can talk to people who I've never spoken to before, and when they get their train of thought disturbed while talking I can almost always end up finishing their thought for them, regardless of the topic. I regularly end up knowing the names and hobbies of people with whom I've never had a conversation or meeting, mostly from peripheral knowledge and making a lot of tenuous connections. Also tending to know how cliques set themselves up, who's whose best friend, who to go to when I need something done, who to avoid when minimizing conflict in plans.
Convincing people to go with the "Just trust me, I know" line of reasoning is the hardest part. I've had to learn to bullshit my way around people a lot because of that.

So this seems like a common occurrence for people here. The only reason I brought it up is because some of the comments made about "Thinking so hard you think someone may have heard you." This reminded me about the times I thought I heard someone else. I know that from the very little research I have done, infjs turn inward and think a great deal. Previously I always thought this was something fairly unique to me because I did not know anyone else who does this. Having found out I am not unique in this aspect I ask the following question. Do you think its possible believing you occasionally hear others thoughts is unique to an infj?

Again for me this is all subjective and theoretical. I cant prove any of it though it seems as if some here have been able to. If true, if this is what is really happening... I am at a loss for words.

I've known quite a few people that have experienced this numerous times and most of them are not infjs.

Do you or has anyone here felt as if they may have heard someone elses thought? A single word... a sentence.

When I am thinking very hard about someone, someone in a situation etc... I dont have to be looking at them or anything, I swear there are times I have heard their words. Never more than a sentence... and it only happens rarely.

You might ask how I would know if I did or not. I might say, I dont know, I just feel like that is what has happened.

Anyone else?
Honest to god....I dated this girl once....late one night, I didn't want to call since it was like 3am, but, I pictured myself traveling across all the streets that it would take to reach her in my mind....and when I got to her house and room....I asked her to call me and 2 seconds later I kid you not the damned phone rang. But the strangest thing is that when I am sick, or if I have a nightmare, drunk...etc. Not in my right mind....things get knocked over...knocks on the walls....there was even a whole row of empty hangers on a rack that were violently crashed into with no one and no objects being thrown...I even checked for earthquakes....no possible explanation...other than me....or I could be haunted I suppose...but I have never seen an apparition. Trippy stuff.

Reactions: ThisIsWhoIAm
Honest to god....I dated this girl once....late one night, I didn't want to call since it was like 3am, but, I pictured myself traveling across all the streets that it would take to reach her in my mind....and when I got to her house and room....I asked her to call me and 2 seconds later I kid you not the damned phone rang. But the strangest thing is that when I am sick, or if I have a nightmare, drunk...etc. Not in my right mind....things get knocked over...knocks on the walls....there was even a whole row of empty hangers on a rack that were violently crashed into with no one and no objects being thrown...I even checked for earthquakes....no possible explanation...other than me....or I could be haunted I suppose...but I have never seen an apparition. Trippy stuff.

Some suggest hauntings are nothing more than an active mind being well, active. In other words, hauntings are relative to the observer.

For what its worth, I believe you.

Some suggest hauntings are nothing more than an active mind being well, active. In other words, hauntings are relative to the observer.

For what its worth, I believe you.
I have witnesses....lolol....that hanger one scared my ex so bad....lololol.
But it only seems to happen when my mind is altered....I can't remember if that phone call incident was after going out drinking or not....it was some time ago...I could have possibly been tipsy.
As far as what you wrote earlier...I believe you when you say you can catch a word now and again...I think it's perfectly plausible....
Not only that but I believe that certain types of people who may be good observers (not necessarily consciously) can catch many many things that other's do not and certain connections can be made in our heads to the point of knowing what word may come out of their mouth next. Not that I don't believe in extra-sensory powers of the mind....I most certainly do....and that is quite possibly the simpler answer...which logic tells us is the correct answer. I have many many times been taking a nap or sleeping...when I will wake up....go to the door and then there will be a knock....or wake up and my phone will ring a minute later....it absolutely happens.
I believe in it for sure.

Watched a discovery channel program not long ago about the mind. They did an experiment where they put two people in two separate rooms both shielded from all forms of radiation \ waves etc. Then they connected them via rigged helmet that simulated the earths magnetic field. In one room they flashed lights while the other room remained completely dark and silent.
When asked, the person in the room where nothing happened said they had the sensation in their mind of lights flashing at exactly the same time they were actually flashing lights in the other room.
The suggestion of course is, we are all connected by the earths magnetic field. To extrapolate, what we “pick up” from other people may in fact be what is currently known as ESP. ESP isnt a dirty fringe word. In the future they may sit around in classrooms saying, “Hey remember that time in history when people used to think ESP wasn’t real?”
Don’t believe the unseen doesn’t play a huge role in our lives? Explain hormones and pheromones.

Watched a discovery channel program not long ago about the mind. They did an experiment where they put two people in two separate rooms both shielded from all forms of radiation \ waves etc. Then they connected them via rigged helmet that simulated the earths magnetic field. In one room they flashed lights while the other room remained completely dark and silent.
When asked, the person in the room where nothing happened said they had the sensation in their mind of lights flashing at exactly the same time they were actually flashing lights in the other room.
The suggestion of course is, we are all connected by the earths magnetic field. To extrapolate, what we “pick up” from other people may in fact be what is currently known as ESP. ESP isnt a dirty fringe word. In the future they may sit around in classrooms saying, “Hey remember that time in history when people used to think ESP wasn’t real?”
Don’t believe the unseen doesn’t play a huge role in our lives? Explain hormones and pheromones.

I saw that program....they also did an experiment where someone was either looking or not looking at said person with their back turned... not the same person always looking at them so there was no individual pattern.... it was from a distance of 50 ft I think, separated by glass....the people who participated got it right around 80+% of the time...they could tell....not by seeing, or hearing, or touch, or sound....that they were being watched. I found it very interesting.

Last edited: